Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm Confused -49Plymouth Bumper/Shoebox Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, May 1, 2011.

1. Some posts say - to use 2 Plymouth "front bumpers"
    Other posts say - to use 2 Plymouth "rear bumpers"

* What is the answer?

* If you can --show some pics.

As usual thanks guys for your help !

2. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I dont know the answer, ive never heard that you use 2 fronts or 2 rears. Im not saying you are wrong though. Do you have the bumpers yet? If you find some, be sure to grab the bumper bolts too, the heads are curved to fit the ribs and ive heard they are tough to find. I dont know if they are reproduced yet.

3. i thought the plymouth bumpers were the same front and back. the last one i worked on we used a early 90's dodge dakota rear bumper mounted upside down. fits well, was cheap and looks pretty trick.

4. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

When I put '49 bumpers on my '51 I used bumpers off the same car---in 1959. No pics---you'll have to drill the Ford bumper brackets.

5. I always wanted 49 Plymouth ribbed bumpers on my shoebox back in the 60's and would still like to fit some on my '51 now. I have seen many installed but only a couple that looked really 100% correct. Usually they look to wide or don't fit correct at the ends. I do know that you have to modify the Ford bumper brackets some. And yes the Plymouth bumper bolts are curved to fit the ribbed bumpers (repops should be available).
    There might be something to that idea of using 2 bumpers to make one good one, but that sounds pretty extensive and very expensive (the only 49 Plymouth bumpers I have found in the past couple years were about $100.00 each and they would have to be replated!). I have seen a couple H.A.M.B. members shoeboxes that have them.
    Keep us shoebox owners posted, I still want to try it someday. Also I don't think the Brizo ribbed bumpers really look right either, but that is only my 2 cents.

6. I think the ribbed bumpers look like shit!!!! The stock Shoebox bumpers look better than anything you might want to use....IMO!

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Usually ,rears were used, they wrap around more on the ends, I used a front and rear on my 47 and like the look, that being said I would agree with Bob that I dont really care for them being used on a 49-51 Ford...but thats just my useless opinion !!

8. Let me clear what I orig meant;

I saw a post where a guy used a 49 Plymouth REAR bumper on the front of his shoebox & also used a 49 Plymouth REAR bumper for the front of his shoebox ford. (thus two Rear bumpers)

I also saw a post where a guy said to use a 49 Plymouth FRONT bumper on the front of a shoebox ford & also to use a 49 Plymouth FRONT bumper on the rear of a shoebox (thus two Front bumpers)

See the confusion here -which is correct if any??

9. Yes there is a difference in front and rear bumpers and the rear wraps around more. There is a shoebox on eBay right now where you can see the difference. See eBay#280670654455. I can see where using two rear might look better.But whatever you do don't paint them like the one on eBay, that looks like sh*t :(, but that is only my opinion.
    Hope you have good luck on getting them re-plated. In our area we are sh*t outa luck even finding someone to do it and then paying anything less than the national debt :eek:

10. Ha I was just telling my buddy he needs to take them of his plymouth last night..

[​IMG]

11. 73super

73super

I don't think those look bad. I like the car... but do think original look better.