Register now to get rid of these ads!

open drive to closed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, May 2, 2011.

1. bct

bct

can i convert my 51 truck trans to closed drive so i can use the cherry closed drive banjo (46)rear i have with it? if it is possible it would help it fit the 39 X member better too.thanks all.

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

It would make better set to make the rear into open,if you must use it:confused: seems it's a backward move though;like putting a v8 flathead in a Vet.

3. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

exactly what i was thinking

4. bct

bct

i want to run unsplit bones in the rear and build a traditional styled car.

5. bct

bct

the only way i would drive a vette is with a flathead

6. 97

If the truck trans is a one ton or bigger four speed , first gear is next to useless in a hot rod and the box is way too heavy anyway. It would be possible to convert it but it's not a bolt together deal using stock Ford parts. You would be better off getting the T5 conversion from CrazydaddyO
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256226.
    If the trans is a three speed pickup trans it will be just as easy to go find a 38-39 Trans .

Here is the info you need

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_drawings_trans.htm

7. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Is it going into a 51 truck? If so a closed drive and unsplit bones are going the wrong way...

8. bct

bct

fuck me . i must be on the wrong site.

i can't find a 38- 39 . i have the 1/2 ton truck trans and access to the clam shell? stuff from a 38.

9. bct

bct

thanks for the link ...

10. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

A couple things. Some 1/2 tons also came with the HD 4 speed and there was a HD 3 speed in there as well. I don't know if these can be converted to the torque tube, I am not sure if any of the HD stuff had torque tubes, and if so it would be '30s vintage. Does the U-joint bolt directly to the back of your '51 trans?

Is your transmission a toploader or side shift? In '51 Ford started using the new gears in the light duty 3 spds and the gear set will determine how easy the swap will be. For the light duty 3 spd swap you need to replace the output shaft as well as the rear trans mount. The mount and the shaft are shorter. The newer ('51 style) set of gears are not compatible with the '39 style gears so you would have to replace all of the gears in the box.