Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 chevy coupe on a 56 chevy frame.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49Chevysled, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Sounds like "custom" to me! If it works, It oughta be great. That fence post is just a temporary "spreader" right? :eek:

2. I have cutt so many cars up and i got a rash of shit for it but when I was done the ones that gave me shit couldnt beleave how they turned out!! Great Job !! Keep up the good work !! "Any one can Restore and Car Butt it takes a Real Man to Cut one Up"!! Words from a 65yr old Fart that lives in my town!!

3. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

Looks good to me. The only problem I see is the scrub line violation, allowing the frame to contact the ground. I would suggest you reconsider this and put in some hard stops so if you lose air on the road your frame or body does NOT contact the ground. It will get real exciting really fast. Leaving a 1/2 nch of clearance to the ground would keep an inconvience from turning into a disaster. (I'd leave more than an inch if it were me). If you really need to set it on the frame at a show make the stops removable. But put them back in when you are on the road.

Hank

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You are absolutely right; it's your car, your frame, your project, and your money. Obviously, someone has spent a lot of time and money on the seamless frame before you came into it; tubular arms, setup to bag it, removed the trans mount horns, converted it to side mounts, and installed a rear shock bar. And you got it for almost nothing. BUT, to a tri-five lover as myself, it's just a terrible thing to see. Just terrible. And so were my "comments"; I'm sorry for that . It's obvious the T-post is just temporary, as well as the 4 X 4 wood post. Your original post was, "any ideas or COMMENTS are welcome". I've been blasted too. l currently have two 56 Chevrolet Sedan Deliveries, which brings my tri-five count I've owned to 15 I believe. I also have a 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe, that I have given to my nephew; along with the V-8/auto trans/56 Posi 4.88 rear that are now in the car; and essentially all the money and work to do it. I would have kept it a six cylinder, and had all the conversion parts to go to a 194-215-230-250-292 style six, and keep the original torque tube drive line (sold that to a HAMBER). But, it's not the way HE wanted to go. And you're going your way. So, keep it up, and finish it; don't abandon your project, like the former owner of your seamless frame did. I'm no grouch or hater either, just opinionated. Now, I have a spare 56, 2 piece frame I can't give away, but I won't cut it up. I also have a friend that deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts; he cuts up entire cars all the time, and it makes me sick. I guess we all have different perspectives, and you got mine. Again, sorry. Send me a P.M., name and address, and I'll send you some $, no kidding. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I agree...do it YOUR way!

6. I like what you done. keep up the good work. you other assholes, shut the fuck up. Tired of hearing you all pissing all over a guy, trying to share his ideas with you. his car, leave your opinions in the toilet, where they belong.. :mad::mad:

7. gsport

gsport

to me.... i think this is "real" hot rodding

8. norton58

norton58

It takes a big man to apologise Butch, good on you, that was great to see.

The '49 looks well, looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers, Matt
    Melbourne, Australia

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

good job. good idea. If nobody ever chopped any thing up. There wouldent be hot rods.

10. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I was totally surprised at the outcome- that's really great and it looks amazing. However, I stand by the idea that frame swaps are rarely a good idea. This is just one of those rare moments.

See.. the majority of people who frame or clip their cars don't really know how much work is involved, get in over their heads and fail. miserably.

So- that's certainly not a project I would have tackled personally... but then again, I'm a hack :)

11. i agree good onya butch.

the swap looks like it went well and IMO you couldnt have picked a better car to "destroy" than a '56 chev i'm not a tri five fan and i think the '56 is the worst of a bad bunch but thats just my opinion, fact is theres alot of aftermarket parts out there for tri fives which will make things easy if you want/have to change things. as for the lay frame idea i dont think its a good one (tho im not a fan of bags) as has been said if they let down while driving you'll be in all sorts of trouble. i know a guy with a '55 chev on bags, he was driving along one day and the bags let down and tore the sump off his brand new 572 crate motor:eek: (one of the first ones sold in aus). when he built the car he was careful to make sure that nothing hung below the chassis but that dosent make a difference when theres massive wheel ruts in the road (yeah i know the roads over here are shithouse:mad:). anyway good luck with the rest of the build and i believe you have the right attitude to make it work. fuck the nay sayers

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

I helped a buddy put a 39 Chevy on a one piece 57 Frame 10 or so years ago to replace the too wide camaro clipped orig frame....tried for a few months to sell the 1 piece frame ,(we were both into 55-57's) no takers ,so it went under the 39,channeled abit cause it needed new floors anyways, worked out real slick. Of coarse after we did it one of the local 57 purists tried to ream us out for ruining the frame lol . I think you did a great job and should be proud of it !

13. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

yes lays frame

14. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

to make this clear this was just a frame with no body when i found it. it was either going to get scrapped or left to rott...

thanks!

15. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

I have no beef with you..... im always open to constructive criticism different peoples ideas. But there is a difference between constructive criticism (your last post) and bashing comments (your first post).

thanks for you opinions!

16. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

Thanks guys! yes its a custom! you gotta cut some stuff up!!

17. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

THanks Hank,
    I do have to look into that. I do want to lay frame for shows but def not mess up the frame when cruizin. Well def figure something out for that.

thanks

18. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

THanks,
    i agree it was alot of work. its not something i decided to do overnight. I took my time planning things out before i was sure it would work out

19. slammed49

slammed49

Well said...nice job 49 Sled....some guys cant fab so there haters!

20. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

Thanks!
    yea thats always a concern with bags. I will only lay frame at shows. will look into putting a removable stopper some how as a fellow hamber mentioned before.

21. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

THanks!!

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

It is what it is. If you're tight on cash like I always am, you make what you can get your hands on Work. That's why all my cars are "hot rodded custom", it takes too much money to restore one correct. Glad you could get it to work out, hope you follow it through.

23. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

lol....
    yea the post was temporary. Had to cut the tail end of the frame some. i was low on steel...

its poor mans engineering....lol

24. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

I agree with you 100%

thanks

25. classic gary

classic gary

you know it's kinda funny, people don't blink an eye at a '32 Ford frame with "A" crossmembers and an "A" body on it................

26. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

i'd leave it, especially if you can see it.
    your car, do it your way...

that said, most people looking for frame swap advise have no fab skills and are looking for bolt on frame swaps.
    they have no welder and a hand box full of tools.

you obviously do not fit in this category

27. riskybiz

riskybiz

Nice job 49chevyled. I agree with slammed49. I like to piss off the Mopar purist when I pull into a show in my 59 Dodge and drop it so as to lay frame. I grafted a 79 Camaro frame front clip and 4 linked the rear bagged all four corners. Installed Chevy 350/700. I have 56 & 57 Chevy's bulit in Oakland with one piece frames. So by using the 56 frame the pervious owner didn't want or need you were able to keep part of that car around and still in use and not melted down into pig iron. Keep posting pictures of build and don't listen to the ney sayers.

28. metalix_421

metalix_421

if it didnt fit so well and look so good, id say cut that frame up just to point out that its your frame once again:mad: lol I love getting peoples heart rate up though:cool:

29. BadLuck

BadLuck

looks good... i had a camaro front clip on mine bagged and the front width was too wide and i couldnt turn the wheels without hitting the fenders! went back to the original frame and couldnt be happier! maybe yours is narrower.. anyways, glad it worked out for you..

i have to agree with the guy that advised on the bump stops... mine laid frame also until one of the airlines popped and it slammed on the ground with my kids inside with me... never again.. i put bump stops in.. and aired all the way out, i have an inch of clearance.. at least i can pull to the side of the road safely.. might take a few pavement reflectors out. but way better than losing control of the vehicle and putting yourself and other people in danger.. keep us posted on the progress.. enjoy!

30. crazycory1

crazycory1

His front wheels might not rub because he is using 49-54 deluxe style 15 inch wheels. The offset is different that 55 up wheels i beleive.