Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

2. 65COMET

65COMET

That picture of Dyno Don at Carlsbad in post #3516 must be from one of his first outings with the new 65,there are other similar shots from there.The track is long gone,covered by new developements,they used to have the drag strip and motocross tracks there,was getting pretty bad towards the end. ROY.

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

It was early 65. That was when Ford was telling its drivers to not run the AWB Mopars.
    Used to watch the motocross on Wide World of Sports or some TV show from Carlsbad.So nice they put developments there.
    When you say bad,was that it was run bad or turned into a shithole or maybe get a shiv in the back?
    Just a curious East Coast guy that has good memories of Carlsbad on the tube.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

No problem with gangs that I heard of,it was just falling apart.The staging lanes had crumbled away[uphill],the return road had potholes you could lose a VW Bug in,most of the pits had gone to dirt,weeds growing up through the cracks in the track,etc.But you could understand why as the owners knew they were on borrowed time.It at one time was a fast track,almost sea level and down in a revine out of the wind. ROY.

5. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

I spoke to Willie Stroppe at Fabulous Fords 2010 and I am pretty sure he said the busines was closed. Do you know for sure its still there?

6. 65COMET

65COMET

CDXXVII;I looked it up,it is still listed in Paramount,CA.,to late to give them a call,I would think that Willie Stroppe should know though.They are listed at 15530 Texaco Ave.,Paramount,CA.,90723,562-790-2317. ROY.

7. Muttley

Muttley

Hey guys, the hot Summer is just around the corner and soon I'll be doing a little maintenance on the cooling system. I have a new fan shroud that needs to be installed but I'm not sure which way is up. I'd also like to know how exactly you are supposed to install this thing with the fan still attached? What I'm planning to do is cut it in half and weld some tabs on the sides so I can install it in two pieces and then bolt it back together. That way the fan wont have to be removed to install the shroud. The only problem is its not marked and I'm not sure which way is up. I want to make sure when I cut it the tabs will be on the sides, not the top & bottom.

[​IMG]

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;just looking at it I would say the bottom in the picture is the top.I say this because the cutout on the upper right of the picture should be for the drain petcock.There should be mounting tabs that attach to the radiator mounting bolts and space out the shroud and attach to the four slotted holes on the shroud.None of my Comets ever had the shroud,I understand it was for cars with AC,not sure how well it works. ROY.

9. Hey muttley Is the pet cock on the bottom Right? If thats the case wouldn't the left side in the picture be the top? and the right side of pic be the bottom?

10. Muttley

Muttley

Hmm, I never thought of using the petcock as a guide. I'll probably just wait until I flush the radiator, pull it out and go from there. Thanks for the info guys.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;did you get the four mounting tabs with the shroud?It would be easier to pre-fit the shroud with the radiator out,then take it off,slide it over the fan/water pump before installing the radiator.I've been looking for pictures of a factory shroud,no luck! ROY.

12. Muttley

Muttley

Yeah, I do have the four mounting tabs. The way you described may be easier, I'll give it some thought and figure out how I'm going to tackle it.

13. Muttley

Muttley

I bought that shroud from Dreaborn Classics, its a copy of the factory part as far as I know.

14. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

15. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Sweet!

Maybe I should've bought that '64 wagon in CO. Is it still for sale?

16. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Well i've been keeping up with this post for a while so I thought I'd finally add my project to it. Long story short I found this car awhile ago and my brother ended up buying it. He ended up with other car projects goin on, and I sold my dirt track car so the garage was empty . So to keep a another dirt track car outta my garage he gave it to me. Its a '64 post car from the outside its pretty nice but as most comet guys know ...the torque boxes were GONE... and the lower quarters on each side and core support. The interior is in really good condition black, bench seat. It had a locked up 260 in it at the time. Im going for a close as period correct b/fx car. Heres some pics of the progress so far ...the drivers side torque box is done ,didnt get any pics of that side in progress but Im working on the passenger side now so I thought Id snap some pics.... Jim

Attached Files:

17. bkhpah

bkhpah
    from Latrobe PA

Welcome to the HAMB ..BKH

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Jim;should be a cool ride when you are done.You have probably found that there are not many repro parts for our Comets.Floors are available,same body style Falcon and Comets use same floors,and some other parts.It looks like you can fabricate most of what you will need,which is a major plus with these cars!! ROY.

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I needed to take a break from the Comet, and found a new tow vehicle!!
    I DID finally get the exhaust system ceramic coated with with Tech-Lines new ceramic coat titanium finish. I like it over the shiny stuff for two reasons. More correct look, and the color had a higher heat failure temp than the chrome stuff:
    [​IMG]

Here's the new ride. Tell me, when is the last time you saw one of these?::D
    [​IMG]

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Went to see Carlos Santana in Santa Barbara riding in one of those with the "BIG"slant six,light blue and white,engine froze up on the way home!!!!My first tow vehicle was a 69 D100,short box,panel van with a 318,torqueflight,towed the Comet and my ski boat all over So.CA.!!!! The exhaust looks great! I picked up a set of 351W swap headers today,may need to make some changes,won't know until I get the new engine in. ROY.

21. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  22. spiertb

spiertb

Teddisnoke--post #3534--Did you coat the pipes yourself or have them done? I haven't been able to find anyone who does the titanium color here on the East coast. Thanks. Syl That color would look super on my Comet's headers.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  23. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

24. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I had them done by our powder coater, who aslo does ceramic coatings. They do all Dougs headers, and I think several other manufactures as well.
    Tech Line Coating is the ceramic brand, pretty well known line, and anyone that wet coats ceramic should be able to shoot it and bake it for you. If you have issues, let me know. I'll be glad to help you get 'em done out here. (CPHCP- 'C'omet 'P'eople 'H'elping 'C'omet 'P'eople!)

Dale

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

26. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

Taken from the AFX Falcon thread
    [​IMG]

27. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

This years new look for mine. Got some new wheels and removed a couple stickers. Now I just need to have my torque converter rebuilt and get back to the track.

Before...
    [​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Mumbles;you wagon looks great! In your post #3541 of the 64 wagon,the #647 is the same as Fast Eddie Schartman's on his 65 Comet,do you know who's wagon that was? ROY.

29. This is the ex-Dyno/Schartman "Duckling" when Steve Bagwell had it. He was the last owner and burried it.....:eek:

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Jody;Thanks for clearing that up!! The only other pictures I had seen were in black and white and I hadn't noticed the car number before. ROY.