Register now to get rid of these ads!

sand blasting model A fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elcamino65, May 1, 2011.

1. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I am getting ready to sand blast a set of model a fenders. I am running a 40lb blaster hooked to my shop compressor. I have heard the blasting the underside of a pannel will warp it. Does anyone see a problem doing the underside of the fenders. There isnt a ton of paint on the bottom side just a coat or two and some surface rust.

2. i've never warped a model A fender when sandblasting. i use to use a very large compressor and pot.

3. PeteVS FP NJ

PeteVS FP NJ

It's my understanding that blasting dead on perpendicular is similar to hammering the metal due to the impact of the medial and that you'd be better off blasting so that the media strikes the metal at an angle. You also might want to keep the blasting pressure low to reduce effects of impacting media. IMHO

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I blasted mine, as long as you dont rage on the air pressure, theres no way your going to warp Henry steel, use a tip that doesnt concentrate the media in one tight group. also what Pete said, , shoot at an angle as you work the fender.

5. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

how much air pressure do you think i should run?

Also what is something i could blast with that is not going to kill me that might be available localy.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  6. dont point the nozzle directly onto the metal
    hit it at a glancing blow...kind of like icing a cake....yes i bake alot
    tk

7. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

heat warps the panel not the sand
    try not to work the same area
    move around

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i've never media blasted anything with pot, dont the seeds get caught in the nozzle?

:p

9. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Ive read about silcon sand. I have a respirator for spraying pesticides do you guys think that should keep me alive.