Register now to get rid of these ads!

Apparently people used to be skinnier...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aceuh, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Funny....... all of the guys that have mentioned "people are taller today". Like being 2 inches taller than an average person in the 1850's justifies being 250+ LBS heavier. :eek:

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

While most folks are taller today than years ago ... you
    CAN LOSE the WEIGHT :D

[​IMG]

Here I am at 355 pounds ( 6 foot 2 inches tall ) ... along with Hotrodladycruiser and HotrodPrimer ... on the steps at Knoxville TN NSRA Nats South a few years ago.

And here I am in Los Angeles CA @ the Limeworks Party ... pre LA Roadster gathering in 2010. Not exactly slim at 210 pounds but a whole lot lighter and a good bit heathier ... ( still about 10/15 overweight :eek: )

[​IMG]

I just quit eating fried foods and almost NO bread. No French Fries ... no fast food burgers ... pizza rarely eaten. Water and Diet Sodas :) :) I eat a lot of vegetables, salads, baked or grilled chicken and some white fish ( Tilapia) grilled. Took about 18 months ... but I now take less than 25% of the medicene I used to take.

My Doctor told me to not lose anymore for awhile.
    I need to get back on my diet around fall of the year.

I will be 195 ... by Christmas 2011.

3. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

i would need to get a trailer for a cooler of beer.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Damn Randy, now I can hate you for your 2 deuces AND your weight loss. I left high school at 6'2" and 150#. My waist was 29" and I could run 3-4 miles and not be winded. Today I'm pushing 290# and have actually lost about an inch of height (those french fries must have compaction factor:D) and I have a time power walking 2 miles (no more running with two knee replacements this past year).

Frank

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:) :)

Just buy and then BUILD a 32 3W coupe. :D $$$
    No money left over for McDonalds, Wendy's and Burger King :rolleyes:

Weight loss ...
    It is after all just a life style change. And a constant fight to keep it off.

Randy

6. What Rabdy described is basically the PALEO diet. It is OT as far as cars but living longer to ENJOY the cars is OT IMHO

Try www.everydaypaleo.com if you want to learn how to do this.

Nosurf is doing this and loves it. Not a fad at all.

7. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Look at the size of the dinner plates compared to when you were a kid and gone to your grand parents house to eat.

8. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Nice RZ350 in your avatar , I have one of those and the RD500 as well.;)

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I'm 6'1" 250, live in a cube 40 a week:confused:, my lil bro who plays college ball and works out 4 hours a day is 5'11" 195 of lean muscle:eek:. neither of us "fit" the old model t, A or such. It is a fact of life, we are bigger with better nutrition or fast food. Europe and America have the same stats. We are all bigger than our ancestors. However, the chinese guys fit in your little hot rod just fine.:p

the answer is: eat more kung pao chicken if you want to hot rod.:D

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My wife and i were watching a re-run of The Dukes of Hazzard, and realized a few things:
    Boss Hog was considered a fat slob when that show was new, but now he doesn't even register as being "overweight."
    Daisy Duke's boobs just aren't that big, but damn they were huge back in the day!
    And her famous caboose is pretty large compared to today's anorexic waifs.

For that matter, Linda Carter, aka Wonder Woman, had CURVES, and they weren't small either. I have no doubt she'd be considered a "Plus size model" today, but damn she looks good in those old pics. "Broad where a broad is s'posed to be broad," as Sinatra once said.

As for McDonalds and stuff, I was born in '70, and remember McDonalds being a treat, and mom and dad dressing up and hiring a baby sitter for the night so they could go out to a sit-down restaurant.

-Brad

11. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

Today the Coast Guard has recalculated the weight of an average person on a boat to 185 lbs.

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My wife has studied food, diets and everything for several years. She's found a lot of really interesting info... one of the biggest thing she's learned is that white flour is now refined and re-refined so much that your body doesn't have to break it down anymore, and immediately stores it as sugar. The reason it's refined so much is to keep the weevils and other bugs out... remember when your mom would bake with flour and she had the little sifter cup with the screen on the bottom of it, and the handle/scraper thing in it? You'd fill the cup with flour and break up the clumps and sift out the big unrefined pieces.
    That's not needed today, because the flour is refined so fine that bugs won't even eat it anymore, because it has no nutritional value.

When you eat it, your body thinks it's sugar, and stores it as such, unless you use it immediately. (Work out after eating it, etc).
    As a sugar, it also tricks your insulin production... hence part of the rise in diabetes.

Whole grain breads get broken down by your body in the normal manner... over a longer period of time, so your body has time to work it off before it's stored as fat.

She works out, avoids white flour like the plague, and is in pretty good shape.

My mom is the opposite, has onset diabetes, and can't understand why she has a "sugar crash" in the evening after eating rolls and butter at dinner.

-Brad

13. Good for you. I went from 291 down to current 192 in about 2 years time. For those who say they can't lose weight that is crap. it's calories in calories out. As you said it is a lifestyle choice.

Go to a good fitness site like bodybuilding.com and find our maintenace calories..that is the calories you consume every day where you won't gain or lose weight. Find that number on their calculators and then take 500 calories off of that and you will get your goal. Under this 500 cal daily deficit you will lose 1-1.5 lbs per weeks which is the ideal amount.

Don't do any fad diets. All they are is dissapointments. As the poster said above just eat right. Don't starve yourself either. If you lose weight too quickly you will end up getting lose skin. Google it.

One of the best ways to lose weight is a good weight lifting regiment. Cardio is great but the metalabolic factor fater 45 minutes of running is someting like 3-4 hours. After lifting weights it is something like 12-14 hours. LW creates a blast furnance in your body. I still do cardio every day for my heart and joint health.

14. aceuh

aceuh

I think this is the best on topic/ off topic thread I've participated in on the HAMB :D

15. havi

havi

The on-going joke among my friends who worked with me in the Boundary Waters is that the 6 man tent was actually a 6 man homosexual midget tent. :D

I can attribute skate boarding to keeping me in shape during my teens, along with walking in the woods everyday in Fall, and hockey in Winter. Nowadays I'm thinking of just cutting myself in half to fit in my KB2. And I've only gained maybe 10 pounds since 1989.

But if I sat in front of the tv or played video games all day, my dad would have had my ass in a sling.

16. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

If anyone needs a skinny test driver for their car, give me a call! :D

17. Greezeball

Greezeball

I gotta get on the healthy wagon. I quit smoking last year and have piled on 20 lbs. I'm 5'11" and 205 now. I've been 180-185 since 17 years old and I'm really feeling the extra 20. I'm 40 now. I guess replacing smokes with potato chips was a bad idea. Lol! Can't pass up a good burger either.

18. One of my favorite bumper stickers = " Eat right , Exercise, Die anyway" , of course it is the timing that gets us.

19. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Augh... glad you made it through it!

20. My great-grandfather Miles Turner (Born 1859, died 1940) stood 6' 8" and wore size 16 shoes. I've often wondered how he folded himself up into a Model T or A Ford.

21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

My younger 6'6" brother had a good time driving my 5" chopped 28 :D but he's only 190-200lbs

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  22. I noticed that by the old phone booths in Philippe's in LA........as I was waiting for my sandwich :).

I have some of my grandpas old clothes (50's-60's) and he was SMALL, skinny and short. There is NO WAY I'll ever be 150 and look healthy.

23. kooldaddy-o

kooldaddy-o

Easiest way I have heard about to lose weight is "eat like a caveman"

Think about it !!!!

24. When I was in the 8th grade (1959) I was 6'1" and weighed 195 .

25. striper

striper

Look at any pic from the lakes around the late 40s or early 50s and try to find the fat guy. He's not there

[​IMG]

Then have a look for the skinny guy in a pic from Bonneville any time over the last 10 years. Guess what....?

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

But it IS traditional!!!

"Eat like a predator, not like prey."

Maybe this is OT, but to me it's damn important. Not only do I need to fit in my model A coupe, I'd like to be around for awhile to enjoy it. Let alone all the projects I need to work on over the next few decades.

At the begininning of this year (Jan '11) I (6'-3 age 43) was over 285 lbs. I started following the "Primal Blueprint". Now I am around 245 lbs, and I have SO much more energy and gumption to do stuff, it's amazing really.

I walk 2-3 miles everyday over lunch at work. I do some circuit training a couple times a week (pushups, pullups, plank, squats etc) and run with some sprinting once a week.

The main thing is like Randy said- cutting out all those sugars/carbs. Once I got over the "Carb Flu", I was amazed at how I wasn't hungry all the time. I keep track of my food intake and exercise on www.fitday.com.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I still have a ways to go, I'd like to get to around 210. But I am just eating right so my body will level out to where it needs to be, so I am not worried.

I love BACON!!!

27. rrauthority

rrauthority

How ironic. Boats have a similar sticker........just without tires!

28. When were door knobs placed lower. I am restoring a house built in 1901 and the door knobs are the same height as the house I live in now. The current residence had a new door installed about 7 years ago.

People are just heavier than they used to be. I think it has to do with the quantity of processed food that we eat. But I could be wrong.

29. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

i'm 26 , 6'1 189lbs and most of the cars i like, i can't fit in .

30. 189 isn't heavy isn't fat for 6'1" you are just big, period. I'm not a big man by any means and '20s and early '30s econmy cars are just not ideal until modified.