Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carlisle swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodzz2010, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Went yesterday, cool overcast/sunny, then rains came at about 3:00.
    I found the glove box door for my '39 Ply coupe and a few odds and ends. My brother in law scored a nice steering wheel for his '56 Chevy for $40 and running board covering material for $25 (the seller bought it for his car then sold the car and never re-covered the boards).
    Best score of the day was the HAMB brownies that Talljohn and I got at Stan's Stainless, Carlisle ain't Carlisle without the HAMB brownies.
    Made a very short/quick pass thru the car corral, didn't see much that interested me, no bargains.

2. 270283

Anyone else notice that the fence at the car corral by Gate 7 was covered this year. Looks like management didn't want to share the shoppers with the homeowner who rents spaces in his backyard. At least he always had collector cars parked there, as opposed to the car corral being filled with more and more "used" cars every year.

3. 29pu

29pu

i found a 11 bolt halibrand champ with no cracks or welds,perfect 4:11 ring & pinion,gear set ,front and rear covers,bearings,bottom shaft,bearing retainer and all studs for 200.00.the only halibrand champ rear i seen there.

4. I walked in gate 5, I could go left or right- I went left.
    Looked for Vicky specific parts OT k5 blazer and ot 92 cutlass convertible stuff.
    I bought coffee, a sweatshirt, hamburger, and a sandwich.
    I walked the whole freaking thing and then in the very last row with only 30 spots left to see there they were, 16.5 x8 6 LUG Ansen slots for my k5. Had I gone right when I walked in I'd have found them in the first 5 mins.

5. racemad55

racemad55

Got a Frankland QC,with brand new ring &pinion ,10 gear changes,alum. side bells.

6. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Ford stuff was few and far between but still some deals picked up a NOS 40 sedan delivery fender, chrome flathead 3-bolt timing cover, 40 e-brake handle, 40 distributor, and some new eelco fuel fittings for strombergs

7. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Found a nice Fulton visor for Chevy truck,Had some Brownees at Stan's Stainless,Both a Good Deal ! Lucky

8. studemisfit

studemisfit

I went friday(had lasik done so took off) and dragged the wife and kid thinking it wouldnt be to crowd. Boy i was wrong, took a half hour to find a parking spot as ever lot had the FULL sign out. Wasn't to bad but looking for parts for my 62 Merc was a lost cause. Looking foward to the All Ford Nationals and the import show too as I have older BMW's and VW's.

9. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I actually had an ok time there today (Saturday). Found a spot RIGHT next to gate 1. Whoever said to start in the North Field was dead wrong...that place blew donkey bawls. It was a gaw durn Turkish bazaar. The only place at Midway that I cared about seeing was Speedway, but I guess I accidentally skipped their row. I was there for four hours, my wife and infant son were crazy ready to go home, so I made a hail Mary pass down the first row that I passed when I went in....BINGO. Got a AWESOME Model A hood that was priced at 100 bucks for only 20. They guy just said "I don't want to haul it around anymore...you can have it for $20" SOLD. I then hit up Honest Charlie's (Owned by Coker, I guess) and picked up some front suspension parts. They weren't deals or anything, just stuff that I couldn't find for the life of me anywhere else. I actually think their prices were a bit higher than most online retailers I've seen, but I know some guys that worked for them had their houses blown up by the tornados last week, and they're "my people" so I took it in stride and wrote it off as "shipping costs included". If it hadn't been for that last row, I'd have come on here bitching about the whole show XP

10. Yea think I saw it. Polished with what?

11. sawzall

sawzall

First time in a long time that I "COULDN'T" attend..

A bad day at the Carlisle would have been better than the day I had at work.

my friend Mr. Tokyo was good enough to send a few pics of this
    [​IMG]

I'm still dissappointed that I couldn't see it in person..

12. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Jeff I saw that there I'm actually thinking of buying it for my dad(not an early ford not really my style but he's always wanted a woody wagon and the price seems good since all the wood work is done

13. Scott76

Scott76

I was there Thursday to Friday. Thursday was not crowded at all (maybe be cause of the early weather wasn't good), but Friday was PACKED!! I had a blast talking to Stan & Jeff (plus the brownies are great too). Its great to be able to talk to some old rodders who know what they are talking about and can bounce some ideas off of them. They pointed me in the right direction. Thanks guys. Besides the great time with Stan & Jeff it kind of sucked for me. I had a big list of stuff I was on the hunt for & a pocket full of $. I got flux brushes there and ubolts at a local trailer store in town and that was it off the list.

I did manage to score a complete 29-31 Chevy grill

I did hear that yesterday (Saturday) was dead and empty vending spots. On the other hand I heard that this was the first time in years that the vendors spots have been sold out in years.

14. banjorear

banjorear

I've heard you have plans to try and bring it from the dead.

How are those plans coming?

15. Picked up a 4" Merc crank. Gotta take it by the machine shop and see if it's any good. I either got a cheap Merc crank or expensive door stop :D

Got a Creitz 2x4 intake for a SBC and another T5 as well.

16. banjorear

banjorear

Ain't that the truth.

You'd give some of these folks a $100 bucks and they complain that it wasn't $101.

A swap meet is a just like a pot luck dinner. You don't know what you're going to get until you get inside. Sometime you'll be at one's serving up grilled cheese before you hit one serving nice T-bones.

17. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i was there friday. had a great time and picked up a bunch of stuff. steering wheel, shock mounts, spark plug wire, some tools, window cranks and some other stuff. there was one guy with a ton of real nice flathead speed parts, but a little out of my price range. should have dug deep and picked up the navarro heads he had.

searched all day for a round model a speedo and only saw 6 oval speedos. drooled over thunderbird's roadster and the roadster with the nailhead on it. after looking at their rides, decided I am going to go with firestone bias plys so stopped by coker to buy tires, but they didn't have what i needed at the show. ate a good pulled pork sammich.

got there at 6am, left at 3pm covered all the isles and skipped the corral and only stopped for 15 mins to eat.
    ________
    FreshBerry cam

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  18. wally426ci

wally426ci

Wanted to go but wound up working on my Challenger instead, looking forward to Chrysler Nationals.

19. jmthehermit

jmthehermit
    from Bath, Pa.

Had a great time again vending with Stan and meeting a lot of new HAMB members. For the last three years I've been baking some treats to hand out to the HAMB'ers that stop at Stans Stainless. This year it was three dozen brownies, a molasses crumb and also a peach crumb cake. We had at least 50 HAMB'er stop and the first timers were surprised by the hospitality. I just explain that this is drawback of admitting to be a HAMB'er, while impressing a few wives too. Here are a few pictures. One of the goodies. The signs to look for while walking the aisles at shows. Our favorite regular, black p-15 coupe with Talljohn. And the leftovers. So to all HAMBers who stopped, I just want to say again it great meeting you. Jeff (jmthehermit)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

i also went on friday. Had a good time and walked 200 miles. I did find some stuff. Some vintage wieand valve covers, pete and jakes headlight stands, shocks, steering box, and a repop set of 682's for only $230.00 As usual it was well worth the trip for me.

21. Got there on Sat. 7am left about 6pm most stuff was over priced for instance 59 Impala steering wheel $365. Sbc Hilborn in poor condition $1400. I bought stain. braided fuel line and An fittings for it, and a few small items i could have found here at home. Carlisle just ain't what it used to be and way to many tool spaces. I Found more good stuff at local Maple Grove raceway flea mkt. in April, and you good dicker for a lower price.

22. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I got to spend a fun day with some friends,scored a N*va disc brake spindle setup from a real nice fella for $20. and got to meet some fellow HAMBers.
    bigbob55 was nice enough to allow us to stash our stuff at his Moonlight Memories site and we drank his beer for him!

The vendors didn't seem to eager to sell this year? Some were cool enough,but mebbe the ec*n*my is kicking everyone's backside enough to take the fun out of things?

Did see what we thought was an okay deal-roller 32 frame,plumbed with an unnamed f/gl*ss roadster body,doors/trunk lid hung,windshield frame for $13,000.

Carlisle is what it is and what we make it,I guess?

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  23. 5window

5window

I went Saturday, 9-4:30. It was a perfect weather day. Crowd was okay, but not huge and a lot of vendors seemed to pack it in about 2PM. I scored some free stuff-side mirrors I can mount on my tractor, a good tool box (who has too many?). I found the parts I needed to fix my big barn doors, all the rubber bits I needed for replacing the glass in my A, the electrical fittings I needed and the stainless hardware I wanted.

For stainless, who buys from Totally Stainless-$10/pack. Really? I always hit up the Bucket of Bolts guy-small one man operation, seems to be good quality. very good prices.

It didn't seem like there were a lot of aggressive sellers and the number of hotrods has really declined in the car corral over the years. Parking in the armory is now $10-last time I'll try that since just down the road are yards you can park in for $5.

While Carlisle isn't what it used to be, I had a good time, got in a good walk, fooled around cars all day. I'll be back.

Oh, and it seemed like all the food vendors were changed and what happened to the guy I bought hot Italian sausage from all these years? Now it's a chain. pretty good sausage, though. :)

24. I vended from Wed-Sat and sold a boatlaod and so did the other two guys I was with on our 5 spots around II29. I sold every piece of sheetmetal I had, including a 39 Ford p-up cab, bedsides, running boards, complete front nose sheetmetal, 39 Ford std car front fenders, a 40 front and rear end, all my 57 Chevy sheetmetal, and misc other stuff. I did meet a few HAMB'rs and some Fordbarn folks that stopped by which was great, had a great time with my buds from LI (where I used to live), and all-in-all it was a great trip.

Spring and Fall Carlisle is where I make my money to play in this hobby. It takes a bit of getting used to (over 20 years of going have taught me some of the ins and outs), understanding, etc, but once you've got it down, you can really find some killer deals as I have done many times in the past. If you look at the vendor spots/rows from the grandstand on down to gate 1, these are the more pricier spots. Move up towards the north field from the grandstand the prices get better and although the comment about the north field was true to an extent, most of our buying was done up there this time. Go figure ....

Thanks to those that stopped by - nice to put a face to your name here on the HAMB!

25. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

Was there on Saturday also, got there about 7:15 left at 4. Didn't find any "deal of a lifetime" items but picked up stuff I needed. Took the wife this year (her first) she bought something before I did.:p Weather was great walked most of the isles.

Hey Ranunculous it was nice meeting you :D

26. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Back at ya! HAMBers is good people!

27. Jay71Vette

Jay71Vette

I was there on Saturday - great weather, and the crowd was manageable. I took my 6 yr old son & wife for the first time ... I spent $30 on small items, my son spent $100 on toys/t-shirts/etc (LOL). He loved walking the aisles and cruising the car corral. A flat black '55 Chevy Handyman caught his eye, as well as the muscle cars. We all had a great time and would go back again as a family. Surprisingly, my wife didn't complain once ... she must be setting me up for something (i.e. new Coach handbag).

28. exshelby

exshelby

Look what I scored!!

Full set of gennie Mickey Thompsons...L-60/G70-15's and a REAL Motion catalog! Got some rare '68 only,442 hood hinges and a couple other old magazines...all of it was dirt cheap. <P> motionx.JPG <P>

mickeys.JPG

29. rld14

rld14

At the last minute I couldn't make it but that's OK.. Racinman Rick delivered my car on Friday.

I'll make it to the Import and All GM shows tho.