Register now to get rid of these ads!

C3 corvette suspension in 1953 AD truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldcarfart, Apr 1, 2011.

1. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

We got a theft-recovery 1987 'vette in and was eyeballing suspension for swap into my as now untouched '53 chevy pickup. I am sure this has been covered before but I was unable to find references. Engine and what is left of interior has fire/water/WTF is it? damage but the idea of the ride potential has me with an itch that needs scratching. I was planning simple muskrat 2 front suspension with standard rear suspension. Please input your pro's and con's as the price is right <grin>
    Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. There is a company that makes a cross member the stock vette suspension stuff bolts too. Ill see if i can dig it up. Looked like a clean setup.

3. duojet

duojet

Well, it's not traditional, but Flat Out Engineering, http://www.flatout-engineering.com/, has kits to put in the front and rear suspension. The width of the rear is about 61.5 inches and the front is 59.5.

The rear is fairly easy to put in, you just need to make some brackets and either a torque arm or crossmember to hold the center section in place. I'd buy the kit for the front.

Check the rear end to see if it is a Dana 36 or a Dana 44. The 36 is smooth on the top while the 44 has some ribbing cast into the case. The 44 is stronger and has better gear ratio availability, if this is an issue.

I've installed two sets of these (not using the Flat-out kit) and they drive great.

Duojet

1956 Nomad

4. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Thanks! It was a automatic so I assumed a Dana 36.

5. Weasel

Weasel

If it's an '87 it's a C4....

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

7. willymakeit

willymakeit

I know these handle a lot better. Since the C/G has changed how close to the vette handling charcteristics are they ?

8. Big Nick

Big Nick

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

My 'Burb has an '85 C4 rear. Rides great, did it myself outside on the slab. Measure 3021 times, cut once!

10. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I had a 53 chevy 5 window with a 79 corvette rear and I can tell you the truck rode great and that was with the less desireable rear setup. There was some kind of binding issue with the one side because I broke 2 half shafts on the one side not sure what the problem was but I really liked the truck and how it drove.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

There's a guy about 3 miles from me that did his '52 about 10 years ago. It's got a warmed 350 (still very streetable) and he did the whole swap without any kits. I've never looked at it real close but he hasn't stopped driving it since the swap. Only talked to him once and he said it has been a ball to drive, especially on the northern Michigan two lane twisties when some Mustang or Camaro tries to pass and they just disappear in his rearview mirror when he lets it stretch it's legs. He left the outside just as it was, a well used construction truck.

Frank