Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimV57, Apr 26, 2011.

1. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I'm debating on which to go with - the stock intake for my Lincoln 430 with a Holley 770 street avenger carb or if I can get my hands on an Edelbrock L300 tri power intake and 3 2bl carbs, but what carbs would go well on the tri power setup? Like 500's? or...

more info on the motor/drive train setup:
    .030 over pistons probably 9.0 cr
    220/230 @ .050", 276/290 advertised, .495"/.498" lift, 112 lobe sep for the cam
    stock rebuilt Fordomatic trans with a TCI TC stall=2400-2600
    stock heads, new valves, springs etc
    8.8 rear end with 3.55 or 3.73 gears, true trac detroit locker diff
    Not sure of the weight of the truck - probably not much more than 2000lbs I would guess

2. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

3. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

wow...no response after 39 views?
    I found holley makes a 350 cfm, but would that be too much carb with 3?

4. carbking

carbking

You are chasing something so unusual that many here have probably never even heard of it, let alone seen one. Of the hundreds of factory tripowers we have had, we have only had one of the factory 430 units, and that was maybe 20 years ago. From memory, it had the smaller Holley 2-barrels with the standard Ford 4 (wide) bolt pattern.

I am not familiar with the edelbrock manifold you mention, so don't know what bolt pattern it will have.

Remember that 2-barrel carbs and 4-barrel carbs are rated on a different scale. A 350 CFM 2-barrel would be a little less than 250 CFM on a 4-barrel scale. Factoring in the "iff" for using three and the effective CFM of the three would probably be in the 550~600 range on a 4-barrel scale.

Jon.

5. wouldn't 250 x 3 = 750? what did I miss? I know you said a little less than 250, so even if it was 230

230 x 3 = 690?

6. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

The smaller carburetors would give a good vacuum signal and run good up to 5000 rpm. For you truck you probably could go bigger but you probably not going to race it so the small Holley trips would be my choice. It would be a real head turner to have that Lincoln big block with a tri-power set up. Very very cool. Good luck. With a little tuning and jetting it should run just fine

7. carbking

carbking

Three multiplied by 250 should indeed be 750 (or my old math teacher would be quite unhappy!).

However, (3) 250 CFM carburetors on a single manifold for a V-8 does NOT equal 750 CFM. Factoring in the "iff" (international fudge factor) for 3 carbs on a V-8 of about 75~80 percent effectiveness gives the lower EFFECTIVE figure.

And yes, the setup should be a read head-spinner.

Jon.

8. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I know the manifolds are hard to come by, but one of the guys here has one. I'm waiting to hear back and get some pics and see what kind of shape its in. I was doing a bit of research last night about it. It seems there is a term that I'm not yet familiar with "progressive linkage". I think I saw it here, but I can't find the thread again.

So, carbking, by what you are saying as far as calcs go, the 3 500cfm probably wouldn't be all that too large then? I'm assuming it will run on the primaries of the one carb and the rest of it kicks in during secondary usage. Is that a fair assumption?

9. carbking

carbking

Progressive linkage, when applied to tripower, normally would mean that the center carb is the primary carb (works all of the time) and the end carbs are set to open at some given point, normally somewhere around 50~60 percent of wide open throttle on the center carb. Most progressive linkages have the 2 end carbs work together. Ford in the early 1960's was an exception, as the linkage was set up to allow one end carb to begin opening slightly before the other. Ford explained this gave a smoother transistion from center only to WOT.

Before determining which carburetors to acquire, I would suggest you wait until you acquire the manifold. From what I remember, the larger carbs' throttle blades would not open with the smaller holes in the manifold.

Buying carburetors often is like the 16 year old hillbilly (I'm from Missouri, so I can tell hillbilly jokes) that got his first set of shoes. When asked what size he got, he replied "Well, the salesman told me that the correct size was 9. But 10's felt so good, I bought 11's"! :p;):D

Jon.

10. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

Jon,
    I agree. I will wait till I have the thing in my hot lil hands before getting into buying carbs. From what I have seen on the net, they will fit holley, ford, rochester and maybe one other...can't remember all of them offhand. I have seen pics of them with 500 holleys, but again, I will wait till I have it.

I'm getting excited about this part of the build. I think it would make for a unique look to the motor as well as have plenty of power when I get a heavy foot ;)

So providing that the holley 500cfm has the right size throttle blades, would it make sense to have 3 500's since its basically running on 500cfm most of the time? Or would that even be enough...considering I was going to run a 770cfm on the stock manifold.

...thinking out loud for a sec...
    running a 770 cfm, I would only be running on the primaries too, most of the time, so how would that compare to running the 2bl 500 on the tri setup?

Thank you all of your input. I know carbs a touch, but this is new territory for me.

11. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

ok...more research...
    I found out that the Edelbrock L300 will take a Rochester 2G. The thing is, I can't find specs on the 2G throttle flange size. Here is pics of the intake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did find out that it will take large body carbs, but again, I can't find out what "large" means as far as dimensions

From what I have discovered so far, the intake could be redrilled to accomodate a 4 bolt pattern

12. carbking

carbking

The pictures indicate that this manifold was originally set up for either the Stromberg EE-1 or the Holley AA-1 carburetors.

Generally, with this pattern, the single hole can be filled, and two other holes drilled and tapped to accomodate the SMALL throttle body Rochesters, NOT the large ones.

These were rated 278 CFM on the 2 barrel scale which translates to 197 on the 4 barrel scale. Three times 197 is 591, and derating for using three on the manifold, you would have approximately 475~500 effective CFM for the unit.

"Cool" maybe, performance probably not.

Looking at factory tripowers using 3 small Rochesters:

1958 Cadillac 365
    1958-61 Chevrolet 348
    1957-58 Oldsmobile 371
    1957 Pontiac 347
    1958 Pontiac 370

The 1959 Cadillac 390 used a small center and 2 large ends.
    The 1959 Pontiac 389 used a small center and 2 large ends.

If you really wish to go ahead with this project, I would suggest finding 3 MATCHED non-tripower carbs from as large an engine as you can find using the small Rochesters; then running solid linkage, not progressive.

Jon.

13. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

crap! I was hoping for better results performance wise. Guess it will be the stock manifold and the 770

Thanks again Jon, you helped a lot!

14. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

OK, I think I might see if I can get the manifold ported so I can use it. I will need to know exact dimensions for the Holley 500's. I was wondering if you have those dimensions Jon, or if I could get them someplace else if you don't.

15. aojo

aojo

Jon, in reading some other posts re tri powers, they mention that the carbs on these systems were often specific to tri powers and had special components such as thicker butterflies etc.. and that it is often difficult to make "stock" 2 barrel carbs perform as a tri power set up.. since this is your business what is your experience with this?

16. carbking

carbking

How do you plan to bolt the MUCH LARGER Holleys to the manifold?

Then how do you plan to open up the manifold plenums to flow the air? You could fabricate adapters to put three Preditors on it, but the inside plenums still wouldn't permit much more than the carbs for which it was designed.

You can still use it.

Virtually all tripowers are installed todayfor looks rather than performance anyway.

You basically would just limit the RPM of the engine.

Jon.

17. carbking

carbking

This article from our website may answer your question:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Aftermarkettripowersetups.htm

Jon.

18. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

You make some valid points here Jon. There is a lot to think about and I will definately take your words of wisdom to heart. Thanks again.

19. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

20. carbking

carbking

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Three_flange_gaskets.jpg

The rather lengthy text that went with the link was just lost when the forum timed me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not retyping it.

573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Wed central time).

Jon.

21. Soreback

Soreback

I like the joke! And interesting info.

22. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I got the info from the site, Jon and thank you!

23. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

how would you configure a dual quad setup? do you need two carbs with or without chokes? one with one without?