Register now to get rid of these ads!

Apparently people used to be skinnier...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aceuh, Apr 30, 2011.

1. I am under the average, can I come for a ride?

2. Dennis D

Dennis D

I was Dad's remote. "Change the channel boy, the Friday night fights is on" and after that "change the channel boy, I want to watch Amos n Andy. And while you're up, get me another Stag beer" Lots of exercise!:D
    Dennis D

3. 61bone

61bone

Just a thought. When I was in my twenties, I changed the 6 in a chevy van without the aid of a hoist. I could also get a 55 gallon barrel of oil in the back of a pickup by myself.
    I have fake knees, will have fake hips and shoulders. Think about it.

4. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Funny, but sooo true....

5. James Curl

James Curl

If you look at any of the early pictures from the dry lakes or Bonneville they were a lot skinner. I am 5'11" and 175 now but when I went into the army in 1958 I was 149 lbs and came out at the same weight. I was not considered skinny at the time, most of the people in the army with me were between 120 and 185 lbs depending on height. Look in any of the old magazines from the thirties through the forties, the men were all thin. I raced Go Karts in the sixties and early seventies and they had a special "A Heavy class" for people over 160 lbs. so they could run a single engine class Go Kart and be competitive. Times have changed, now 190 seems to be the average weight for anyone over 5' 10" tall.

6. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

everybody smoked back then

7. cakes

cakes

mmmmmm gas station burritos, JK I get mine from the roach coach, haha

as a big guy with big parents and big grandparents (RIP), getting in some old cars sucks. Some how at some point in time an extra vertebra came into my family and stuck. I have short legs for my height, its my only savings grace sometimes.

8. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

My family still pretty much lives like this except we have 6 channels! I have held off buying playstations and xbox's and instead built them a sand pit, playhouse and trampoline. I think my kids take it for granted abit but when their friends come to play their parents always comment on how their kids love comming to play at our house. Sorry for heading off topic.
    Andy.

9. Deuces

Deuces

I did weight 276 pounds 8 years ago... I also had some serious head problems.. :eek: Docs said it was a pituatary gland tumor.. So it had to come out!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Back in 69-70 when I was stationed in Germany, we would take trips to visit the old castles. I'm 5'7" and I had to duck under all the door sills, which seemed like they were 5ft. There was no way I'd even fit in the armor suits. The big bad Black Knight was probably about 5 ft tall in the 1400s! I don't fit well in a stock 34 Ford pickup, either. Gary

11. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

We havn't had TV since 1996, we watch dvds a couple times a week. We raise and grow about 60% of our food. My son and I are both 6 foot, he moved out at 18 and is now 24. I weigh 185 and he is at 390. He watches more TV in a day then I watch movies in a month. He sits on his arse all day and just about everything he eats comes out of a package or box. He's in bad shape as are most of his friends. I can out lift, out pace and out work him. It's very sad.

12. TomWar

TomWar

That's so sad, BUT true All over our country!

13. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I guess I would have fitted right in in the fifties. Hammering all day probably helps keep me trim. I think people are generally a bit smaller here in the UK.

David

14. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Fuckin love it!! Hahaha.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 12 years ago, I built the car I had always wanted since high school. A '36 Ford 3 window with a 276' inch Merc with all the goodies, a '39 floor box with later gears, hydraulic brakes, and 4.11 gears. I sold it 5 years later because it was so small inside it was uncomfortable to drive and ride in. I'm 6 feet and 225. A friend has a '36 dodge pickup; I have ridden with him a couple of times, and I have a hard time getting in and out. It's very cramped inside. Every time I ride with him, I think about how much smaller people had to have been 75 years ago.:rolleyes:

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've gained 5 pounds since 1968, height is still the same.

17. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

are you freakin kiddin me? I haven't seen 200lbs since 1986 when i left high school. I can't get under 240 to freakin beat the band.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I weighed 150 lbs in 6th grade.

19. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Cholesterol is my drug of choice.

20. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I am not fat, however I do have an extraodinarily thick
    epidemal covering, and can easily survive the next depression,
    if we have one. :D

21. slammed

slammed

Damned straight. Look around a big public event, mall, ect. The trim ones are RARE. Snacky-snacks are everywhere! Brightly colored packages. Posion. Ever see a FAT FUCK Amish? 1 pound of fat equals 1 days regular calorie intake. Do the math. Bring back real P.E.

22. I was looking at some other car and truck ads that I have. There is one for a '58 Cadillac that has six adults that appear to have considerable room each. Another is of a '48 Dodge coupe with two adults up front and three kids in the back, again, lots of room.

One of the reasons I sold my '37 Terraplane Brougham a year ago was the terrible design of the way the front seat moved to allow passengers in the back seat. You have to be 125 pounds and skinny as a rail to access the back seat. Once there, it's big enough to party in! It truly was designed to be used by kids or very thin adults. A friend who is 5'11" and 165 pounds (not very big!) had difficulty with ingress and egress. Some ways of getting in and out were simply poor design to start with.

23. cakes

cakes

on another note, I applied to colonial Williamsburg when I got out of school years ago and they ask for your height and weight. According to them the only thing someone of my stature could have done historically was be a blacksmith. I didnt want to hammer iron all day so I said thanks but no thanks. So big people did exist way back when, it was just a rare occurrence

24. Ruiner

Ruiner

I have always been big, at 6'2" and 250 pounds as a freshman lineman in high school, our average weight on offensive/defensive lines was 220 pounds...I'm currently 6'3" and about 360 pounds, but during the summer I get down to about 325 or 330...I haven't been under 300 in about a decade, and I have tried everything...I can 'give up' and do whatever I want and stay between 330 and 360, or bust my ass and watch every calorie and eat 1100 calories or less per day and get down to 320 and never less...I have yet to discover a reason why...

I can still out-lift most "average" guys though...

25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The military finds that our young men are not eligible for service at a rate over 50%
    of the applicants. Many have criminal records, cannot pass a minimal skills/ IQ test
    and many are in such poor shape they will not take them, and of those they take
    about 1/3 have to go thru a special weight loss boot camp. This country is in trouble.

26. sbin

sbin

Used to eat 5-6 times a day trying to get from 170 to 180. Now I would have to eat 5-6 times a week to go from 190 to 170.Of course 48 is a lot different than 18. Unfortunately the fairer sex has the same problem.

27. Jagman

Jagman

20 years ago I bought one of my "dream" cars, a slighty OT (for this board) Jag, I spent 4 years rebuilding it and drove it for about 5K, then moved to a part of the country where this car isn't particularly well suited and it sat in the garage for over 10 years. I've spent the last few weeks getting it roadworthy again but now I can barely get in or out of it, and my feet can't seem to work the pedals without hitting 2 at once! Part of the problem is that at 5'10" and 200lbs I'm now 30 lbs heavier than I was even 10 years ago ......

The bride and I went out for a pizza Friday night and were just appalled at how hugely overweight the majority of the patrons were, and we're not skinny like we used to be - but compared to them, we looked like war refugees!

Now that we're in our 60's it's mostly due to a more sedentary lifestyle, I'm convinced.....just remember folks, there are virtually no 300lb 80 year old people, or 70, or 60 - think about it

But what really tears at our hearts is to see the very young children so fat - how are they going to have a chance at a good life when they start out so far behind the 8-ball? The won't be able to play sports or do any number of things they should, they will probably always be heavy....they'll have health problems too. And when the girls get pregnant, they'll never lose that weight and look good again. It's just sad and I don't know how this country will ever turn this around again.

28. Gotta have my double/double.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  29. Gigantor

Gigantor

Some of us are a product of our generation ... and genetics... and hormones in the food supply and god knows what else.

I'm 6'10" and 300+ pounds. No one else in my family is even close to that. My weight I can control for the most part, but not my size. People are getting taller too, not just fatter. It's kind of ironic since everything (cars, houses, amenities, seats in airplanes and theaters, etc.) are getting smaller and smaller.

I've been tempted to just put the seat and steering wheel in the middle of my Model A so it will be like my own big go kart.

I always tell people I lived under power lines when they ask... and they do.

30. When I was 16 I was 5'11" and weighed 150#, now at 64 I'm 5'11" and weigh 260#, can't seem to lose weight and keep it off. Friends tell me when they see me coming in my 27T roadster that it looks like I'm sitting on it, not in it.