Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road Trip! D/FW - VLV via Route 66!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toptinman, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Toptinman

Toptinman

Where we encounted a mile long tunnel. Headlights on!

[​IMG]

In this case, the light at the end of the tunnel wasn't a train after all!

[​IMG]

The cruise through the park included this waterfall of sorts.

[​IMG]

The Zion National park was truly amazing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you've been following this thread, you're probably pretty tired of seeing the wagon by now! Ok, no wagon shots for a while. Check out the cool layers of sandstone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is me, contemplating my next H.A.M.B. update!

[​IMG]

See the speck on the next hill over? That's someone who climbed up there.

[​IMG]

Thought I sneak in another wagon shot after all!

[​IMG]

There's a place where you can actually go down to the water . . . . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . where I was hoping to snap off a shot of Stevan slipping and falling in!

[​IMG]

2. Toptinman

Toptinman

Stevan did good by choosing this route!

[​IMG]

My voyeurism kicked in!

[​IMG]

More Zion beauty.

[​IMG]

Pictures of the Checkerboard Mesa with a light covering of snow really did make the rock look like a checkerboard what with the vertical and horizonal lines carved by the wind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then it was time to leave the Zion park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Blown 61

Blown 61

This is one of the coolest threads ever!

4. Toptinman

Toptinman

After leaving the park, we came across this cool sign in one of those little one horse towns.

[​IMG]

"Ho Made Pies"? How appetizing!

[​IMG]

In our quest for old theaters, we discoved two in Kanab, UT. One wasn't all that photogentic but we decided that this one was. Notice that it even offered lawn furniture out in front!

[​IMG]

From a distance, this rock east of Kanab resembled a huge storage tank.

[​IMG]

More scenery east of Kanab, UT.

[​IMG]

Damn! There's that wagon again!

[​IMG]

A vantage point overlooking Lake Powell . . . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . offered another reason to snap another pic of the wagon!

[​IMG]

Lake Powell, UT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm obligated to post a picture of Stevan during every update! The jacket was needed. It was damn cold!

[​IMG]

More Lake Powell views!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

People have climbed down and spelled out messages with rocks below the overlook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. Ramblur

Ramblur

Thanks for the ride! My plan was similar till I hurt a piston in GA and ended up
    leaving my Hudson in TN. Still made it to Viva and still had a blast but your thread fills in a lot of what I had in mind for my trip that didn't happen.(Not that I would have been able do near as good a job sharing it though) Thanks
    again.

6. Toptinman

Toptinman

A drive over the Glen Canyon bridge . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . . . offered this cool view of the Glen Canyon Dam.

[​IMG]

A view of the sheer cliffs of Glen Canyon.

[​IMG]

From atop the bridge, you could see lines of kayaks moored together down below.

[​IMG]

Further up the highway, over another crest, the Grand Canyon could be seen in the distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warning!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Wagon shots approaching!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, with the daylight fastly dying . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . . we continued back on the highway . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . . . until we were once again back in Flagstaff, AZ. on Route 66, where we found the lights of the famous Museum Club like a beacon in the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But we passed up the lure of the Museum Club and opted rather for the comfort of a warm clean bed under the neon sign of the Western Hills Motel where a nice Polish lady first offered to show us our room before taking our money.

[​IMG]

Thus ended day eight of our ten day journey.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  7. bykerlad

bykerlad
    from australia

Funny thing is ,you guys took the trip,but we will remember it forever, thanks to you guys

8. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

This is the best thread ever! It represents the ultimate road trip that I intend to do before I die.....great work!

9. Anderson

Anderson

man....coolest roadtrip ever taken and documented. I'm jealous!

10. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

The "How to Viva" thread!

If you published these pictures and commentary in a "Coffee Table Book" I would buy it in a second.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your trip!

11. triumphtony

triumphtony

Thanks for taking time to do this. I enjoyed it very much.

12. Toptinman

Toptinman

Tucumcari Tonight! That was the unofficial motto for today's trip. While we didn't know what all today might bring, our plans were to try to get as far as Tucumcari, N.M. and spend a night in the historic Blue Swallow Motel.

The beginning of day nine of our journey began with asking the cashier where we got gas where the best place for breakfast might be. His suggestion was Mike & Ronda's The Place. So we headed there to check them out. You can't say that Mike & Ronda's is a historic Route 66 eating establishment as they're in a modern shopping center but it's still "The Place" to grab a great breakfast.
    Even though we had two days to get homne, we still weren't ready to say goodbye to Route 66 and hightail it back home on the interstate. While looking at my Route 66 app, I saw that there were two different alignments of the Mother Road leaving Flagstaff; the pre-1947 alignment and the post-1947 alignment. We chose the post-1947 alignment first which resulted in a great view of the San Francisco Peak.

[​IMG]

This alignment was a little rough but still worth the effort to travel. We were reliving history, folks!

[​IMG]

After following the post-1947 alignment until it came to I-40, we decided to take the time to go back and get on the pre-1947 alignment of Route 66. This alignment allowed us a different angle of the view of the San Francisco Peak.

[​IMG]

Before long, we came to this old bridge that once carried traffic on the Route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was used in a scene from Forrest Gump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A detail shot of the bridge.

[​IMG]

Signs that this bridge has seen it's share of accidents. Keep in mind, if an oversized load got stuck on the bridge, it shut down traffic completely. There weren't any service roads to reroute traffic onto.

[​IMG]

Every overhead truss showed damage!

[​IMG]

Getting the perfect shot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After getting back on I-40, we were passed by a couple of rods from Viva that were hauling ass! I tried to catch 'em for a better shot but finally gave up.

[​IMG]

We decided to make another visit to Winslow, AZ. on our return trip. We had time.

[​IMG]

On this visit, we took the time to check out the old depot next to the La Posada Hotel.

[​IMG]

This is what train passengers disembarking from the train experienced during the heyday of train travel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the elaborate grillwork covering the heating radiators in the old depot.

[​IMG]

It was tempting just to sit in the gardens located between the La Posada and the train tracks and watch the trains go by.

[​IMG]

The main entrance to the La Posada. (You have to look past the wagon to see it!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  13. woodbox

woodbox

Awesome shots......keep em'coming!

14. Toptinman

Toptinman

Now, before you true Route 66 roadies start complaining that I haven't been really experiencing the route by not traveling every alighnment, you have to realize that the wagon isn't like a late model. Some alignments are pretty rough to attempt in it. Other alignments are cool to travel, but there's not really anything to see on them. I opted to try and get the most bang for our buck with the time that we had and the car that we were in. Also, at several points, the Route plays out and you have to get back on the freeway, which is what we did when we decided to visit Holbrook, AZ. again on the return trip. We got off I-40 at the first exit into Holbrook and the first thing that we saw were these cool and unusual VWs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WE liked the looks of this old gas station/garage.

[​IMG]

Many a kid (and parents also) saw this view when traveling the Route through Holbrook.

[​IMG]

We mainly stopped at this garage because John and the Acme Speed Shop crew stopped here on their way to the Lone Star Round Up. Can't let them outdo us!

[​IMG]

Before leaving town, we saw this old Dairy Queen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Toptinman

Toptinman

A few miles east of Holbrook, AZ., next to a rock shop, we discovered this old wooden bridge that once carried Route 66 traffic across a wash. Actually, just a little further west, we'd seen another old wooden bridge but this was was easy to reach. It's pretty amazing to think of the history that once traveled across this bridge!

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, this is what kept me from driving across it.

[​IMG]

I looked around underneath it, hoping to find some vintage graffitti. Didn't find anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I loved the wave pattern of the dried mud underneath the bridge. Reminded me of pudding.

[​IMG]

Detail of one of the old bolt heads.

[​IMG]

Trying for an artsy shot!

[​IMG]

And, of course, the wagon!

[​IMG]

The rock shop next to the bridge had the usual array of "lures" to get people to stop in and spend their money.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Toptinman

Toptinman

Our next stop was near the Arizona/New Mexico state line when we exitied for Lupton. Right at the exit we came upon this old gas station.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An old credit card machine lay in waiting. I'd like to call this shot "Declined"!

[​IMG]

It was sad to see old basketball trophies lying there. Someone's pride in accomplishments now broken and gathering dust.

[​IMG]

Next to the old station sat this old trading post. It reminded me of the one at Meteor City that we had seen while heading to Vegas.

[​IMG]

I think someone was living in this old broken down bus on the property. Someone came out of nowhere to give the wagon the onceover. I think he came out of the bus.

[​IMG]

17. Rusty

Rusty

man the coverage is great!!!!

18. Toptinman

Toptinman

Not much daylight was left in the day when we reached Ranta Rosa, N.M. While making a pass through downtown, we spotted their old theater.

[​IMG]

Even though we were both getting pretty hungry, we didn't want to loose our daylight when we sought out the Blue Hole. On a pre-1937 alignment into Santa Rosa, the Blue Hole offered everyone a place to cool off from a long day of driving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After eating a fabulous meal at Joseph's in Santa Rosa, we grabed a shot of the wagon while parked under the glowing neon of the Sun & Sand Motel.

[​IMG]

We had called Bill, the owner of the Blue Swallow Motel from the restaurant to tell him to leave the lights on for us, that we were heading his way. Thankfully, he did!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the glass block fountain offered us it's neon!

[​IMG]

Before tucking in for the night at the motel, we took in what neon was left burning up and down Route 66 in Tucumcari. Most businesses turned theirs off at 10 p.m. I know that we missed the Buckaroo motel neon because of that. Unfortunately, a lot of the old neon on Route 66 has been dimmed for good. First we used this Route 66 mural as a backdrop for a photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to head back to the motel to rest up for our final day.

[​IMG]

This was the view from our motel door, shot courtesy of Stevan.

[​IMG]

19. 53mercury

53mercury

Thanks for the ride. Makes the 8" of fresh snow outside easier to take. Supposed to take the T-Bird down to a show in Gateway CO on the 7th if I can make it the two miles out to the highway. Gotta love mud season. Great thread. Thanks, Mike

20. bt34

bt34

An awesome read....jez keep on driving/writing for another month....

21. crowen57

crowen57

I just picked up on your road trip. WOW! We plan to do the "Mother Road" in a year or two, thanks for the sneak preview.

22. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Just read the WHOLE thread! Count my vote for the best road trip thread on the HAMB yet! Absolutely awesome! Please post your Viva pics here or at least a link to it please! Can't wait to see the pics!

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thanks for the virtual ride along. It's a rainey Sunday morning in Indy and this has made the day MUCH better.

24. Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip with us. Pic's were great.

25. Toptinman

Toptinman

Before I get started on today's update, I wanted to share with you the thread with Saturday's car show pictures that I created. I've posted Friday's pictures and will post Saturday's pictures after updating this thread. Here's the link:

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585683

It's Tuesday morning, the last day of our trip. Have to be home sometime today or tonight. Stevan has plans for Wednesday. So, today is it. We wake up and get ready for the final day. Today is no different than any other day of our trip. Hightailing it home is not on the agenda. We have a full day ahead of us. Things to do. People to see. We grab our things and load them into the car. This room gave us our best night's sleep.

[​IMG]

This room is retro all the way. Even the bathroom have a medicine cabinet.

[​IMG]

Under the carpet, hardwood floors as evidenced in the closet.

[​IMG]

Closet? A motel with a real closet? That's how old this motel is. Originally built in '39. Things were different then. It was supposed to make you feel right at home.

[​IMG]

The Blue Swallow Motel was a trip back in time.

[​IMG]

Enough said.

[​IMG]

Bill, the owner, had murals painted inside the garages. Built for cars of it's day, the wagon was too wide to fit the garage.

[​IMG]

Hey, this is Route 66! Why not carry the theme?

[​IMG]

We leave our room to go tell Bill goodbye and to thank him for his hospitality. That's when I saw this old cigarette machine against the wall.

[​IMG]

Maybe these old cameras have snapped a pic of the Mother Road in their day.

[​IMG]

Other HAMBers have left a token with Bill during their stay here.

[​IMG]

Before leaving Tucumcari, we had to jump across the street from the motel and check in on Mike over at the Teepee Curios.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When in Tucumcari, Mike is the man to see to buy your Route 66 trinkets from.

[​IMG]

Mike dug the wagon!

[​IMG]

Before leaving the motel, we asked where a good breakfast could be found. Bill suggested waiting until we got to Adrian, TX. where Fran at the Mid-Point Cafe could whip something up for us. Said to ask for Bill's Breakfast Special.

[​IMG]

This is the Bill's Breakfast Special.

[​IMG]

The inside of the Mid-Point Cafe is nice and homey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The menu warns customers to watch for this pole when backing out. Said many have tried to move it with their bumpers through the years but none have been able to budge it!

[​IMG]

We didn't try.

26. Toptinman

Toptinman

As we were leaving Adrian, we saw this old station. Thought we'd investigate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One wall of it had caved in.

[​IMG]

A loney oil filter stares out the window.

[​IMG]

Nothing but debris fills the station now.

[​IMG]

One last look of the place before we leave.

[​IMG]

Tuesday morning traffic on Route 66 in Adrian, TX. That's the Bent Door Cafe & Station seen on the left.

[​IMG]

27. Toptinman

Toptinman

When we made a return trip pass through Vega, TX. we saw activity at the old Roadrunner Drive In. Thinking that they were in the process of tearing it down, we thought we'd better snap a few pictures before it's gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ends up that they weren't tearing it down but rather were in the process of restoring it. First just the facade with the inside due at a later date. It seems that some old bachelor lived in it until about twenty years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe someday soon, you'll be able to grab a burger and shake at the Roadrunner Drive In again! That's the plans!

[​IMG]

While many a traveler in the Mother Road's day spent a night in the Vega Motel, it sits empty now having closed for good just a couple years ago. Another victim of the changing of times.

[​IMG]

28. Toptinman

Toptinman

Our next stop, before entering Amarillo, was a visit at the famous Cadillac Ranch. Created by the Ant Farm and funded by Stanley Marsh 3, these cars have brought more attention to Amarillo than anything else, I'd imagine.

[​IMG]

Don't know who the fellow is but he was just sitting up there like he belonged there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of them is just about all gone now due to souvenir hunters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There has been so much paint sprayed on this wheel, it looks like melted wax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naturally, I had to leave my mark!

[​IMG]

As well as Stevan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The artist and his work!

[​IMG]

More shots of the Cadillac Ranch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There has been so much paint sprayed on the Cadillacs through the years, people have actually carved their names in it. Check out the chisled square in this panel. Now that's thick paint!

[​IMG]

You can see how thick the paint is on this trunklid. Looks like flaking bondo!

[​IMG]

We bid farewell to the Cadillac Ranch.

[​IMG]

29. Toptinman

Toptinman

In Groom, TX. we saw this giant cross!

[​IMG]

And, just a little further, we spotted the leaning water tower. No, the ground didn't begin to sink under it's weight, it was built that way!

[​IMG]

Another sign of dispair on the Mother Road. Notice the minature leaning tower on the very top.

[​IMG]

The folks of Alanreed restored this old gas station. Was really a cool building!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot inside the station.

[​IMG]

A block further east sat the remains of this old station & cafe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was this old hoist always there? Odd place to put one, over the entrance.

[​IMG]

30. Toptinman

Toptinman

Entering McLean, TX. from the west, one of the first things you see is this old Texaco sign.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, McLean's old Avalon Theater sits closed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The town does have a cool old Rexall Drug store sign.

[​IMG]

The old stoves still sit in an old store front frozen in time.

[​IMG]

A Route 66 icon in itself, this old 1929 cottage style Phillips 66 station has been restored. It's the first station leased from Phillips 66 in Texas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just west of the Phillips 66 station sat the old Guyton Motor Co..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2011