Register now to get rid of these ads!

The New Little Pages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2011.

1. williebill

williebill

Just curious,how many of the Little Pages will have to sell for it to be considered a success?

2. RichG

RichG

As soon as I get to town there will be another issue sold.

...and Ryan, I have money sitting here for my subscription to the TJJ (damn man, that would be something cool!)

3. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I was with Tim Sutton & AJ for the photo shoot of the Craigslist A-bone discovery. Here's a couple behind the scenes pics...

Attached Files:

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

drama :(

Reminds me, man I seriously need to get my ass working on my truck again soon. Maybe tomorrow! :)

5. The least we can do if we really love cars and this hobby is stop shitting all over each other. The bell has rung. Junior high school is over. Aaron, Rob, Ryan, JimA, Zombie, Coby, etc. Bless ya'll. Every stinkin' one of you. Don't always agree with you fellas. Don't always love your editorials and content. But I for one am damn glad you're out there. Maybe we should stop throwing mud on each other and start worrying about the bigger threats to our hobby: politicians, legislation and so-called "green initiatives" that are going to hi-jack our hobby while we squabble over chicken shit.

6. RUDOG

RUDOG

Little pages is great!!!! bought 2 of them yesterday & have not put it down. The paper, the size, the article on the history of the Hallock windshield, a few HAMBers & more!!! Great Job on Little Pages Aaron, Tim, Rob & the rest of the R & C magazine crew.....I sure hope you make more...

7. RF, whilst it will be a while for this new mag to reach the rest of us outside of America, I thank you for your passion, and trust that you, and all involved, every success with the fresh venture.

I do have a question though, and not intended to be a cash for comment moment, but should we (as consumers) want to see your venture success, are we better to buy a copy from the local vendor, subscribe, lap dance for your advertisers, all of the above, or any other method reccommended.

I think it was you ages ago who mentioned to not to bother subscribing, as the defining bottom line for a mags future was vendor sales, am I correct on both parts or utterly wrong? (Note: if I am wrong I appoligise for my interpretation)

Cheers,

Drewfus

8. catdad49

catdad49

Ryan, thanks for the info about the new "Little Pages." I still have a few of the originals (much to my wife's chagrin) and I'll probably do a little comparing of the two. Would this be fair? We'll see! Please keep doing what you're doing, all the people that participate in the JJ/HAMB can't be the misguided ones, Cat

9. 2002p51

2002p51

I can see the reason that print mags no longer do as much event coverage as they used to. Ryan alluded to it and RF sorta confirmed it. There are more eyeballs seeing coverage here on the HAMB and that coverage is immediate. Hell, we start seeing photos on here before the event is even over. By the time the print mags are out, it's no longer timely. Everybody who cares has seen it. You can't sell magazines that contain stale material.

Enough of that.

I picked up a copy of the "new" little pages yesterday and will be taking it to a local car show today to fill my down time.

It looks great, I can see the passion in it, and can't wait to read it. Why, even a couple of the advertisers are Alliance Vendors from right here on the good ol' HAMB! :D The cover says "Annual 2011" so if you guys want to see this more often than once a year, go buy it!

Kudos to Fortier and Kahan, you guys hit a home run.

10. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I picked up a copy last night at the local supermarket. (I almost overlooked it because, due to it's small size, it was not displayed with the other car mags.)
    This is a good first effort, with great potential... but IMO this first issue fell just a little short of the,now defunct, HopUp Specials, which I really loved.
    Anyway,it's worth buying, and deserves our support.

I must add that, seeing the prices of magazines these days, it makes me appreciate what a great deal our HAMB membership is.

11. I'm going to have to see for myself how a bright, shiny ad looks sitting on aged page, I hope they get on board and design their ads specifically for this magazine. Then you are truly producing art, a keepsake.

Think back to when, for one reason or another, the HAMB was down... Remember the anxiety? Not only of loosing connection to all your friends, your link to what is going on, but it's like your entire magazine "collection" gone, along with your address book and all your phone numbers and emails. What if it just wasn't.*

"Should I take the extra 10 seconds per picture and download it for reference, or be lazy... I'll just search for it the next time I need it for reference, next post!!"

Not that I think that Ryan would just pull the plug, but the web is fleeting, servers go down, hard drives crash, magazines are something you can put your hands on, like a photo album or scrapbook. You want a nice scrapbook... one that'll last, RJ get's that, hopefully this one does too, and the rest of them will catch up and realize that we don't use these magazines to line bird cages when we are through reading them.

*I just browned my shorts thinking about that.

12. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Looking forward to this

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

Seems as though this is getting good reviews from those that have now seen it. Congratulations. :)

Although from the post above, it sounds like fauxtina has now made that giant leap from vehicles (and I use that term loosely) to reading material...:cool:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  14. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

It's sweet, looked at a copy at the store yesterday...... forgot my wallet and couldn't buy it. Duh- not one of my brighter moments. I didn't read through all this- can you subscribe just to the little pages and how often will they be printed? Every month? Please, please.

15. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Ryan, thanks for letting us know about this. For those of us that live in rural areas it's hard at best to even get a copy of R&C at times. The local IGA just doesn't have a great selection of magazines unless you're into 4 Wheel Fun or the likes....

This thread has brought out some of the best. I'm glad to see that Aaron has signed on and hope to hear more from him in the future. It's good to see Jim, Jason, Zombie and some of the others chime in that have experience in print media. I value their opinions greatly.

Now I have to figure out where I can get a copy....

16. The art and design enhances instead of looking like fake aging. You will be surprised when you get one in your hands.

17. I LOVE it! HUGE HopUp feel to it...

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow, Wife Joey made a 7 mile trip this morning to Barnes & Noble for it, she found 6 copies (Merced, CA) in the 'Transportation Section'...right in front of the regular Rod & Custom.
    Yeah, Chris...It DOES feel like HopUp!

19. Picked mine up at the local Food Lion today.
    Thanks to ever body involved, it's a great little mag.
    The ads seem to work and of course there's only eight of them in there.
    my favorite part is the vintage feel to it!

20. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

What a top-notch job all around. Great photography design and production, cool content ... takes a little of the pain away from the void left by Hop Up's hiatus. Very evident that it was a work of passion by people who know what they are doing. I didn't even look at the price -- when I got home and noticed what it cost it seemed like even more of a bargain --- that is a LOT of work from them and will provide a lot of enjoyment by me for $5.99. CHEAP.

Keep 'em coming!

21. Does anyone know where I can get an issue in CA????

Went to B&N last night and bought a couple of issues. Its cool, but I like R&P little books better....JMO. I will still buy em' though.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  22. ironrodder

ironrodder

I thought this " Little Pages" RC was an annual? Doesn't that mean once a year?...On the subject of car mags, I like women of all shapes and sizes but if I see one on the cover of a car mag I don't buy it. She's in the way of my see'n the car

23. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Bought one today! Outstanding...
    I'll go back and buy another copy. It's a little artsie but I'm kind of a Fancy boy anyway.

24. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I'm hoping the Hot Rod Company will offer it, I can't afford to drive to every Food Lion in the county to look for it!!!!

25. RF

RF

Yeah, Little Pages is like a Magnolia tree--flowers once a year. Depending on how many flowers blossom its first season, it may or may not become perennial. But one thing that will remain a constant (to the best of my knowledge) is it being a newsstand-only publication.

Thanks for all the compliments--it was fun reading them sandwiched in between all the excerpts from soap opera scripts.

26. zombie

zombie

i havent seen it yet, but i have noticed rod & custom becoming more "traditional" over the last couple of years, and then hotrod deluxe, which is "traditional", now we have the r&c little book. i love hotrod deluxe. the vintage drag photos keep me coming back every time. are all 3 publications going to be covering the same type of stuff?

27. I miss Hop Up, a lot, so I'm looking forward to checking this out. Thanks to the people at R&C for making this happen. Traditional Rod and Kulture, TRJ and Hot Rod Deluxe are also regular buys for me, as well as the big pages of R&C. I like all of them, as they all contribute something to the "Passion for Hot Rods".:D After all, to quote Jeff Norwell, "I like Hot Rods".

28. Hot_Rod_Johnny

Hot_Rod_Johnny
    from Sweden

I'll check this one out - I miss Hop Up too. Even if it costs maybe $15 to mail it over the pond to Sweden I am sure it's worth it. I need to take a dump with a new mag, the laptop is too heavy .... :eek:

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just picked up my copy.. Absolutely fantastic.

For me, being relatively young (23) I have never seen the "little pages" in front of me, let alone hold one, so buying this was a real treat for me. It gives me a lot of insight as to what their format was back then and the quality of the content in this edition is top notch. I'm a rookie on the HAMB and don't know whose car on here is whose but I did recognize 3 HAMBers and the rest of them look like HAMBer rides as well. I recognized right away Mr. Model T, the Calori clone (Hellmet), and the Alden Calkins Roadster (can't remember his HAMB handle) and if I left anyone out, I apologize.

But this is the single greatest (aside from TRJ) piece of modern literature I have picked up and the best part is I counted only 5 and a half pages of advertisements in this. Including the back cover.

In other words, if you haven't bought one, buy one.

iPhone - TJJ App

30. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found mine at the grocery store about 2 hours ago.........................sum the whole thing up in 2 words

LOVE IT !!!!

Congrats to Rob and the guys for a sweet little treat.