Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your favorite battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Apr 29, 2011.

1. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I have 2 autozone btrys over 10 yrs old and working good

2. The Honorable Judge is still here. I had the 38 out a couple weeks ago and took that picture. It looked pretty good so I posted it. The Vette was on for too long

3. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

My ex wife told me it's the one in her vibrator. Hey, I just report the news, I don't make this shit up. :D

4. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Used to wholesale batteries years ago along with tires. Asked the factory rep what the difference was between a 48 month and 60 month. He said it was the warranty, which is just the stickers. Since then I've always bought the least expensive and I always get 5 or more years out of them.

5. CruZer

CruZer

I've used Dyna-Bats for the past 10 years .One in a coupe I had and now there's one in my roadster.They work great and all I do is put it on the Battery Minder during the winter.

They take up almost no room,too.

6. Weasel

Weasel

Odyssey for me too. Never had a problem, mount 'em sideways or whichever way they fit....

7. bgaro

bgaro

interstate sells reconditioned batteries for $30. they are basically batteries that the drivers warrantied and later tested to be good.

8. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Never had a problem with Interstste

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good comments here!--As for myself & equipt. always a Sears diehard, 5 yrs. ago the diehard wouldn't hold a long charge (1 month), in my roadster, where the battery is mounted in the trunk area. So, I replaced it with an Optima, since I loved the "NO LEAK" feature & being a sealed unit---Means no more adding water or spillage in the trunk upholstery. During winter time I usually fire up the roadster 1 time a month, bring the temp up to 180 before shutting down, & the OPTIMA works great!
    Same way with the Equipt. with the diehard----Holds a good charge firing up 2 times a month---Winter OR summer.
    I think the one guys comment on the charging system might be a good one!---Don

10. WINGMAN9 you beat me to it! :p

I've used the Auto Zone Group 24 batteries in just about everything, and have had good luck with leaving them alone for weeks and months at a time. But I also have a hard & fast rule that the battery gets disconnected from EVERYTHING that goes in the garage, even if it is only overnight. I put the trickle charger on the night before (or the morning of) the day that I want to drive it and it always acts fine. The one in my 71 Road Runner is about 5 years old, the one in my Bluesmobile (daily driver) is about 5 years old, and the one that I'm using in the 49 (soon) is about 4 years old.

11. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I am going on 9 years on my Interstate. All things considered, and for the Dollar, Interstate has done me very well.

VR&C.

12. petemonster

petemonster
    from Minnesota

Delco maintenance free can last decades.

13. Retrorod

Retrorod

Any battery can last forever if you keep it on a battery tender when not being driven. I've had good luck with Optimas (where they can't be seen) but a regular lead-acid battery doesn't get any better than Interstate.

14. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

You say no optima. However they are the best batteries.

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Interstate Greentops. Dekas are good too.

16. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

Sears die hard platinum battery

17. 270283

I just bought a new Interstate to replace the one I bought ten years ago. This is in an off-topic car that spends too much time sitting. Never had to jump it or recharge it in those ten years. Nothing but Interstates for me!

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

All the different opinions are interesting when there are only three battery manufacturers in the U.S.

19. Gunrack

Gunrack

Bought one optima from jegs for 150 bucks, lasted just over a year! I go with the cheapest top/side post wal mart has. Had one warranty expire, and they still gave me a discount.

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I buy 84 month batteries from my local Bi Mart discount club store for under $50. They always hold up way beyond the 84 months.

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I had good luck with the better Autozone batteries,the first battery I put in my 37 lasted about 10 years and would still be in it if I did not have to go to a smaller battery when I installed the T-5. I got 8 years out of a battery from Advance auto parts before it died and not having much luck from wally world batteries.

22. cheveey57

cheveey57

They all should hold a charge for a while unless you have a parasitic drain on the auto.

23. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

interstate.. from the local warehouse ... 2nds for $20-30

cant beat em

24. I have had good luck with Interstate batteries.

On another note; I once stopped at a Battery Warehouse for one for an El Camino I had, and when I opened the hood to remove the old battery for a core credit, the fellow that owned the store walked out with me and tugged on my alternator belt to see if it was loose! (It wasn't.) He told me he wasn't going to sell me a new battery if the battery wasn't the problem! Needless to say, I was impressed by his "business ethic" and honesty and told myself that I would come here for any future needs.

25. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

If you put a battery disconnect switch and solenoid combo on your car you solve two big problems. One your battery will be cut off completely from your system and can not drain. Which is real do Able for us with no "puters or electronic horse poo. The other is thieves, it will take the JB just that much longer to figure your system out and doink around that he may freak out and pass.

26. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Battery, FAOCS Class 15-69, Ft Sill, OK :D

For my personal vehicles, I prefer AGM, like the former "Reactor" (blue hued aircraft type); for stuff that's going to be sold - whatever's inexpensive and available. The Reactor AGM that's been in my '40 coupe since 2005 came off my parts shelf with a tag reading " DO NOT USE - Wreck @ Darlington '92 " (came out of the #10 Valvoline Cup car). :eek::D vic

27. I am going to have to replace the battery in my 32 Ford 4 door sedan because it has finally give up the ghost,,when coming home from a show in Lexington ,South Carolina on April 21,2001 my battery died,,for the life of me I don't have a clue to it's age but it was a Sears battery.

Sitting on the side of the road in Greenwood a was able to get a ride to the local Auto Zone and purchased a battery and that is the battery I am going to have to replace,,,and believe it our not it has lasted 10 years almost to the day,,it died on the 16 th. of April,,I charged it up but it's dead again so it's time.

Interstate makes a darn good product,,and I do have a friend that sells them and he does need the business,,so I will most likely buy from him. HRP

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

The least trouble and gas-free battery I've used is INTERSTATE. We have four daily drivers and one backup; soon, ALL will have INTERSTATES in them.

I have had decent luck with NAPA and Penske batteries, too, but INTERSTATE beats all the rest, once all is considered. I've never had to pull out jumpers and beg for a jump with an interstate.

Now that I spend up to two weeks at a time in the wilderness, with help miles away, I treat my battery choice with deep respect. And I keep an eye on the charging system and also keep those damn connections clean as a pin. I'm even thinking of buying a portable charger pack as a Plan B -- remember Murphy's Law?

29. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Great minds think alike. :D
    In my sedan I run an Odyssey 925. The battery is under the floor right behind the passenger seat and I didn't want fumes in the cab. The new battery is so small compared to the 24 series wet battery it replaced that there is room for a Battery Tender to be mounted right in the battery box. Mighty handy.

30. 68 C10

68 C10
    from Athens, GA

Interstate. We sold them at the shop I used to work at and, to my knowledge, never had anyone come back with a complaint. My truck rarely gets driven nowadays and when I've been back home to drive it around I've yet to have a problem getting it to crank.