Register now to get rid of these ads!

really curious question for some on the Hamb...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nashvegas99, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

In my case its always a situation of finding one that I always wanted to build and then finding one that I really always wanted to build and then I find the one that I absolutely wanted to build then realizing that the funds to build three at one time, or as in my current situation four, comes in slower than what it takes to complete them as quickly as I wish.

Yea I could sell one or two but then I would be chaseing my tail again looking for two of the ones that I really wanted to build again.

Certain vehicles are like stray dogs to me. I want to save everyone that I come across..............:D

2. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

BINGO!!! You nailed that dead on.......

3. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is my sanity! I do not sell anything and I know it will be a nice estate sale. So what! I have given cars away to people that have befriended me or helped just to get them into this hobby. I have more than I need but I worked hard to get them and I have no reason to sell them.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm one of "Those Guys" and it started back when I was a kid building AMT model car kits in the 1960's. Yes, I still have most of them, some finished trophy winners and a lot of ones I started, kit bashed and most likely will never go back and finish. Dad's Roadster hasnt run since 1989 when he passed away. The Lyndwood rebuild is entering its 21st year and the '30 Roadster was sold then bought back 25 years later, and may or may not ever be finished in my lifetime. Having a picture in my head of the finished vehicle, and getting it there takes time and money. Looking at a finished car or just some parts from one makes me happy. I could collect stamps or coins, cars are no different, they just take up more room. Bob:)

5. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I have five projects right now. If I see something cheap I have an overwhelming urge to buy it. That is how I wound up with two early 50s Mopars. For 500 bucks a piece I just couldn't say no. I sold one for a tidy profit and the other one I might just sell off because I'm having a hard time getting motivated. The 53 Willys and the dump truck I bought because they were going to get scrapped. The Willys I've been slowly pecking away at, tried many times to sell it but no one wants a rusted out unibody car no matter how good the motor runs. I figure someday it'll get fixed to the point where someone else will want it and fix it the rest of the way. The dump truck was headed to the scrap yard and I gave scrap price for it. Used it for a while but now the motor has a nasty scrapping knock noise. I have a free 350 that might find it's way into the engine bay.

The 53 Chev I bought simply because I've always wanted a 53-54 Chevy since I was a kid. I used to play in a 53 Bel-Air out in a neighbor's field. My friend and I used to ride our bikes down after school and "fix" it up. I drew a lot of pictures of my plans for the car. My ideas were definitely not HAMB friendly (4x4 axles, big mud tires, a winch on the front end). The old coot told me I could have it but my Dad wasn't so keen on the idea. The sad truth was the car was pretty far gone, it had been sitting out in a swamp for 30-40 years. When one came up for sale in my price range I bought it. It wasn't the best deal I've ever gotten but it runs and moves. I've been more motivated to work on this one since it is something I really wanted.

However most of my problem stems from not having a garage. If I had a garage a few of my projects would have been fixed up by now. Instead I have to work around the weather and my other more important projects (like the tractor, building a chicken coop, plowing the field, fixing fences).

6. bill wallace

bill wallace

All of the above are reasons that folks use to rationalize not finishing thier project & most are legitimate but its not the not finishing thats the problem most of the time. Lots of times the best part of the project is the planning & starting & once thats done its time to get that satisfaction again. Just some amature pshycology.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can't understand why someone would keep something they'll never finish either, but I suppose it's that old saying that "hope springs eternal". Some where in their mind they must think it's still remotely possible, though common sense tells them to say it wont happen.
    I personally can't stand it when a project isn't running and driving. Once it reaches the driving stage, then I can really slow down and take my time finishing. Got three of them going right now, and all drive, but only one is my daily driver.

8. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Well Dudley, if you suffer from "build and lose interest" disease, you've got company. Can't explain it----

9. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

I'm really glad to see I'm not the only one with this disease. Fortunatly the nieghbors dont mind looking at all my "projects" in the back yard.

10. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Variety is the spice of life.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

One more thing to think about... None of this stuff that we love is getting cheaper to buy! I have been accused of being a hoarder a few times, and automotive ADD is for real. Case in point - about fifteen years ago when they were cheap, a friend offered me a '30 coupe body that was kinda rough but not too bad. Over the years as I have found a bit or piece here and there I have added it to the pile. Now in my backyard sits a fairly complete full fendered '30 coupe to build when I have a chance. In the ensueing fifteen years, the price of that car has gone from being very affordable to being very expensive. Now, if someone offered me a LARGE sum of money for it, I would probably sell it. But, I would have to sell it knowing that I probably can't afford another one. And a full fendered, late fifties/early sixties styled '30 coupe has been on my short list all of my life. So what do I do at this point? Give up on something that I have dreamed of building all my life because I have a few more things to build ahead of it? Or do I keep it and keep adding cooler finds and better parts until the day that I don't just have to work on others cars and get some time to build my own? I think you know the answer. If I'm wrong, buy it when my firends and wife sell all my stuff after I'm dead. I've got a few like that because I have been so imersed in this stuff for so much of my life (46 now, But bought my first '35 Ford when I was twelve) I have made a great network of friends and contacts that allow me to find stuff. You might try the same.

12. Here is the flipside. I have a 28 closed cab pickup. It is tucked away for a future project with the kid. Some folks would say it and my brothers 27 roadster are "hoarded". But, I HAVE OFFERED IT FOR SALE and had no takers! Sure it had a serious but affordable price on it. It has extra parts and the hard to find doors. Not to mention it is titled and licensed. So don't always think these guys are hoarding, maybe someone just has not stepped up with cash................lots of tire kickers out there.

13. sneaker squeeker

sneaker squeeker
    from wyoming

It's just the way some people are. human nature. Some like myself have one project ride and took me 7 years to get it done, but, it will always need a little of this or little of that. some people have more money and time and enjoy more than one project. I for one find it taxing enough with one with all the other stuff i have to do. You should try and get a project and set a goal and restore a ride that you like. when you have the time to work on it it's fullfilling.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Word, Tman! Been broke enough a few times... No takers!

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Yah its a type of hording just not as bad as cat hoarding. Its different for a lot of people, some are waiting for thier kids to grow up, some people just like to dream and the dream gets more real when its in their yard. I really like to have rusty old cars in my field. Id be happier watching it rust into the ground then seeing some other guy put it on the road, trade me a rustier one and id be happy. But im also a work aholic and will likely do some thing one day, wheather its build a bar or tree house out of it, shit even a car.

I got a employee who wants everything, his yard at his house is full. Ive seen him get upset that i sold or threw away something a year ago. Ive also given him stuff for it to sit in my yard. I gave him a running 454 so he could swap it for the blown one in his rv. Its sat for 6 months in the dirt, just ownership has changed hands, motor is still there. His case, he got divorced and lost his kids ten years later he lost his mom and step dad stole everything of value and then he lost his three brothers all in a year. So hes got issues but who can blame him. Now he hoards.

16. bonesy

bonesy

You got it, lots of hoarders.

The other, the guy who just loves to have others want and inquire about stuff - just to be able to say "no."

17. CustomDave

CustomDave

I am still searching for my first project so I sort of understand how you feel, but I can't really say I get pissed about it. At most I am a bit jealous maybe, only cause I don't have room for more than one project at a time. I just got rid of an old Blazer and motorcycle that I loved due to lack of room when I decided to take on a new project. If I had the room I would have kept the Blazer for the rest of my life.

18. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

If I keep them, they really mean something to me. My 28 was my grandad's, my AD is like one I had in highschool, and my 30..hell I've wanted one since I was 14. None of them are finished.

I think sometimes people underestimate the time and effort it takes to collect all this stuff. The hunk of 1930 crap in the corner represents endless hours of picking through swapmeet tables, combing craigslist, and driving a long way just because you need a particular part. You cant have mine when I die, its going with me. I still might get to it one day.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  19. Locdrjr

Locdrjr

Same reason you'll be at a swap meet, cruise, or a show and some guy who drove a Yugo, comes up and looks at your ride and the 1st words out of his mouth are "if it was mine I would a...."

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A character flaw for sure. Lack of self restraint or just plain lust. The only thing that holds me back is insufficient funds.

21. I actually thought I was over that kinda shit when I sold everything to buy a decrepid 34 five window...was able to stay focused until this '57 Lloyd [little german car] fell into my lap for only 500 bux....I made a promise to only have the 34 and the little "future gasser" Lloyd....then a few days ago I was able to buy a 55 chevy tudor. Still have to arrange shipping and storage 'till I can "get to it"...
    God, here we go again!

22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Axle reflux....... keeps on coming back up inside again and again and again.

It's my world and nobody elses and gives us something to look forward to that we find enjoyable and a passion for.

Besides it beats boredom and gives me something else to do besides mowing grass every three days.

23. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I know a guy ,a good friend ,who has collected cars for 40 years, Most started out to be decent cars.He has about 35 of them now,he has never finished one of them. He was always going to do it when he retired,well he's been retired for four years now and still nothing. He built a building,48 by 90,I told him to build a smaller one that he could actually finish. He now has a shell for a building, he is out of money and needs $20,000 to pour concrete and finsh. Cars are still rotting away on a daily basis.
    I think with a lot of people that its the I have it because everybody else wants it ,so there.

24. hotrodhillbilly23

hotrodhillbilly23
    from Indiana

How often do you here the stories about how you used to pick up vintage tin drivers for $25 back in the day, now you can hardly find them at all, so most of the cars I have that I won't sell are because I still hope to get to them someday, and know that if I sell them, the odds of finding another one like it are dwindiling away every day, and if I do, it will cost me a lot more than what I sold mine for.

25. A.D.D.
    Unfortunately I see it all the time.

26. toolman1967

toolman1967

I am 44 and my 17 yr old son is into rodding also. Why should I let something go that I like and just havent gotten around to for a while. Or that my son is planning on working on.

27. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Hoarding, or what ever you want to call it.
    It's my stuff and I'll do with it what I want.
    It's no one elses business, and I don't give a flying F #@K :D

Now go and find your own stuff to have ;)

28. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i hear people use the term "ADD" all the time when talking about SSS, or "shiny shit syndrome".

i guess people often think its cute or funny to use that term to describe wanting several projects, or selling off this one to fund the next... but let me tell you this. to someone who actually has A.D.D. hearing someone say it like that is like a sharp boot to the base of the spheres

i have it
    you dont want it
    you'd know it if you did have it

imagine standing in front of the coffee maker in the morning with an empty cup in your hands, a full pot in the maker, and not being able to remember why you got up from the table and are now standing there...

THAT, is A.D.D.

29. Larry T

Larry T

Maybe it's because some folks are more builders than they are drivers. You finish the car in sections and don't really worry about wrapping the whole thing up until most of the sub-sections are finished.
    And if you get tired of working on a section of one car, need to think about something you are doing to it, or you finish a section that solves a problem on another project, you might pull off that project and work on another for a while.
    That makes projects long drawn out affairs, but it doesn't mean you've quit on them or want to get rid of them.

30. outlaw256

outlaw256

i cant help it, i want them all.if i run up on a good deal i buy it. i got plans for them all.now i just need MONEY.