Register now to get rid of these ads!

So yeah... I'm definitely going to like gas welding. (first attempt pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I guess that might be a small lie... I did use a jeweler's torch to weld a couple inches of sheet over at Mike's (cactus1) a few weeks ago, but tonight I was able to get fully set up and go. I was pretty stoked with my results.

I am now officially baffled as to why I have been building up comparatively giant blobs of MIG weld just to go back and grind off. Also officially making my MIG machine the backup to the torch.

[​IMG]

2. good job. i also prefer gas welding over mig, i like that its slow and steady and if you make a mistake you can go right back and fix it whereas with mig that'll just make things worse

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude! That is some nice welding for a first time!! WOW!

I somehow think my first attempt wasn't quite as successful.

[​IMG]

Doc.

4. Cool !! the only bad thing about the gas welding is the heat twisting the metal, but thats nothing that hammering cant fix ! keep on !!

5. Thats the old scool way. Looks good.

6. kenb

kenb
    Member Emeritus

I like gas too. The HAZ is a definitely larger, but it's a much softer, much more user freindly kind of HAZ. Gotta love HAZ like that.

Ken

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Nice job. My Mig welds look in half as good!

8. mmmmm fire goood

9. fleet-master

fleet-master

really good work for a beginner...pretty sure mine dint look nuttin like that when I started!!
    Doc...thats some funny shit! :D:D

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work, especially for a first or second try. Just like each tool in the box may have special purposes or be easier to do a better job with so are the welders we have available. Now you can use the mig for speed and ease when you weld the spots that need to be strong but don't show and the torch for those spots and panels that you want to weld with the least finish work afterwards.

I've got the mig, a torch setup with an aircraft style handle and still can't convince myself to drag the big old Forney Stick welder out of the garage and put it in the storage shed even though I haven't used it in a year and a half. But I think it moves to the shed this weekend so I have that much more room in the tiny garage.

11. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

nice Kevin. I think that the main reason mig took over is the simplicity. The mig works on the frame and body very easily. gotta watch out for the heat, it affects a large area.

Jeff

12. fleet-master

fleet-master

migs are best on modern high tensile steels that newer cars are made of...less heat affected metal

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking weld and a far better way to do body work. Just think of the time, grinding disks, Bondo, sandpaper, dust clean up, dust masks and other steps used to hide MIG work, welcome to the world of craftmanship.

14. Looks great Kevin. What kind of torch did you get?

15. I learned to gas weld in a metal sculpture class in college in the 70's. It's one of the coolest skills I have...besides walking and chewing gum at the same time...

16. A little slow on the travel and you need to add just a bit more rod.
    THEN you will just need to tap out the wave and grind and file smooth
    the weld with no filler....good first job...

17. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

o.k. you have my attention, maby i should forgo buying a tig and just learn this instead, what tip size should you use, and is there tricks to keep from warping things terribly(like welding different spots and letting cool)

18. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

It will only get better from here. There's a world of tricks to make metal obedient that you can use a torch for. Have fun.

19. bykerlad

bykerlad
    from australia

I could live with welds like that,good stuff mate

20. Willy301

Willy301

I take an exception to this in one regard. A lot of older cars were leaded instead of using putty...because putty was not invented yet. Newer cars do not take the heat of leading as well.

21. I felt the same way back in 1970 when I took welding in school and learned to gas weld. I then bought my first TIG machine in 1986 and haven't Gas Welded since! Had a MIG since late 80's as well. Just seem to use the Gas Axe for heating and bending stuff - don't even use it for cutting once I bought a Plasma.
    nice first attempt. As you practice more, you will get small beads with less heat - even easier to work afterwords

22. alchemy

alchemy

I learned to gas weld about 1977, then we got a MIG about 1982. Didn't really miss the gas torch after that.

Then got a TIG about five years ago, and now I don't miss using the MIG.

If you like gas welding, you will love the TIG. Same soft weld, but a lower HAZ and no gas flow that will blow holes in the weld. And you can turn the thing off instantly (without looking) to grab the hammer and dolly.

Granted, it's nice to have all the skills in your pocket though.

23. Giovanni

Giovanni

Nice work! I plan on getting a torch setup this summer along with some hammers and dollies to start patching the few holes i have in my fenders. I had to weld a small piece of sheet where the hinge mounts in my Falcon's tailgate yesterday... with my trusty old Lincoln 220 ac stick welder. .045 sheet metal with a 1/8 electrode gets hairy. I was actually able to fill a hole i blew through though.

24. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

25. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Cool now you can show me how to do it!!

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool. Feels good, huh? I prefer tig and I've gotten pretty rusty at gas welding. Dad always gas welded. Mig is for body shop work and hanging new panels IMO. Yes, you can mig sheet metal and even metal finish it really nice but it's work. Finishing gas or tig welds is far more rewarding. Gas welding "takes you back" knowing that it was the weld of choice in the days we cherish. Sometimes that means something. Enjoy it bro, looks like you have a decent handle on it.

27. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I've started to use gas welding on my projects. Hammer and dolly work is a lot easier than grinding hard welds. And it look better when it is finished.

28. Yes, Kevin, I am impressed! Looks good.