Register now to get rid of these ads!

9" for Falcon/Comet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modeleh, Apr 26, 2011.

1. 72IH

72IH

I just got a rearend out of a 60 F100. It measures 60" if I remember right wheel mount to wheel mount.

2. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I need one of those dogbones, way easier than the way I do it?

3. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

It should also have the pinion offset from center, so the driveshaft will not fit well in the tunnel

4. 65COMET

65COMET

All 57,58 and 59 passenger cars had the same width axles.Not all wagons had the big bearing ends,mine came out of a 58 wagon,small bearings.I would not put an 8.8 on a scateboard,they are weak,and by the time you fix all their issues you could have a custom 9 inch for your 4.11 pumpkin to fit under your Falcon!!! ROY.

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Lincoln Versailles were Falcon (Granada) relatives and had 9-inch rear axles (rear disc brakes too). I suspect it might be easier to find a '57-'59 rear these days, though.

-Dave

6. Mark T

Mark T

They cant be the stock axles can they?

7. Here's a picture of the offset yoke and my axles are NOT the same length in the 67 - 77 broncos. Unless the car is super low where the driveshaft is all the way up to the floor I don't think you'll have a problem with the angle of the shaft.

[​IMG]

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

There are 9’’s that will fit your falcon but most of them will be 28 spline.
    What spline is your 411?
    If your 31 spline you may as well get any 9’’ housing - narrow it - and have some axles made or stockers re splined.
    I just got some killer custom axles form Dutchman for my boss’s Dana 60 and was surprised they were only $400 bucks ready to go w bearings.
    I did the housing myself ….. It was no big deal.

9. modeleh

modeleh

My carrier is 28 spline. I'm not to worried about its weakness, it is a light car and it won't have much traction anyway.

10. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I have a 63 Econlines rear setting on the floor. It is a 9 inch and something tells me it is 61 inches hub to hub

11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Look for a early cougar ….. more common with a 9’’ verses mustang.

12. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I did a search and found a little info about the Bronco. I have played with the trucks some and only read about the cars. I always though it was going to be one or the other -- equal length axles or centered pinion. Here is what I found though for small bearing Broncos: RH axle is 29-5/8" LH is 27-1/4. That's only 2-3/8" difference (if I did my math right), or some hybrid of the 2 extremes of centered pinion and equal length axles. Based on proportions from Drive Em's info that would have the pinion off center by about 1-3/16" (just like you said in the other post you listed above :eek:)

You're right, that may be enough to fit everything where it needs to be.

13. modeleh

modeleh

well I guess I'm not completely brain dead yet. My memory was telling me that the axles were different lengths in the Broncs and by golly it was right. After all this though, the information posted throughout this thread concludes that the axle lengths don't really make a difference.

14. The early Econolines were little 7.5" rear ends - the weakest Ford made.

As for 8.8" not being strong enough. I worked with a guy who ran a 79 Mustang Drag Radial car that ran 9.50's without any issues on the 8.8 with just the usual bolt in stuff Limited Slip, aftermarket axles, good gears.

15. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Yeah, I was really confused by the offset pinion AND the different length axles, but now it makes sense. The main point is that you don't have to worry about the different length axles because most of the cars had different length axles so that they could center the pinion in the tunnel.