Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swisted Knot Wheel Brush from Hell!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickbybirth, Apr 19, 2011.

1. buickbybirth

buickbybirth

FYI. Last night I switched side grinders and noticed one of my side grinders turns a lot more rpms than the other. The higher rpm grinder made it almost impossible to contol the cup brush and it definately threw a lot more wire at you. The slower grinder does a much better job and maintains rpms better under load without you having to fight it; not to mention it throws a lot less wire at you. Guess that's why the cup brush from Dewalt had a recommended rpm rating on the package.

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Ewwwwwwww.......

[​IMG]

3. Did the buzzer go off?;)

Attached Files:

4. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

I was using safety goggles and had one wire wheel "wire" stick so far in my forehead that I had to get my dad to pull it out with a pair of pliers.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Ever heard that "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"? I'll use that one to cover this case:cool::). Besides, as much as I'm trying some of the "new products" there's still some incidents that the new stuff doesn't cover as well as the old tried and true................wire brushes being one.:rolleyes:

Frank

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I like wire wheels for de-burring cuts on angle iron and flat stock, and a fine wheel on a bench grinder isn't gonna do much on a piece of 1/4-inch steel with a gnarly chop-saw burr. A wire wheel is quick, efficient, a helluva lot cheaper than anything from 3M, and lasts about a gazillion times longer.

I also like wire wheels for de-rusting screw threads.

-Brad

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Many years ago, I was using a chisel with a "somewhat" mushroomed head. Right around the time I was thinking "Hey, I should stop what I am doing and grind that down before a flake flies off" a piece came off, and glanced off my neck, or so I thought. About six months later, I noticed I had a large, inflamed zip on my neck. Gave her a squeeze, and out came a substantial quantity of nasty yellow puss, followed by a rather large flake of metal. MmmmmmMMMMM.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

rofl! Ouch!

9. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

We like to call them 'superman pubes'!! Haha!!

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awwwww!!!
    I had the same sort of problem a while ago:(, only I awoke with incredible and severe R/Side, Superior Groin Pain.
    I dug out a slither of metal after a while and while I can unfortunately work out where it came from I am worried.................did it damage mi bwain twooo:eek::confused:

Doc.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must know any better either as I still use cup brushes and a wire brush on the bench grinder.

A full faceshield is a must have for any of us who use grinders, wire wheels, cut disks, chop saws or any other tool that might sling something. Something that doesn't cost a lot of money but you can't drive your rod when you get it done if you can't see so you can drive it.

12. fastfx

fastfx
    from ontario

Lets just say i wear a jock when wire brushing.

13. slepe67

slepe67

In the mid-1950s, my grandfather (RIP) walked into a shop to have his car worked on. A guy was using a brush-wheel to clean something nearby. He felt something hit his eye. Thought it was dust or something. Next morning, his eye had drained out. Lost his eye. Which, is why I wear eye-pro religously!

14. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

We call'em porcupine kisses.

15. buickbybirth

buickbybirth

Good Quote! The kiss that sticks.:rolleyes:

16. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

I've done just about everything everyone else
    has and had the same bad experiences. An old
    timer told me that I was probably using the cup
    brush wrong. Way too high of an rpm and letting
    the grinder just buzz away doing nothing. His point
    was that these things have an optimum rpm range,
    exceed it and the bristles come out in a hurry. Always
    have the brush on the metal to be cleaned, don't just
    start the grinder and walk up to the metal, the grinder
    will overspeed and the bristles will come out. Since
    then I've had very few problems. Sometimes it pays to
    listen. Got lots of scars to prove when I didn't.
    Matt

17. Deuces

Deuces

Ya ever set yer shirts on fire with a 90 degree disc grinder???.. It's happened to me a couple of times.. DOH! :eek:

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

PROTECT THOSE EYES AT ALL COST! So far, I've been very lucky with my injuries. During cam break-in with the Nova, a razor blade I had left on the radiator core support vibrated into the fan and lodged itself in my right arm. Lucky it wasn't my eyes!

19. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Had one stuck in my lip before, I had eye protection on. Now I make sure I use a face shield.

20. junkmonger

junkmonger

A big twisted wire cup on a Metabo 7" Angle grinder takes off paint real fast, but don't let it catch your clothes. Mine caught my jeans and ripped the whole leg off the jeans, and it didn't do my leg any good either. Moral of the story: be careful.

21. buickbybirth

buickbybirth

Since I first made this post I let the cup brush get caught n a hole which instantly jerked the grinder handle out of my hand which led my hand into the brush. NASTY SUCKER! I have a scar from 25 years ago thats about 4 inches long now from a side grind that grabbed my pants and burned into my thigh about 1/2 an inch deep. As I look back I've done some pretty stupid things. Most of which happened because I was tired or not paying close attention. The older I get the shorter amount of time it's safe for me to use them without resting. Mainly because I broke both my hands up pretty bad in my wilder days. If I had only known what I know now fewer things would have upset me and fewer people would have been hit.