Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who wants a 1963 Mercury Meteor... for FREE??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, Apr 11, 2011.

1. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

Hey I'm a FNG but guess what, I don't need / deserve / desire to put my name in. But to Monster, this is a killer idea! nice job. Coolest thing I have seen on a board anywhere. good luck with your search!

2. rockabilly_kid

rockabilly_kid
    from Reno, NV

Just to answer the gal's question, I have two buddies here in Reno who run their own rod resto shops out of their garages. My buddy Brian, has redone my friend Nikki's '64 Dart, and my buddy Tony, who I believe is a member on here, runs his own custom shop too out of his garage as well. So I have the help if the car was given to me, and it for sure would not be sittin' in a driveway untouched. Thanks again Monster!

-Allan

3. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

There is a group here in Portland who helps kids in low income area's by helping them gain experience working on cars, not to mention keeping them busy. I'll try to find the info for you and get it up here. They approached our club to see if we wanted to come out and help. They would be a great home for your car!

4. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I think its RAD that you use the word 'RAD'. Are you from the Atari Generation like me??? hahaha. Killer dude.

5. rrauthority

rrauthority

You know, why don't schools give these kids a taste of the old and new. Possibly a customizing course in High School or Tech school? It's a dying art unfortunately.

6. nali

nali

I vote Allen .

7. chevyshack

chevyshack

Rockabilly kid, you have good intentions but i think you guys need a turn key. You can buy a cheap car off ebay for less than it will cost to restore this car in all its glory. Im not trying to be the kill joy here but it was stated monster wanted the car to go to someone who will fix it and make it a nice car again. I cant keep my mouth shut when i hear people say they have no money to buy a car but they want this one. I say its a pipe dream. These people will never get the car done without alot of donations or unless it takes them the next 20 years of saving. This hobby aint cheap. Now if guys n gals want to donate their time and money then give it away i say game on. Sorry for my rant. I sound like a jerk but im just stating the obvious.

8. rockabilly_kid

rockabilly_kid
    from Reno, NV

I get what your saying, but in all honesty this car is an easy starting point. I have access to a good motor for it, and I have resources to help me out with working on it and painting it. My Dart was in worse condition than this car is. I agree with what your saying 100%, but again, this isn't gonna be a full resto job. I plan to shoot some paint on it, get it running and mechanically good, and roll with it that way. Its a great starting point and won't need much to be roadworthy. And I've got plently of help. I just don't want to be thought of as a case where the car is gonna be parked forever and never get done, because that's not the case here. I have plans, and resources to back it. This car will be on the road, with my mom behind the wheel.

-Allan

9. rockabilly_kid

rockabilly_kid
    from Reno, NV

I get what your saying, but in all honesty this car is an easy starting point. I have access to a good motor for it, and I have resources to help me out with working on it and painting it. My Dart was in worse condition than this car is. I agree with what your saying 100%, but again, this isn't gonna be a full resto job. I plan to shoot some paint on it, get it running and mechanically good, and roll with it that way. Its a great starting point and won't need much to be roadworthy. And I've got plently of help. I just don't want to be thought of as a case where the car is gonna be parked forever and never get done, because that's not the case here. I have plans, and resources to back it. I'm not broke or anything, I work a steady job and have an income. Just not one to go buy a $5k car and then spend 5k more on fixing it up. Getting this car gives me the headstart and chance to put my mom behind the wheel of a car she'd love, with the ability on my part to afford painting it and the few parts its missing. I can do the body work my self as well as mechanical work. This car will be on the road, with my mom behind the wheel.

-Allan

10. anthonyg

anthonyg
    from arizona

this has been one of the coolest threads ive read in a while. cant wait to see who gets it:cool:

11. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'll chime in. Not for me, but for my big brother. He doesn't have a sob story or some tear jerking experience that would warm the heart, other than he's sacrificed everything in his life (like many of us do) for his family. He's the father of three beautiful girls, and a good husband to his wife. He's worked damn hard to put himself through college, and is now working just as hard to keep food on the table. I'm the single one in the family and can justify spending money however I want- hence I have my own project. My brother has given up everything for his family, and deserves a great starter like this. I talk to him a couple of times a week and give him updates on my progress and just know that he's dying to do something like this. But due to his unselfish nature he wouldn't splurge on a sweet project like this for possibly several more years.

Because I know his heart, and am his brother I know he would love to take on this build. I live close enough, and would be there to offer support. He is a member of the HAMB but doesn't post much. He has a meticulous nature and would build a subtle custom that would rival any of the builds on the HAMB. He just needs an opportunity to get started- and what an opportunity to give a great car to someone who gives his everything to the people he loves. In a round about way, I'm saying that I love my brother very much, look up to him very much, and think he's a great candidate.

Thanks again Monster for doing this. Regardless of the outcome, I'm sure glad you're on here, and there are people like you out there.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  12. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Very awesome thread! I wouldn't want to be a judge in this show.

13. csiki22

csiki22

I belive Rockabilly Kid....his Dart is awesome.....my two cents,hope he gets it....

14. coffeegirl

coffeegirl

I wonder if this IDEA will help another person, in a different part of the nation.

I know there must be several cars with a clear title, just waiting for the right HAMBer to be choosen to recieve that special gift, for FREE !

Not everyone lives in the NW, several great people who wrote, live all over the nation.

Make up your own rules for getting the car etc.

This way new HAMBers get to really work on a great ( or make it a great car ) &
    WE GET TO SEE IT BEING BUILT !!!

I for one love, the pics, and look forward to the next phase of their developtment.

Just a thought .....

15. SG Kage

SG Kage
    from Boise

It was awful wonderful to see my little brother throw my hat in the ring. Thanks Grovedawg for the ringing endorsement. What he didn't tell you is that I would whoop him something terrible when he was younger (and still smaller, the little turd is huge now). While he paints a lovely picture of who I am, I thought you should know the full truth. I am an angry soul who will likely shot the first boy who asks my daughter on a date. Then I will sue him for damaging my perfectly good bullet.

Yes, I am a lawyer. However, the grease is for my vehicles, not my clients. I mostly do estate planning and elder law. Lately, my practice focuses on giving back to the community and representing poorer children in guardianship and custody cases. Thus, I don't have the money to purchase a project vehicle for a frame off resto.

If I did get this car, it would be a daily driver that slowly worked its way toward the showroom. May even take it to the Northwest Motofest since it is just down the road. Now don't expect me to get all Langy on this. I don't have an once of his talent or a hundredth of his tools. But I will make it unique. Even though it is a 4 door, I want it. It may not be the hardtop that traditionalist love, but I think it is a classy looking vehicle. Just image if the back doors ended up suicide? I don't know if I would go that crazy, but I may get a little wild one night and decided to give it a try.

Now you have to make a hard decision. There seem to be plenty of worthy candidates. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing what will become of this classic car.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  16. TheLindsey

TheLindsey

Awww this is awesome!! I've got a '64 Merc Comet and I love that guy. This is a great opportunity for both car and driver :)

17. Spooky

Spooky

Okay, I am DYIN' here! Who won?!?!?!?

18. The_Monster

The_Monster

!! WE HAVE A WINNER !!

First of all, a huge THANK YOU is in order to all of you who wrote in and asked to be considered for this offer.

There were close to 30 entries and several tough decisions had to be made.

We had no idea at the beginning that this would generate such enthusiasm.

The offers of help and services and all around generosity and support is something to be noted and makes us feel honored to be a part of the HAMB!

One kind gesture brought out so many more that it goes to show there are plenty of people here on the HAMB that have something to offer.

After the end of the month, my brother and I got together with my folks.

We had printed out all of the entries of all who wished to be considered.

We read through every single one and took detailed notes on all.

We then read through all of our notes and discussed what we had written.

This process took no less than 3 solid hours to narrow it down to one person.

After long deliberation our final choice and new proud owner of the '63 Merc is 54RAT and his son.

This will be a father son project for them and we wish them all the best.

We hope that they share their build and their fun times working on the car with all of us here on the HAMB, after all, that’s what its all about!

Unfortunately, we didn’t have a car for every one of the many deserving folks on the HAMB who entered.

We hope there may be others across the states who could offer a HAMBer a project car as well.

Once again thanks to all!

The Monster and family

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  19. Congrats to the lucky and deserving recipients!
    I'm sure they are looking forward to many hours and years on this father and son project.

And Monster deserves a huge attaboy for such a generous gift!!

20. That is awesome. His description of how they were going to do it was rad to. Hopefully a build thread is in order. Congratulations 54rat!

21. Spooky

Spooky

How cool is that?
    54RAT is pretty skilled with a wrench and Joe is a pretty great kid. 54RAT is a good friend, and I will help however I can. I mean, c'mon, he is used to working on Bowties and Studies. I am his only real Ford friend.

22. brian spencer

brian spencer

23. Spooky

Spooky

WOW! Hey FNG, did you read before ya posted?

24. Zerk

Zerk

Congrats 54RAT and Joe! Best of luck with the project (keep us in the loop please, because a lot of us want to see the progress, and some of us can probably help).

The Monster: You made a tough right decision. Well done!

25. 63rat

63rat
    from warren Or

my dad and i will be making a thread soon!

26. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Congrats 63rat/54rat and enjoy the car! This was a great gesture and thanks for thread monster I enjoyed reading it. Your family had a tough decision.

27. fiveonechevy

fiveonechevy

54rat! That lucky cuss! He's gonna do well with this.

28. RDR

RDR

Well, thank you monster and family...that was fun.....!!

29. skoh73

skoh73

Awesome! Congrats to the lucky father and son. I am very much looking to a build thread- can't wait.

Monster and family- what a great idea, and such a selfless act. I commend you for your amazing gift. This is the kinda stuff that makes the HAMB such a great place.

30. Well done Monster, to the Rats let me know when and if you decide the Merc needs some louvers. my offer still stands.