Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your favorite battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Apr 29, 2011.

1. NO OPTIMA. What batery do you like for price...and ability to hold a charge in cars we leave parked for a while sometimes?

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Free ones! I got this little warehouse by my work and i get them with no sticker for 30-35 bucks a piece. Then when they go bad i sell them as scrap and get like 10 bucks back.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Recently I needed a size 34 battery. As i hadn't been battery shopping in a while, I was shocked by the prices at Auto Zone, Advance Auto and Walmart. All were in the $95-$100 range. Went to Costco and bought one for $69.99 including a better warrantee. Wouldn't throw my money away on a Heche in Mexico Optima.

4. 21tat

21tat

I was gonna say Optima because that's what's in my cars and they work very well. Guess I'll follow this thread and try to learn something.

5. Caractacus Potts

Caractacus Potts

AC Delco - Good, relatively cheap, black case, hideway handle.
    Batteries should be black.

6. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Any battery that has the Caterpillar name on them.

Not cheap, but worth every penny

1940 Willys Coupe

7. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Number 1 selling battery in america....INTERSTATE...NUFF SAID

8. badshifter

badshifter

I go for 12 Volt batteries.

9. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I stopped buying new made batteries. I do like the guy above said. I buy them from a local yard for $30 with a 1 year warranty and the core I can sell for $10.
    They let me search through what they have and you can find some deals.

10. spot

spot
    from usa

What ever is cheapest. I used to be a DieHard fan but they are not what they used to be. The $45 pepboys specials last as long for me as the high dollar batteries.

11. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

The toughest I've had in recent years was an Interstate. I really abused that thing but it kept bouncing back. I've seen several people bragging on walmart and I guess they might be on to something. The 50 Caddy I picked up this winter had been parked for 2 years. I charged the old walmart battery and it has been strong so far.

Last time I bought an AC Delco (over 10 years ago) it was made in China. I returned it.

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

The ones i buy are new, i buy them from the importer before there badged with whatever.

13. 5window

5window

Do a quick search and you'll find not everyone has had the best luck or has the best opinions about Interstate.

Honestly, I get my batteries at Walmart. They last longer than the warranty, if you have a problem any Walmart will take care of the problem and they are a fair price. The one or two times I ever had a problem-including dailies, farm tractor, lawn equipment and hot rod-Walmart tested and replaced them with no hassle.
    I am not great fan of Walmart, but I am a great fan of a product doing what it is supposed to and a store standing behind their product if it doesn't.

There, that's 'nuf said!

14. Muttley

Muttley

Do you dislike them because of performance or looks? I have one in my Comet but its in the trunk, if I absolutely had to run it under the hood I'd have a hard time using one too.................they are hideous.

15. railroad

railroad

We used to have a battery warehouse near B'ham. When you asked for a battery they would ask, what kind and stick the brand name on it. They mostly were made by one or two manufacturers. Some of the brands were interstate and diehard. I know most now have branded logos, but the part that batteries are made by a few manufacturers is probably still true. I think tires are the same, except for the new influx of import tires.

16. Greezeball

Greezeball

For us Canucks I'd have to say Motomaster Eliminator I have one that's at least 10 years old and been in at least 10 different vehicles. And there's a Canadian tire store in every little po-dunk little town even where there is no walmart there will be a Canadian Tire. Left mine in my chevy in an unheated garage all winter and it fired up no problem. I ussually take it in the house for the winter but forgot and I thought for sure it'd be toast as we get quite a few days in the -40s.

17. I use a battery tender on stuff I let sit for long periods.

18. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

Never had a problem with Interstste

19. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

DEKA built in AMERICA 2year replacement warranty no questions asked. Optima crap should be banned almost cost me a car the mofo's:mad:

20. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I am getting fond of Odyssey AGM batteries, so far so good on the three I have so far...

21. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

22. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

23. hotdamn

hotdamn

I have one of those Fancy Odyssey's and it was awesome until a brake light switch malfunctioned and left my brake lights on for 3 days...

I found that those fancy gel batteries are great unless they die from a slow drain...

If I charge it it will hold just enough to crank the car then it dies.

as for optima's they used to be rad, then they moved mexico and now if you car sits for any length of time your battery will most likely be dead and not hold a charge.

It has not happened to me but I know 3 people that it has...

24. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

WELL i have been selling interstate since 1982....made in america...my choice is an interstate...i run a auto repair shop here in florida...i see wallmart batteries everyday...they work yes...but most do leak,where an interstate does not...

this thread asked what was my favorite battery....my is interstate..

Rooster

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would think that if your battery is draining while sitting you have issues with your electrical system. of course your battery could be getting weak as well...

my 61 Dodge rarely gets driven. it will sit for months. there is always enough juice to start it, and it is a hard starting bitch when cold. the last battery I had in it was 8 years old when I bought the replacement. I never put a charger on it or removed the cables.

my brother in law has a battery in his boat that is 10 years old. he keeps a "battery tender" charger on it all the time. he was going to replace it just to be sure he had a good one when this years boating season started. the guy he brought it to checked it and it was still good and he told him he'd be tossing money in the shitter if he did so.

so I'm thinking maybe it's not the brand of battery, but how it is maintained and the electrical system of the car in question.

26. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

i have used biltema battries they are cheap

27. They're too finiky to charge after setting around for a while. Some of my cars might sit around for a couple months at a time

28. Muttley

Muttley

Fair enough. I see you switched your avatar again..............you didnt sell the Judge off already did you?

29. bingo....we have a winner!

I should add that quality of battery does help....but that car in question can have a lot to do with the problem.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  30. has anyone that has had trouble with their optima tried charging it while it's hooked in parallel to another battery?