Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Open Headers on a 200 mile road trip - bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jaker, Apr 25, 2011.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Think I have potential newbie HAMBer living up the street from me. Him and his big, fat-ass betty have tatties out the ying-yang, renting the basement suite up the block. He drives a BAD-ASS eighties V-6 Ford Aerostar with the exhaust broken off at the Y-pipe, leaves for work every morning at 5:50 AM, and being a bad-ass mo-fo hot rodder, he always pins it all the way up to the stop sign on the corner. This morning, he had to turn around and come back, probably forgot his dope. I own 4 sixties era cars, Murray at the other end of the block owns a nice, restored '65 malibu SS, and another guy up the street has a modified '62 Impala, but we are all in awe of this guy, on account of he's a real-deal, bad-ass, mo-fo, hard-core HAMB hot-rodder, not a milquetoast geezer like us wanna-be's. I figure any day now, hes REALLY gonna show us, and paint it rattle can black with some brush-painted flames.:rolleyes:

2. striptnut

striptnut

WELL SAID 1927 DEATH TRAP . " I likes your style "

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

you could do yourselves a big favor and not act like marrooons in residential areas. I would not complain if the guy with loud pipes drove like normal folks. the problem lies in that most everyone with loud pipes have throttles with 2 positions, idle and stupid.

I dont mind a good sounding motor, even if its a little on the loud side, however when I can hear your penis extension when you have already passed my house and are miles away it tends to piss me off.

4. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

The only potential of hurting the engine is warping the valves when they cool off too rapidly. Personally, I don't think I've ever seen it happen; appearently it can though. Otherwise, it won't hurt a god damn thing.

If you are worried about your ears, wear ear plugs.

This is a stupid thread. Can we lock it please?

5. Larry T

Larry T

I don't really see many positive aspects of running open headers on the street but do what you want, it's not gonna hurt your engine. Please don't come on here, bitch and moan about any headaches, hearing loss, tickets, ass whippings, etc. you get because of your decisions, though.
    Larry T

6. I'm surprised nobody brought this up, but in my opinion, if your car runs hot with anything besides open headers, I'd say you have some other issues to work out before taking any long trips.

7. maybe some of these guys just need this sticker to make it all right
    [​IMG]

8. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

As long as were recommending decals, I like this one:

[​IMG]

A question for the expert: if mine is shaped like a tuna can, is it still considered little?

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres hoping no-one has a fire extinguisher handy....

12. Diavolo

Diavolo

Not offended in the least. I actually like a good rumble. That being said, I sleep in the day and it is SOOO annoying to listen to the potato machines with open pipes when I need my beauty rest (I REALLY need my beauty rest!)

I'm just saying that being loud is generally not considered a safety feature in most circles. Just ask if you get a safe driver discount from your insurance if you run open headers.:p

BTW, welcome to Rio Rathole! When ya get here...

13. striptnut

striptnut

Never gonna happen Tinman . Your still thinkin all cars with loud pipes are unsafe and are out to create havok on the street huh? Too bad . Im gonna drive what I like to drive anyway . I recommend you either deal with it ......or not . Dont really care anymore.

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

didnt say they were unsafe, just annoying. nothing like having douchebag with open pipes do a full on speed test in front of your house at 2 am.

happens way to often round here.

Be kind and courteous to your nieghbors and you'll find you got lots less hassles.

15. striptnut

striptnut

Hey falcongeorge For someone to hope that on any "car guy" wether its a type of car you dig or not is just screwed up . I think youve been sittin down on that computer chair to long puttin your brain to sleep[if ya know what I mean].

16. striptnut

striptnut

17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yeah,, well the wife works nights,, 2 in the afternoon is just as bad as 2 am.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny thing is, half the guys you are mouthing off on here, actually build race cars. Well actually, better than half, pretty much all. And Tinman and I usually dont agree on much, but we both seem to be in agreement when it comes to you.

19. striptnut

striptnut

Man you must have some real assholes driving around your area to piss you off enough to hate all the loud cars in existance.Thats to bad . Wait let me check............Nope I still love OPEN HEADERS and LOUD PIPES even after all the bitching and moaning on this thread. Matter of fact Im bored with this subject. Im changing the channel.

20. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I ripped the muffler off one side of my exhaust while pulling into the driveway. I couldn't stand the noise the next 20 seconds it took me to pull into the garage.... bad idea.

21. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

I dont mind a good sounding motor, even if its a little on the loud side, however when I can hear your penis extension when you have already passed my house and are miles away it tends to piss me off.[/QUOTE]

What's a penis extension? I've never had to use one..:D:eek::D:eek:

22. No one needs one if they never get past second base. ;)

I don't really find open headers to be an annoyance. A silver back thumping his chest or a youg ape pulling his pud its all entertaining.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  23. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Hearing? what did you say? speak up a little,the ringing in my ears is to loud!!! Dont do the open headers it not worth the loss you are going to have!! Ask me and if I can hear you I will tell you.

24. i think that everyone has missed the point of the question
    he want to know if he will hurt the ENGINE...not his EARS
    yes he will deff hurt his ears...we established that
    now will he hurt the engine...probably not
    ok off my high horse
    tk

25. Mudgy

Mudgy

26. Hahaha.... "WHAT"????

On my trip to "Mokan"... I think "GERG" lasted about 145 miles until he reached for the earplugs...! (as seenin the photo and as you know... my car had baffles!);)

Thought the photo's would show the plugs but I run them deep enough to touch each other... "it stops the echoeing"!

I needed glasses for the other reason... not the TV...!

Attached Files:

27. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Jaker Looks like this thread has about run out. Could you start a new one please. Gawd the DRAMA. Maybe you could call it Real HAMBers of New Jersey or something like that. Oh did I offend someone? Maybe you can tell me how you feel about that.

28. striptnut

striptnut

Watch it 2manytoys those guys "actually build race cars " -Sorry Hambers had to throw one more stone before I go 'wrench on my loud car'. p.s.-no offense to all the other race car builders out there..just dont throw it in my face man!

29. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Actually I love this thread.

Now where is that new OEM muffler and resonator and I bought for my car.

30. Jaker

Jaker

Per PapaJ's picture...

I put the baffles in, but with the wind noise it wouldn't have mattered either way.

Great trip and a GREAT show.

[​IMG]