Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 chevy firewall mounted master cylinder questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Chris, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Ok so I put some headers on my 54 chevy and now my pedals arm hits the header so now I have to redo my brake setup. I am going to keep it drums all the way around so I dont need a booster and just want to mount my master cylinder on the firewall. I know for the master I can use a late 60's dual master cylinder, but my question now is what about the pedal assembely? I would like to keep it as simle looking as possible, what would you all suggest?

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I did a wilwood circle track dual master cylinder swinging pedal setup on mine when I had my 53. Got it used at a stock-car swap meet pretty cheap.

3. See can you find a 53-4 with power brakes. It will have a swinging pedal and a renforced plate to mount on the firewall.

4. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

ansen type simple

will mention again autozone rebuilt are sleeved by a large company in canada

Attached Files:

5. MJ mike

MJ mike

I used a setup from Walton Fabrication on my 53 tin woodie.
    It was awsome to install - bolt in and well engineered.
    They have kits for 48 - 54 chevys.
    www.waltonfabrication.com

6. i used this type in a '54 buick. pedals had to be braced to keep them from bending sideways. the two '51's i did i used '70's camaro swing pedals they bolted to the firewall and the dash.

7. T Weed

T Weed

Years back I had a 51 with a hanging pedal set-up from a 56 installed, as i recall it went in real easy...

8. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Do you all got any pics of u alls set up, im on a budget like everyone else here so im looking for a cheap setup to use. Like I said im going to keep it drums all around. Thanks

9. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Tri-five Chevy set up looks right in these and if I remember is a pretty easy swap.

10. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

You'll need a brace from the firewall to the dash. The stock firewall on my was not strong enough to take the peddle load. It flexed a lot.

11. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

any pics?

12. Tin Can

Tin Can

I set up one out of an s10 in mine. Plentiful and cheap and easy to find parts for. Got the entire brace from the firewall to the dash and put a thicker plate for the drivers side of the firewall. Mine is all tore apart now for finish work and paint so no pics

13. My Buick with a TH400 is getting a pedal from a Aztek. Yeah, I know, but ugly is not catching.

The pedal is a straight vertical mount for a flat firewall, the bolt pattern is the same as mid 90's Caprice and some GM pickups, and the boosterfrom the Caprice looks like it will fit the 78 master cylinder.

14. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I used an s10 set up but if you have the coin the walton kit is very nice

15. chevsled53

chevsled53
    from Australia

I used a 55 chevy pedal in mine and was quiet easy to fit

16. Chopp'd49

Chopp'd49

I used an ECI set up in my 49 Ford. It was easy to install and the guys were a great help.

17. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

Sorry no pics of mine. Used the assembly from an S10. Used both the clutch and the brake peddle. Needed to modify the back to interface with the dash.

18. outlawcuda

outlawcuda
    from Wisconsin

Have any of you seen where they used 2 clutch pedals from a S10s. ? Did you guys make your own linkage? The pins for the S10 clutch is a weird size.