Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rod & Custom new little pages eta 3-15-11???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy, Mar 6, 2011.

1. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

the reason for the little pages success was we could hide them in our high skool notebook!

2. aggertgall

aggertgall
    from OKLA

amen

3. RF

RF

No begrudgenin' allowed. If you don't like a ton of ads sprinkled with ad-based editorial in between, good, then you'll hate this...crappy, thick-ass paper with satin finish, not a single bit of edit involving advertisers--all 8 of them--and just a bunch of historical junk featuring old hot rods/customs, a clone or two, and some dribble about an over-the-hill drag racing pioneer and some dude named Duke, who supposedly is responsible for creating some sort of windshield frame that looks like it belongs more on a boat.

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Haha, sounds awful Rob. ;)

5. RF

RF

But against my better judgement, there is respect for the HAMB...

Attached Files:

6. bob-o

bob-o

You've got me intrigued, Rob :)

7. Spike!

Spike!

Nice Rob! Can't wait to see it!

Spike!

8. RF

RF

Apparently it's on the 'stands now--you might have to do a little weeding through the bigger mags depending on where they end up displaying it, and by whom.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is great news! Nice work Rob! Looking forward to picking it up!

10. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I'm going to the newsstand everyday. I literally can not wait.

11. monsterflake

monsterflake

any other industry guys wanna chime in? this is like a roll call in here! :)

12. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

They're doin what they can with what they got.....I for one say thanks

13. Spike!

Spike!

I think the industry guys should get a copy sent to them..just sayin...hahaha! I like getting mail.

Spike

14. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I subscribe to R&C and I see the cover price is $5.99 for this small issue, what's the price for the regular newsstand issue of the larger Rod & Custom?

15. river1

river1

$5.99 for the larger R&C

16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Rob...if you reprint one of my features that I did in the 1960's, will I get a residual payment?

17. Willys 77

Willys 77
    from up north

The ONLY Mag I bought regularlyback in the day! Still have the old (BigGeR) R&C pages!

18. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Uh oh!

19. bingo.. winner chicken dinner

20. lownslo50

lownslo50
    from Florida

I'll buy it. Just because I can't stop myself.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found it on the rack at Fred Meyers in Richland Wa last night and bought it but outside of a quick look through didn't sit down and read it and I forgot to stick it in my laptop bag. 5.95 is a hell of a lot more than I paid for my first little R&C though as I had to use half my allowance to get that one for a quarter.

From what I saw with the quick glance it is worth buying and will be a great one for the guys who want to see what nicer rods from that era really looked like.

22. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

It will die a slow death if there is little ad revenue. It's a fact of life.

23. nickleone

nickleone

Rob,
    What I would like to see is an issue or 3 with all the Sketchpad type articles.
    They are great inspiration.
    I have been reading R&C since about 1957.
    Nick

24. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

This will be the Cats meow !

25. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Well fellas, I just received the little book in the mail today and it's just is a piece of art! Haven't read much yet but the art direction is top drawer.

I'll be the first to thank the few advertisers that paid for this little gem so we can enjoy it. And you will. My reservations are here by withdrawn.

They even featured my favorite T - Clayton Paddison's evil black '26 roadster (err, featured on here first!)

26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Using archival material (no cost for writers/photographers) and leveraging the distribution and printing is a sure formula for success. Petersen made money hand over fist with the one shots and annuals back in the sixties and seventies with no ads. This is the true meaning of profitable recycling!

To put things in perspective, Margie Petersen representing the Petersen Foundation gave a gift of $100,000,000 to the Petersen Museum this week. This was in unrestricted funds, cars and real estate.

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

To put things in perspective, a publisher I know well once told me that Bob Petersen had him in his office one day, and said "See that building across the street? One floor of that building makes me in a month what Hot Rod and Motor Trend make me in a year." It was a big office building. One of many he owned.

He also earned an air taxi/rental/lease company that shit money too.

Petersen's publishing empire wasn't even close to his top earner. That's why he was able to take all the money from the sale of the publishing empire and donate it the museum.

-Brad

28. RF

RF

Actually, there's very little archive material, if much at all. All new "material"...all old "metal". Rehashing's easy--we used 99% non-recycled goods...I'm not much of a tree hugger, and I can't stand the color green!

29. Spike!

Spike!

So then you ARE sending me one Rob? hahahaha

Spike

30. hotrod35

hotrod35
    from IL

I just seen them on the racks yesterday. Was spotted at a BP Amoco Station here in IL.