Register now to get rid of these ads!

electronic ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Apr 27, 2011.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've had Pertronix kit in one car for 12 yrs., and just stuck another kit in the dist. of my Austin's smallblock. No issues ever. They work great!

2. I've ran the Duraspark with the box and with an HEI module to fire it. The ford module quit once. Used a HEI module to fire it. Quit again a few years later. Turned out the Duraspark dizzy imploded and sheared the roll pin on the dizzy gear. Back to the HEI with another Dizzy.

3. chubbie

chubbie

67 mustang is a great thing! its just off topic:rolleyes: a GM HEI is available for the small ford. stranded?? thats points and condenser!! you would have to carry the little kit w/ a points file ect....why would you carry the extra points parts with you for emergency? if you are going to carry something, carry a replacement module!!!!!!!

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Guys we are misunderstanding the issues here !!

Maybe i can clear it up a little bit.

First of all lets discuss the factory systems . ALL the factory systems are great !!! When using Ford , GM and Chrysler as a example!! Step away from these three and you might really find a messed up one "like the AMC Version of the BID etc". The problems with the oems was they were all under the EPA mandate for cleaner emissions and longer emissions certifications . Vehicles had to be certified emission wise for 50,000 miles and the contact systems just couldnt do that . Also the air fuel mixtures had to be leaner ( requiring more output ) as well. So the plug gaps were increased ( leaner air fuel mix) and the available voltages were increased.. Now comes the problems in the aftermarket. Each of these factory systems use a very specific total resistance right down to the gauge and strands of cable used etc. When the afternarket gets involved or heaven forbid ( a hot rodder) these resistance values get lost in the translation. Then the parts overhead and fail, and sometimes fail often!!!

This same thinking can be applied to the aftermarket offerings like MSD, Pertronixs, Crane an so on . They all must have the correct parts installed...

And then there are those ( and i guess i am becoming one of those) that just want it simple . No need for ohms law and a degree in electronics etc just use the KISS formula.
    Then we can get back to basics and you know all problems start with a basic malfunction....:D

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep- I've seen four local cases of guys installing a Pertronix, and it quickly went out- but it was improper installation with the wrong coil, a result of not following the directions which are pretty clear about what is needed. Even though they have all been shown in the directions where they went wrong, every one of them still goes around bitching and complaining to anyone who'll listen about that no-good Pertronix that "went out" on them

6. old me

old me
    from Iowa

Never had a points set up leave me stranded. They do require a little maintenance, but with a Ford's dist up front is a piece of cake.I've found the cheapies will cause problems sooner with pitting and burning but what's a few bucks every couple of years?
    I have, however had both Duraspark and HEI lay down on me a number of times. This was when these cars were almost new.Was able to limp home by driving till it shut down, waiting about ten minutes, and it would fire and run for a few more blocks.
    A set of back up points,a condenser and a screwdriver and a small wrench that will fit in a Band-Aid box in the glove box and I have no worries. If your Pertronix or Mallory crap out on you while on the road, what are your options?

Jim

7. studemisfit

studemisfit

I have installed a Pertronix unit in at least three of my cars(70 std beetle,66 f100,62 merc) all were dailys and the first two were the only cars I owned when I had them. Never a problem. Like every one else says I keep the old points step up in the glove box for piece of mind. Oh and I had a mid 80's bronco 2 with the dura spark that used to randomly screw up and the carb would back fire. Once it was so bad it caught fire pretty good(burned up my Social D shirt putting it out. Once I swapped a junk yard control unit it ran flawless for a couple years till I got rid of it.

8. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Totally agree with Bubba! :cool:

9. Having maintained a fleet of several hundred vehicles, dodge, chevy and ford trucks, I found the ford duraspark system to be far inferior to the other 2. I can't count the times I was sent out on a service call for a ford that just shut off...generally they'd restart after cooling for 15 minutes and re-stall because of the duraspark box going bad. Any of us mechanics could swap out one of those in 5 minutes to get the truck back to the shop...I'd always swap out the pickup coil in the distributor while I had the truck in the shop and it helped make the spark box last longer...we cussed the ford duraspark system until they went to a self contained system...
    Very seldom did we have problems with the HEI although we occasionally had a module go bad...in fact I had two of my own cars fry GM Modules. Occasionally we had a MoPar pickup coil go bad but they usually gave us coil problems.
    I wouldn't have a ford duraspark system on any car of mine. I'd slide a pertronix into the 67 distributor and carry a spare module. The rules says if you keep a spare module with you, you'll never need one. If you don't, count on burning out a module...it's just the way it is.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bubba as I attempted to say previously I like your setups. Modified housing to fit specific applicatons that use all regular off the shelf replacement pieces. And each of those pieces was chosen for it's reliability. Worst case senario with your units is that someone that had one would have to get you on the phone and have you tell the mechanic or parts guy exactly what part number of piece he needs. That means a lot to the guys and gals who really do put a lot of crosscountry miles on their cars.

I am also a firm believer in the keep it simple theory and plan. I've always wanted the systems on my vehicles to be somewhat standard and plain by comparison and comprised of readily available parts.

11. the-rodster

the-rodster

The HEI in my daily failed last week.......

after 210,000 miles :)

new ignition module, back on the road.

Rich