Register now to get rid of these ads!

most reliable carb setup for mild 283??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Apr 28, 2011.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hey guys, I've got a mildly built 283 in my 32. I was planning on running 3 97's on it but i've already got 2 of em on the flatty in my 28 and decided with the ethanol gas I'd be spending ALL my time rebuilding 97's if I did!

Anyway, I decided to go with the standard single 4 on an edelbrock C4b intake. the motor is a 65 283 bored 30 over with camel hump heads and supposedly 2" valves. it had a huge solid lifter cam in it when it ran for a time as a drag motor which was replaced with an 80's "RV cam" which I'm guessing is just a mild performance cam?? it's hydraulic with roller rockers. Supposedly has 8k miles on it since it was rebuilt (hasn't run since the cam swap as far as I know) i'm putting a mallory double life dizzy on it and most likely an msd box. it will be running gm ram's horn manifolds.

my question is what size would be my best bet for a carb?? I'm not looking for the most power but a good reliable setup that won't cause issues with this crap ethanol gas. I was thinking of going with a 500cfm edelbrock afb clone but have still heard of people having issues with ethanol on these. Is there a good solution that won't require me putting a rebuild kit in the carb every spring?? Does 500cfm sound about right??

2. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Holley 80457

3. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

That's a good carb. I've had problems with the transfer tube o'rings leaking from the E85 gas. I would go on mcmaster carr and get viton o'rings.

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I have a very similar 283 set up running an Edelbrock 550 carb on an Edelbrock Performer intake w/Ram Horns.....can't vouch for the ethanol problem, but it runs and "scats" very well.... a real pleasure to drive...
    Good luck,

5. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

My 2 cents is on a new 500 cfm edelbrock. It is NOT to small (cfm) for a 283 and a lot easier to deal with. 15% Ethenal doesn't seem to bother it but I'd stay away from E85 BILL RINALDI

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

is it pretty much plug and play for a 283?? I'm wondering if an RV cam most likely designed for a 350 translates to a hotter cam when installed in a 283. I HATE that I'm running a sbc and know that I won't want to bother F-ing with the carb tuning it. I'll pull the bitch and bolt in another flatty if it comes to tinkering. (please give me an excuse :D)

BTW, we only have 10% ethanol up here but it's still a pain! Nothing like when I ran alchy injected midgets but.....

7. Ole don

Ole don

I ran a 500 Edelbrock for several years on 10% ethanol fuel with no problems. The smaller carb on a smaller engine gives great throttle response at the RPM where you drive the car. I highly recomend it. Thats a lot of money to spend on ignition. Send a stock dizzy to GMC Bubba for a custom curve and a Pertronix conversion.

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

my ole man put a 600cfm edelbrock with matching performer manifold on a 302/c4 sbf back 10-15 years ago and it ran GREAT but that was before the ethanol gas. I generally use stabil and fog with marvel mystery oil every fall in my flatty with 97's and it helps a lot with ethanol issues.

I don't want to overcarb this motor. I figure the smaller the carb I can get away with the better it will run. I don't care if it runs out of snot on top, It's in front of all early ford drivetrain so choking it down a bit on power doesn't bother me, it saves me money!

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I think I've got $25 in the ignition. I found an NOS double life dizzy for $25 at a swap a few years ago and I have a couple good msd 6al boxes lying around from when I raced midgets. those things made a HUGE difference in the way the midget motors ran on restarts!

I still might send the dizzy out to bubba though. check the curve and the condensor (don't even know if I need that with the msd??), set the points etc.

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

another consideration I have is era. the afb came out in the mid-late 50's and the holley came out in the mid-late 60's correct?? my car is circa 1960.

11. carbking

carbking

Both the Carter AFB and the Holley 4150 hit the streets in 1957.

For most reliable I would suggest either the Carter WCFB or the Rochester 4GC that were original equipment for the 283.

Both have zinc alloy bowls (like the Holley). While susceptible over time if the original chromate finish has been removed, zinc alloy is less susceptible to ethanol than the aluminum of the AFB.

Both the WCFB and the 4GC came with leather accelerator pumps. The leather is totally impervious to ethanol in any mixture.

And both ran pretty good!

Jon.

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

thanks for the info jon! I would love to get a wcfb on this bad boy! (not a fan of the 4gc for no particular reason besides aesthetics :rolleyes:)

I always thought the ethanol dried out the leather?? plus they are expensive, hard to find and need a rebuild etc.

13. carbking

carbking

I think Holley started the neopreme pump craze about 1954 when they started making pumps for the 2140 and 4000 with replacable neopreme cups, so they could make much less expensive repair kits.

Rochester went to neopreme pumps about 1962, as the neopreme pumps were about 20 times cheaper to make than leather.

Carter didn't go to neopreme until the late 1970's when they were struggling to survive emissions and the neopreme was about 20 times cheaper.

Stromberg NEVER went to neopreme.

The compelling reason to use neopreme pumps was always cost, never performance.

Jon.

14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Jon, do you sell any rebuilt wcfb or AFB carbs?? I've actually got a 4gc off of a 54 olds 98 sitting in my cellar, any thoughts on rebuilding it??

15. rusty bill

rusty bill

What about the stock dual fours?

16. carbking

carbking

First, my posts on this forum are NOT intended to advertise my product. They are intended as professional advice (of course others will differ in opinion). Some will even tell you the free advice is worth less than you paid for it!!!;)

We are sold out of Chevrolet WCFB carbs and rebuilt 4-GC Chevrolet carbs.

DO NOT take a 4-GC from an Olds and put on your 283. Be patient, check our website for the PROPER carb numbers, and then look around for the proper carb.

The 1959 and newer WCFB or 4-GC are less expensive than the 1955-1958, easier to locate, and an updated design.

The most expensive carburetor you will ever buy, is the WRONG one given free that you attempt to modify!

Jon.

17. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I might as well start building a flathead! those factory dual four setups are big money! plus i think they are way overkill for this engine. I'd need to run a hotter cam, better exhaust etc.

want to keep it simple, it's just a sbc after all ;)

18. dragwillys

dragwillys

ho bout 2 2gc 2 barrels im running them on my 32 vintage speed has them

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

not taken as such, but I do NOT feel like messing with carbs, and want to get something that will bolt on and WORK. seems to me my best bet would be the new holley or edelbrock for that??

20. bgaro

bgaro

not sure if even a brand new carb will be safe for crappy fuel. i think an edelbrock 500cfm will be good for your application tho. sta-bil now makes a additive to keep ethanol from seperating when it sits to long, i dont know if its anygood or not, i just saw it advertised.

21. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

390 cfm 4v or a 350 cfm stock 2 barrel. Both would be plenty adequate with a daily driver. The old rule I knew was 1.5 X expected hp.

200hp X 1.5 = 300 cfm

I saw a 390 holley in the paper for $75, and stock carbs could be had for whatever you want to spend. If you intend to run alcohol you have to replace the original rubber in the carb (needles, seals, gaskets) with harder rubber. I think you can buy kits for more popular carbs.

An RV cam is a torque, super smooth idle, daily driver kinda cam.

No reason to buy a new carb, EVER. Rebuild kits are usually very inexpensive. When you get into it, carbs are pretty simple to rebuild. Be patient, maybe take pictures, and an exploded view of the carb can be a blessing.

Adam

22. 52Poncho

52Poncho

500 cfm Edelbrock

23. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've been running a 500 cfm Edelbrock on my stock '65 283 & it's been great...great throttle response. I did have to use a fuel pressure regulator, however. These carbs only run on low pressure, so count on getting one (and not a cheapie...I have an Edelbrock on my setup). I've had no apparent ethynol issues.

24. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that's a good point on the fuel pressure, I will be running an electric pump as I am using a hurst mount the blocks the mechanical fuel pump from use.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll have to admit that I have been a hard core Holley guy for the past 40 years but six months ago I put an Edelbrock carb on my daily drive 350 and outside of still needing a bit of a metering rod change it has worked flawlessly. No cranking until the battey almost gives out on cold mornings and instant starts when it's hot.

I'd vote for the Edelbrock of the right size and an Hei based ignition and drive and grin from then on out.

27. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

alright, so we have plenty of votes for the 500cfm edelbrock.

lets narrow this down. I've never run a carb with electric choke, should I start now?? what is required for electric choke?? do they just need power or is there a temp sensor??

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Just power on the electric choke....do it...you will love it !! JMHO

29. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Nothing wrong with a Holley, just think an Edelbrock (Carter) is a simpler carb. I run a 4160 600cfm 1850 on my small block. Have had no problems with the new fuels. The new Holley carb kits work with alcohol in the new fuels.

Electric choke yes.

30. Abomination

Abomination

I'm partial to the 4G, myself. That might do ya pretty well, actually!

~Jason