Register now to get rid of these ads!

jamco suspension good or bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shitbox2, Nov 25, 2006.

1. shitbox2

shitbox2

i plan on lowering my car and really didnt want to bag it quite yet any body deal with these guys . if u had used there product could u show me a pic of ur car and tell me the drop that u put on it . thanks

box2

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

I have their disc brake and ball joint conversion kit on my 50. Three inch drop in front and rear. Also their super cruise sway bar. The stuff isn't cheap but it sure goes on easy and customer service has been great for me. I can't post pictures here (just can't seem to figure it out yet) but, if you PM me with an e-mail I can send you some pictures.

3. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

I just got their 4" drop leaf springs to replace the old worn stockers. I am also using 2" lowering blocks. The improvement in ride quality was outsanding. No more rub, and cornering and acceleration are way better. The only drag was whoever makes them for him shipped 'em too soon and all the paint was peeling off, so I had to repaint them. I would still say Jamco Good! yvette & lincoln to redding.jpg

4. shitbox2

shitbox2

i thought they only sold 1 to and 3 inch lowering leafs and springs

5. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

I guess it's the 3" springs combined with shackles that give an extra inch

6. synthsis

synthsis

I got some poly bushings for my Merc from Jamco. I had to call three or four times before he realized he didn't ship them. I'd like to do a drop setup from them but when it's all said and done it's almost the cost of a front bag setup.

7. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Exactimundo!!!, their way overpriced, and frankly, with all the economical products out there to get your Merc/Ford lower to the ground...I am surprised these guys are still in business.

8. shitbox2

shitbox2

so whats the cheapest products out there to lower them

9. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Let the air out of the tires:D....I bought the Jamco kit for my shoebox a few years ago....Pricey but a good product

10. 3 years ago I installed there Kit on 49 Ford. The customer drove it about 8K mi and in that time it went back to the alignment shop 5 times. All I heard was it cornered like Crap and was all over the road and eat up tires like there was no tomorrow. I can't say what was at fault for sure but I've used the same alignment guy for over 10 years and had no complaints on his work.
    He finally got fed up with it and had a complete front frame clip put on. What ever the problem was it cost me a customer. I didn't like the Kit to begin with, there was no way to correct the Accerman but it wasn't my choice. After doing all I could and with the end result I doubt I'll ever get involved with Jamco again.
    My personal 51 Ford has a Nova clip on it. I love it.
    The Wizzard
    P.S. Does anyone have a stock 51 Ford Ignitoin switch retainer ring I can buy?

11. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Same here. It's real good stuff.

12. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

this topic comes up a lot, i guess because there really is dubious value in the dropped spindle kit they do.
    it accomplishes exactly the same thing as flipping the original spindles, which you can do in a day, for the cost of some oxy acetylene gas, and replaces a lovely forged upright with a welded up series of mild steel tubes.
    AND costs you what, four hundred bucks?
    the only reason this product is on the market is because people think a credit card is the only answer to a high riding car.
    makes no sense to me.
    I flipped my spindles, adjusted the camber and toe, and it steers and goes down the road better than before.
    The jamco ball joint and disc brake kit is probably a good thing, but they again really push what the market will bear in terms of pricing..

13. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Well, my first question to you would be..What is your goal? Are you building a shitbox, lowbuck, might get you to the store, driver? or are you planning on building a showcar..on the ground, bagged, chopped, kustom? The reason I ask this is, there is a large amount of people out there that want the world, but only want to be half way into it. BTW, what do you have anyway?Ford/Merc???

14. holepatcher

holepatcher
    from Tennessee

I have a 50 Ford and want to put a Nova clip under it. From my measurements it appears that I need to narrow it about 3 inches. Is yours narrowed?
    Holepatcher

15. GreggAz

GreggAz

I wish I had good things to say.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  16. saddlebr

saddlebr
    from Tucson, Az

I have a 50 Merc with Jamco suspension front and rear and it's tearing up front tires. I would like to know specifically what was altered in the front end to solve the problem. Thanks

17. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Saddlebr, PM me your info so I can look up your account and contsact you about the alignment problem.

18. BlackjackMerc

BlackjackMerc
    from California

I was thinking about buying the control arms for my 49 merc project. Do I purchase the granada spindles at a junkyard or through jamco? Do I have to use the stock merc steering linkage or granada? And how much is the drop with the jamco control arms?

19. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Both the Ford and Mercurys kits are designed to work with all the original steering parts. The drop in the spindle is about 1.25" from the original spindle & upright configuration. We also have a drop coil up to 3"

20. BlackjackMerc

BlackjackMerc
    from California

Awesome! So can I purchase granada spindles with disc brakes at a junkyard and they will bolt right up?

21. thesupersized

thesupersized

they're rear leaf spring kit worked well in my 1950 ford

just installed their dropped spindles a while ago, and had to drill the steering arm holes out a bit(holes didnt line up with spindle holes) and had to ream out kingpin bushings(they were wayyyy too tight)

all in all the drop spindles went in fine, but after dropping all that cash, it would've been nice for a flawless installation. my brother also had the same exact problems installing his dropped spindles in his 50 ford.

maybe they can fix these issues?

22. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

I bought some motor mounts from them. Didnt have the best customer service of help. The mounts came in almost 2 weeks late from the original ship date and delayed my work at the shop. I tried calling numerous times (which they never answered) and emailed them and never heard back from them..... prob wont buy from them anymore.....

23. plynch

plynch

I have Jamco lowering springs on my 64 Country Sedan, No problems, Nice products, Great customer service. Going to buy a lowering kit for my 63 Cadillac soon. Prices seem reasonable to me

24. Believe I know that car, ended up at Mad Max getting a Fatman clip. Guy was not a happy camper.

25. otis50

otis50

anybody else out there having a problem with jamco. its been three months and the car is still up on blocks.on what i have recieved the packaging looks like a two year old did it and its missing parts to complete the job.they do NOT return calls or emails. is there a trick to find out the statis of your order. ps they had no problem taking your money the minute the bank was open.

26. LostHope

LostHope

27. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

28. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

There service sucks!! The shop I work for ordered a bunch of stuff to redo the front suspension on a 52 chevy and it took them three months of us calling and emailing them everyday till they finally sent everything!! They also sent us a power steering conversion from another company not the one they avertised. I do not recommend them at all!!

29. I hate to seem like I am piling on the bandwagon about bad customer service,but I coughed up a LOt of money to install granada spindles on my Merc only to have the upper mount plates throw the camber out over an inch,called and had sevice after about 12 emails and phone calls,got new plates shipped out free of charge by Jim that didnt fix anything.made both sides uneven and still came with no hardware.Many PM'S later,phone calls ,emails and messages ,I was told Jim would call me back and work it out.Now 5 months have passed,still no answer or callback so I shelled out more money and had a machine shop fab the correct fitting parts FIRST TIME. I will not purchase anything else from Jamco,if I have to do all the homework and trial fitting I will just do that next time and save my money.I was just trying to buy bolt on to save the headaches.I need to buy new rear springs and shocks,Fatman Fab will probably get my money .Too bad ,but lesson learned...

30. Blackjackmerc. Good luck finding Granada spindles in the junkyard. Look for them first before you lay money out. I just had to track some down for my 55 Ford swap. None to be found. Went to a Mustang garage, and had to spend all of the money to get them....