Register now to get rid of these ads!

I've heard of engines being "boat anchors" before, but...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Tudor, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ScottV

ScottV

Used to use a 1 ton brake rotor on my 12 foot boat, stepped up to a 18 wheeler drum on my 16 1/2. I guess that is because brakes is for stoppin' ands thats whats an encore is fur !!! :p

2. Yeah, of course the first thing I thought of, was looking for a Hemi, or maybe a flathead with that Ar-something Hemi conversion kit 8=)
    I guess they are being used as anchors for a buoy line out in the harbor, and probably got pulled out on March 11th, when that Tsunami came though the north coast ( that damned wave killed the harbor where I live, 14 boats sunk, all the moorings and pilings destroyed, we used to have a commercial fishing fleet, and industry, we don't anymore)
    It used to be cool, if I wanted any fresh Dungeness crab, or Salmon, or Albacore, I'd just run down to the docks and see what my buddies brought in, and usually they were only to happy to share. Now there's like 6 boats in the harbor.
    Anyway, thanks for all the educated guesses on the "pedigree" on the anchors...

3. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I guess it's not possible to get a pickup near those or they wouldn't still be sitting there.

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Me too!! :)

5. You can drive right up to them, easily. They are in the parking lot in the Trinidad Harbor.
    I too am surprised the scrappers haven't made off with them....There is, like I said previously, dozens and dozens of those, some just a block and heads, others looked more complete with intake manifolds, valve covers, oil pans still on, etc.

6. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

They could have been sunk with a bouy for mooring a boat in a cove or something like that.

maybe? could be? possible?

7. You beat me to it!

8. I guess if you wanted to try and save one of those, you'd have a lot of money....ummm.. "SUNK" into it...

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Judging from the white buoy balls in the first picture it appears these are the anchors for the mooring buoys which would have been out in the harbor for local fishermen or visiting craft to tie up to and take the dinghy into shore.

10. Thumper

Thumper

LOL.........there is an assload of those anchoring the big marina docks at Lake Lanier....a buddy of mine that had a salvage yard sold them for anchors back then. Big block Fords, Mopars and Chevys and an array of small blocks are deep sixed up there..some even with hi rise intakes and aluminum valve covers........:eek:

11. DMFB

DMFB

The #3 looks an whole lot like a bb pontiac or 500 caddy. May not be, but it is damn near identical.

12. Someone call Povertyflats, I hear he is really into Vintage engines!!!!!!

13. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

"seasoned block"

14. We spent a day and a night there as a teen on family vacation in the 80s. I had so much fun looking at the fleet. My love of the sea kinda came from that trip.

15. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I think you can only use marine engine blocks for moorings ?

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That BBC was previously an inj nitro deal. See that crack in the front main and the rear main is black.:D:cool:

17. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

Do you think with some good machine work we can get the flathead up and running?

BC

18. I'm surprised nobody has said this yet-

That sh*t will buff out"....

19. mickeyc

mickeyc

Those were used as bouey anchors. Most likely for mooring small craft where there are no dockside facilities available, or used as channel
    markers.

20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I've never buffed an engine block before.

21. i live on a lake in PA and every 10 years they drop the water 10 feet to maintenance the dam... and i remember seeing what seemed like an endless amount of ditched blocks...this year they happen to be doing it again and im looking forward to making some good money in scrap!

22. 4woody

4woody

Some boats use blocks as sea anchors. It doesn't hurt your wallet too much if one becomes snagged and the line has to be cut.

23. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

kinda surprised that california, in all its wisdom (tongue very firmly in cheek), even allows them to be used for anything. at one time it would have been oil contaminating the water, and now in a scrap yard it would be salt leaching into the aquafirs.