Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody here from metro Detroit? (west side)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ttdolson, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ttdolson

ttdolson

Hi, I'm lookin to hook up with some hambers from my area. I'm just about done with my truck and I'm looking for some people/places to hang with/at.

I'm from Garden City, which is pretty close to metro airport.

Thom.

2. Oak Park, 696/75 area...

3. ttdolson

ttdolson

I'm located near Warren and Merriman.

4. Fat Hack is in Dearborn, just look for a green rollerskate in front a nudie bar anywhere around there, he'll be the one in the Datsun trucker hat.:D

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Nope, 4t64rd spilled the beans...I'm in Deadborn, a few blocks from the "50's McDonalds" (hot cruisin' spot!) on Telegraph between Michigan and VanBorn. Swing through there on any nice Friday or Saturday night and I'll probably be there!

Look for the Yuppie Crusher pickup...that looks like something out of Ted Nugent's wet dreams!

:eek: :D :cool:

6. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

I'm in Royal Oak. There's a big highway called Woodward near my house. Sometimes, especially in mid-August you can see a lot of cool cars there.

And also there's my VW. But nobody wants to hear about that. Not even my wife.

Though not in your immediate area, there's a good summer Thursdays cruise-in at the Kroger on Dequindre near 12 mile. I hear good things about Pampas Lanes on Van Dyke in Warren on Tuesdays. The A&W in Clawson has one on Thursdays too. Anyone got some others?

I know. All the gold-chainers will be at those gatherings. But it beats hanging out with the tuners or standing around a Toyota dealership or something.

7. chopped

chopped

Telegraph and Schoolcraft, you did say "from" right? Any of you old enough to remember Schoolcraft as a four lane with huge island in center? Great drags from Inkster on out.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

No way!! Hack is way too cool to be from Flint!! All the cool guys are from Detroit! Cept for Fab32...he's from the boonies up north of here.

9. beatnik

beatnik

Hi Thom, I'm in Redford. Fridays there's usually a few of us up at the Sears show at Dix/Toledo and Southfield and then at the Dearborn 50's Mcdonalds on Telegraph by the Hackmiester.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm at Middlebelt and I96.

Tuesday evenings we hang out at the VFW hall on Schoolcraft, just east of Inkster. Wooden deck/patio, BBQ, beer, and around 100 or so cars.

On Wed evenings we hang out at New-5 Auto parts on the corner of 5 Mile and Newburge. It's located at the end of a little strip mall on the northwest corner, behind the gas station. We grill in the parking lot, beer in the fridge. Usually 20-30 cars. Nice friendly bunch.

On Thursdays everyone heads to the American Legion on Newburge just north of Joy. Cars and bikes, 100 or more usually. BBQ and beer.

Friday, the Sears parking lot on the corner of Southfield and Dix in Lincoln Park. Afterwards everyone heads to the 50's MickyD's on Telegraph in Dearborn Hts. Sometimes we leave here and head to Woodward and hang out at the Shell station across from Duggins

Saturday nite folks hang out at MickyD's too or the Bennigan's on Woodward at Square Lake Rd

Sunday afternoon/evening is Baker's in Milford. This is a don't miss event if your around. They get 1000 cars there easily thoughout the late afternoon/ into the evening. Great food, outside patio, BBQ, and beer.

Saturday the 23rd there is a group of us meeting at Tony's resturant at the Birch run exit off I75 for breakfast then onto a hot rod shop in town. Please feel to join us.

11. Damn! You guys have great sounding cruise nights. Although we have decent township sponsored cruises, there are many constraints. No beer, no BBQ, hardly any cruising, Just major "power parking" and the Goldchainers make like they're really doing YOU the favor of coming out. Ouch! :mad:

Joel :confused:

12. Damn Girl, when do you mow the lawn :D

I couldn't afford the gas to go to all those cruise nites.

One a week at the most is more than enough for me anymore.

13. ttdolson

ttdolson

Wow, I didn't realize that there were so many of us around here....

I'll look forward to meeting most of you. I going to finish the distributor work tonight and get my plates on Monday.

This will be the first time in around 30 years that this pickup has seen the road so I'm sure there will be plenty of bugs to work out.

Oh yea, for those of you wondering it's a 1952 Studebaker. Mostly stock with a hopped up flathead 6 cylinder and lowered 5". It's still in half primer/half pait mode right now until I can find the perfect color.....I really like that sun gold color.

Thanks for all of the reply's and info..
    -Thom

14. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Damn I wish I knew about you guys when I was going to Willow Run every two weeks four years ago.

Dawg

15. butch27

butch27

I,m near Ford and Venoy. Wow a lot of us. Saw a red '32 Chevy coupe on Ford rd. and a mean black '33 Ford coupe. I' m working on a T-Bucket,(nostalgia).

16. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I was IN Livonia today, if that counts!

I'm not cool enough to hang in "D-town" for too long... I had to get headed back up to Flint, before Denise got home and ran me outta town !:D

Up this way, there's usually something going on every night of the week too, although none of them are worth a drive up from Garden city!!!:eek:

If it makes you feel any better, I've been to Garden city several times... the guys that did my heads are on Koppernick.

17. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

I forgot about the Shell station across from Duggan's. Winter was so long. Why does it always look like an all Ford party? For God's sake, I saw a Mustang II there the other night! You see a few others, but it always seems very Ford.

The Kroger at Woodward and 13 is pretty good too. Although I think it gets broken up a lot these days. But I saw a couple pseudo Ts and an A there on Sunday. Also saw a 60s Vette almost run into a new Z06. What a storm of fiberglass that would have been. But the disaster was avoided narrowly.

Have heard good things about Bakers from a guy at work. Need to check that out some time.

Aside from this thread, does anyone know a good info source for this kind of crap? If I want to find an autocross or even a ricer gathering around Detroit, I know where to look. But where's the information kiosk for the traditional crowd? Somebody should have a super secret website, shouldn't they? It's called the Motor City, damn it.

Oh, and when there is a gathering, could we please keep the Beach Boys music to a minimum? Now where did I put that poodle skirt?

18. I'm from the Ford Rd. and Telegraph area. My project is still in the garage so I have not been out and about.

19. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Fuck, don't let THAT stop ya!

Come on out to one of these gigs and meet up with some HAMB buds!

Shit, I can practically SEE ya from my house...come on over and lift heavy things for me and I'll work on your ride in return, Dude!!!

20. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I'm in Auburn Hills, My 51 isn't ready yet and I am REAL busy right now putting in a Garage for Lowbuck (my 51:D ). Shit site work for a garage sucks!!! But it will be worth it. Here is a site that lists locations and has links to other shit...
    http://www.cruisin-usa.com/mich.html
    I don't know if Lowbuck will be done this summer so I may need to hitch a ride with some people. Course if I get my parts hauler done I'll drive that thing....

21. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

Excellent link! That's what I've been looking for. That should be enough to keep busy. I'm going to propose to my wife that this is how we spend our retirement years. Of course cars will be illegal by then. We'll go to Segway cruise nights or something.

22. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

That is a nice site and done by a very talented Detroit artist. If you look through the site you will see pictures of Hatch's roadster and my old 32 5W.

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Your alot of fun and a pleasure to hang out with..... your butt is ALWAYS welcome in Big Olds. :cool:

When it warms up a bit, we'll plan an "eastside" VS "westside" HAMB rumble somewhere.:eek: :D

24. Pinball

Pinball
    from lowell, mi

When it warms up a bit, we'll plan an "eastside" VS "westside" HAMB rumble somewhere.:eek: :D[/QUOTE]

is that an eastside vs westside of michigan, or detroit?
    either way should be a fun rumble!

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Was a reference to the metro Detroit area. Woodward Ave "divides" the "eastsiders" from the "westsiders", some in each group act like they need a pass to cross "The Blvd" sometimes.

Meeting up with a bunch of HAMB folks someplace like Bennigans on Woodward on a Saturday nite for dinner, then doing alittle cruzn together and maybe a stop at Duggins for a bit sounds like a good time to me.