Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 olds wagons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by long island vic, Jun 28, 2010.

1. long island vic

long island vic

have a chance on one ,and would like too see some done up nice.....gasser or street rod ..even mild custome....yup need it like a second asshole but ,when you get the fever and the needle is filled with 30 weight what you gunna do ,,,start stacking

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'd like to see photos of the one you are thinking about. It's gotta be pretty rare as I've been to alot of Oldsmobile Nationals and I can't remember seeing any.

3. sololobo

sololobo

I don't think your request will be filled. There were so few of these babys made. I have a buddy in Wahoo, Nebraska, Eddie Rezac, who did exclusively 50 Olds restorations, actually he saved a lot of them. He would just put them together and let the buyer finish to his taste. He only had two wagons that I was aware of. I sold him a 50 Pontiac Flower car (used at funerals to haul flowers to cemetary etc)that he was going to put an olds front end dash etc to make it an Olds, but he sold it as is before he converted it. If you have an opportunity to score one, go for it, should be an excellent investment. As Denise said, about the only time you will see one is at an exclusive Oldsmobile event. Lotta yappin, but thats my story and I am stickin to it. ~Sololobo~

4. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Had a chance to buy one in Houston about six months ago. It was a total rust bucket according to a friend that drove down to see it. They look almost exactly like a Chevy Tin Woody with the Olds front end.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

But that would have been a Pontiac with an Olds front end, not an Olds. Seriously, I don't think they made any. I think if I remember correctly we've talked about it here on the HAMB before.

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Vic didn't mention anything about a woody, he just said wagon.

Reggies does have an Olds Woody Wagon, I can't remember if it's a '49 or early '50.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. I have seen one that sololobos buddy Ed Rezac still has. A very rare bird indeed. He still had when i talked to him last year. He would be more than happy to talk to anyone about 50 oldsmobiles. He has a killer convert he did years ago, 90 percent NOS parts on the trim of it, stunning car.

8. 49oldscoupe

49oldscoupe

The early '49 wagons are woody's and rare. They switched to the tin woodys mid year '49 and for all of '50.

Attached Files:

9. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

10. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Here are pics of one. Top secret location.
    I might even buy it, but not sure if it's savable!

Got these pics from a member here and followed up.

Anyone have more pictures of 'em? Thanks.

Attached Files:

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

2,750 wagons by Oldsmobile in 1950, very low production

12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i also have a 50 olds wagon, well 2 of them. ones nice, the other would be a big project. i have Olds documentation that only 552 model 88 wagons were built. i'd like to start a registry of 50 olds wagon owners. if you've got one or know of one PM me with the info. thanks, mike roman (the junkyard pirate)

13. Turbo442

Turbo442

I love Oldsmobiles, the problem is that alot of the guys who are really into them or actually own them are quite a bit older and don't frequent the internet often from what I have noticed. I wish you the best and I think a registry would be often as 59-50 are some of the best looking Olds.

As to the original post I have only seen restored woodie wagons and very few.

14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I had 2 '50 88s in the '60s. First one was a standard trans ex Hill's Brothers Coffee company car, supposedly used by execs to take guests on hunting/fishing trips. #2 was used by an IGA store for deliveries. I wrote to Oldsmobile in 1968 asking about production numbers - was told there were 426 DeLuxe & 1816 standard ... everything I've read since conflicts that info. Both of mine had cowl tags with 50-3562 (76 series) body style.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  15. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

Look at the 57 or 58 stude champ next to it. Cool....SORRY< I just had to.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. You missed the '58 2dr in front of it too!

17. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

18. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

I thought my car was a rare one, apparently the wagons beat me out. Didnt even know Olds made a 50 wagon, or i guess didn't realize. Did they make a wagon in all the different series? 76, 88, 98?

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

1950 Olds wagon production

Futuramic 76
    wagon 121
    Deluxe wagon 247

Futuramic 88
    wagon 1830
    Deluxe wagon 552

Source: The Encyclopedia of American Cars, 1940-1970 by Richard Langworth and The Editors of Consumer Guide

20. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The woody wagon is a '49. In the back ground you'll see a '50 olds "tin woody" wagon. I stumbled on both rust free cars years ago.

21. 24riverview

24riverview

Photos of 49's and 50's I've collected over the years mostly from different sale sites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one has been in my family since the mid 70's originally bought by my brother, sold to my dad around 1980 and finally given back to my brother.
    Currently waiting for me to reassemble it after a complete repaint.
    Racing it in 1985.
    [​IMG]
    And again in 2003.
    [​IMG]

22. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

Thems is some nice woodys u got there! Haha

23. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

I PMd member "302GMC" after he said on page one that he had 2 of these cars back in the 1960s.

I wondered if he might have pictures. I have a bunch or period shots of 1949-52 GM wagons, so I wanted to buy copies or something.

He was nice enough to scan some (that he took back in 1968-1969), and send them to me so I could post them here and share with others interested...great history.

(((***He had enough interest in the cars even back then that he got a letter from GM about production figures...I will add it here but it won't load right now for some reason**))).

Thanks again.

==============================
    His original post:
    "... I had 2 '50 88s in the '60s. First one was a standard trans ex Hill's Brothers Coffee company car, supposedly used by execs to take guests on hunting/fishing trips. #2 was used by an IGA store for deliveries.
    I wrote to Oldsmobile in 1968 asking about production numbers - was told there were 426 DeLuxe & 1816 standard ... everything I've read since conflicts that info. Both of mine had cowl tags with 50-3562 (76 series) body style. ...".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  24. sololobo

sololobo

Wow, some nice stuff posted on these rare beauties. Thanx folks. ~sololobo~

25. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

Cool thread, didn't know about this model at all.

You learn something everyday....

L.P.

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Savable? The thing looks mint compared to the crap we have around here ,get it already :D

27. Art Graham and Dan Kelly of Behler Olds in Cincinnati drag raced a '50 Olds tin woodie in the late '60's. I saw it get broadsided in a towing accident going from National Trails Raceway in Columbus to Kilkare Dragway late at night (early morning?). Don't know what happened to the car after the accident.

28. 24Riverview,

You have some terrific old iron! I borrowed one of your pictures for a question. Does the steel rod that extends down from the tail light to the body below the hinge cause/assist/push the tail light 90 degrees when the tail gate is open? Looks like the tail light is also hinged to allow this movement.

Thanks,

Oldjeepdog

Attached Files:

• a21.jpg
      a21.jpg
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
  29. Hello oldjeepdog
    Yes, On the real woodies they swing out of the way so it won't impact the bumper when the tail gate is opened and lowered. The steel rods are shown obviously on the outside
    and on the all steel bodies like my '51 the rod is inside the tail gate.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^ the taillights hinge so you can drive with the tailgate down and still have tail lights that point towards the rear of the car rather than down to the ground.