Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine adaptor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt t, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Contacted Wilcap for an adaptor for a bmw V12 to a turbo 400 no such thing. Does anybody know who might make one?
    This is going in my 23T pie wagon.
    lets not get into a pissing match. Just looking for some help.
    Thanks Terry

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

3. I sent them an email.
    Thanks

4. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Seems like it would be easier to use whatever automatic comes behind a BMW V12 from the factory.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

yea it'd be easier to walk... but that wouldn't be hot rodding!! :D

6. striper

striper

No idea but I'd talk to Bob Bendtsen.

7. Is bob here on the HAMB ?
    The origional trans is $500.00 + frt. trans controler 1200.00.
    hopfuly there is an adaptor out there.

8. The trans bmw put behind the v12 is notorious for grenading itself also. I have interest in this! Wouldn't mind seeing some more about it. Do you have a build thread on another forum anywhere?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  9. striper

striper

10. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have adapted a couple of trans. over the years.It is very time consuming but not brain surgery.I have no idea what a BMW looks like on the back though.Remember Gm does not have a starter mount on the trans ,so it is pretty important to have a place on the motor for the starter. Lets see it's nice and warm in kingman in the winter,so if you want I can move in about Thankgiving time and we can work all winter. OK??

11. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

Check out this thread I have on another forum.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1453720
    some guys have made there own adapters for the V12 and posted photos here. There is also the 850CSI 6 speed trans option. THey are kinda hard to find and super expensive when you do but I found one in LA for $1000 I will give you his number if you like.

12. I have contacted Bob we are in negociations...
    does any one else need one mabe a package deal?

13. I have decided to build my own adaptor. The starter bolts to the motor like a chevrolet.
    My thought process is if I make it the same distance from the engine to the flexplate on the BMW that a chevrolet is. How do I center the chevrolet transmission to the BMW crank?I am sure it is not a tape measure measurement.I have a BMW bellhousing to get the bmw side of the adapyor. Any help please chime in.
    Thanks Terry

14. Here is the rear of a v12 engine.

Attached Files:

15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm no machinist, and I don't want to sound rude, but if you can't figure out the centering on your own how can you possibly have the proper skills to build it on your own?

16. dubcee

dubcee

make a plate with the bmw pattern on it and cut out a hole where the hole would be on the bmw bell.Bolt this one to the bmw. Clamp a sbc bell to the plate and center it as close as you possibly can with a tape. remove the spark plugs from the bmw, attach a magnetic base dial indicator to the back of the crank so that the dial button is riding on the bore of the sbc bell. Rotate the bmw 12, 3, 6, 9, o-clock and tap the sbc bell around till the measurements are the same. Center punch the bolt and dowel holes, drill and tap them and TA DAAAA. If this makes no sence, search dialing in a studebaker bell housing it takes the same procedure in principle as they have no alighnment dowels, and I think there is a post with pics.After the adapter is made I would do this again to verify center line and dowel the trans to the adapter if you do have to move it around. I have faith you can do this cuz I AM a machinist and I am probably dumber than you! I hope this helps... Wayne

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are probably going to want to get your hands on one of the B-O-P to Chev adapter plates to use as a pattern at least. That will give you an accurate way to have the bolt pattern of the Tubo 400. Then it is match that to the back of the V12 and figure out how much or little space you need to take up or add in the thickness of the adapter plate you make (have made) for it

Then you have to figure out how you are going to adapt the 400's torque converter to the V-12 flexplate and crankshaft end but that will probably be the easy part of the deal.

It isn't total rocket science but a guy is going to need some good skills and be able to visualize what he is trying to do as he goes about doing it.

DubCee's suggestion is probably the simplest way to get it done on your own.

The crank hole in the standard V8 chev bellhousing would have to be centered on the crank but that can be figured out fairly easily. Once it is centered and locked down the proper size drill bits could be used to mark the spots that you needed to drill to bolt the bellhousing/trans to the plate.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  18. Thomas edison invented the light bulb everyone new you could not machiene tungston. he did not know that. I do not know that I can not do it. It's not rocket since. I am looking for some one to share there experance.I'll figer it out trust me.:rolleyes:

19. Thank you wayne that is what i am looking for.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I have adapted many engines to Chevy patterns. I start with a drilling fixture(also have X-Y dim. off of crank CL as zero)and drill the adapter plate but before I open up the crank flange hole I leave it at 1.00". Then I machine a peice of alu bar stock to the crank journal dim and machine a 1.00" stump on the end. That centers the Chevy pattern to the other engines crank centerline. Then I use "Transfer Screws" and "Transfer Punches" to mark the plate. Drill holes or drill and tap on those marks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  22. Thats the information I was look
    Terry aka dirt ting for THANK YOU for sharing.

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

My point was that you gotta be dead-nuts centered. The guy who knows how to measure it should be the guy to fabricate it as well.