Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Center a 9-inch rear end?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studearch, Apr 25, 2011.

1. I have a 9-inch rear end out of a '57 station wagon that I plan to use on a '29-'34 highboy. Is it essential to narrow one (or both) axle shafts to center the rear end? It looks like it is only about 3/4-inch off center, and if nobody can tell, it would save a few bucks. Or, how much would it typically cost to cut down the axle to center it? Thanks.

2. No it is not essential. Most Ford 9" applications came with the Driveshaft centered in the car, which puts the center section off to one side. Early Bronco's on the other hand had the center section centered in between the springs. Either way works as long as you have driveshaft clearance.

3. greatlakesspeedshop1

greatlakesspeedshop1

I agree with hotroddon, as long as the drive shaft is centered, you should be fine.

4. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

On my non HAMB friendly ride, when I had my 9" narrowed, I did it so the
    center section was centered. Looks better from the rear. The "N" case
    sets the driveshaft off to the passenger side.

5. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I narrowed my 9 inch and had Moser respline the shortened axles. Shipped by UPS on Friday and had it back the following Friday and 110.00 plus shipping. You can shorten one side and use a short axle out of another rear end and the only cost is narrowing the housing. Easy to do your self if you can borrow an alignment kit.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

My 66 Bronco rear end is NON Centered by about an inch toward the right. Ask me how I know. I built a chassis with a driveshaft tunnel centered, and had to widen the rear part to clear the yoke, Doh.

7. ha ha, I did the same thing with my t-bucket, I was like hey who put the body on crooked !

8. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The Bronco has the engine and drivetrain offset about 1-1/2" for transfer case and front driveshaft clearance in the narrow frame, and for engine to front differential clearance.

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I would NOT narrow it ... it is narrow enough and just not be concerned about the look of the rear end. On most cars ... you cannot see it ... :D

I have a stock, non narrowed Bronco rear under my 32 ROADSTER ...
    You cannot hardly see it.

[​IMG]

Save your $$$ and spent it elsewhere ... IMHO.

10. here's my bronco rear as viewed from the rear

[​IMG]

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The driveshaft need not be centered. It is often offset to one side in factory applications.

I wouldn't bother shortening it either, they're already pretty narrow.

12. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

[​IMG]
    Pumpkin ends up being centered from the rear, but the yolk is off to one side of the ring gear. If you center the yolk, the pumpkin from the rear will be offset to the left.

13. Lucky3

Lucky3

It'll work just fine either way.....

14. That's what i was saying - the center is centered - the driveshaft is NOT

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running a 9 inch both cars, no need to "Center the "Punkin'" I agree with Randy (Deuce Roadster).

Attached Files:

16. [​IMG]

I centered the pumking and the drive shaft is to the right in the picture about 1 1/2 offset, seems to work fine. This was a 64 Ford truck rear end I had shortened.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did you pick the '57 wagon rear for the proper era look? If so are all pre 1962 9 inch rears the same, or can some look at a later one and date it as too new for an era built/restored car? :)

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you wanting to center the housing so that it appears centered from the back as The rear ends in Swade41's and Grit's are in the above photos or are you wanting to have the drive shaft run in a straight line from the trans to the rear end? Some guys are anal about the driveshaft running in a straight line but as the guys said above having it off to a slight angle is a normal Ford 9 inch thing and no big deal. To me, If the third member is visible it should be centered under the car.

19. bob308

bob308

the reason the u joint is off set is that is the way ford did it so the needle bearings would trun. gm did it by pointing the pinion down just a few deg. for the same reason.

so if you line up the u joints stright then you should point the pinion down like gm.