Register now to get rid of these ads!

White performance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mgtstumpy, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Has anyone dealt with www.whiteperformance.com in Tennessee? It sells via E-Bay as well. Prior to placing my order I corresponded via E-Mail and telephone to discuss my needs and payments via Pay Pal.

In late 2010 I purchased a roller cam & lifters, stall convertor etc for the SBC in my 46 Olds sedanette, having them freighted to CA for shipping to Australia. Not long after this I rang and spoke to the owners again, ordering a balanced 383 kit; SCAT crank, Probe forged pistons, ProComp rods etc for freight to CA. Delivered price to Australia was $1.2K which included freight from TN to CA and shipping down under.

Anyway due to shipping delays outside my control my order finally arrived and it was only then that I discovered when I delivered the parts to my engine builder (Same day) that the wrong parts had been sent, the order was damaged (Crankshaft) and incomplete (No harmonic balancer). Due to delay it was outside Pay Pal claim period (45 days). :mad: Pay Pal didn't want to know me despite unusual circumstances caused by shipping.

I immediately E-mailed WHITE and requested a response. Over the following weeks WHITE indicated that they would look into it and now I'm back from holidays, NO RESPONSE despite follow up E-Mails in interim. WHITE appears to have no customer focus and apparently won't accept any responsibility for its stuff up since I'm out of the country. Is there any consumer law in Tennessee that I have recourse through?

All I requested was the correct parts (crank, pistons, balancer) to be sent to CA at their expense and that I would again pay for international shipping. I would return the faulty parts at my expense to an Ozzie representative. I'm still stuck with balancing the rotating assembly once I receive the correct parts. I still need a new crank, pistons and a harmonic balancer and am stuck with a damaged crank and pistons that are of no use. I could get the crank done and sell it along with pistons but that's more expense and when you're on a budget, something you can't afford.

Attached Files:

2. 63bigbird

63bigbird

I live about 20 miles from there shop. I copied your post and sent them an email regarding this. I found their email through e-bay. I wanted to let them know that other people can hear about their buisness from other people either bad or good. Good luck

3. daveymac405

daveymac405

I have been buying alot from them over the last three years, only had one issue and the got it corrected quickly.... let us know how this plays out...

4. merc49

merc49
    from illinois

i recently bought a stroker kit from them and had only problems with getting them to return calls.they also sell a lot of chineese crap like unsealable oilpans,and water pumps that you cant get pulleys to go on,and starters.they are just doing what all the other ebay sites are doing,selling crap for 40 bucks cheaper than the name brands.i havent started my engine yet but hope i dont have any balance problems.its a blower motor so hopefully it runs good.as far as getting help you could call the tennesee better business bureau and file a complaint,once that happens they contact white and usually to avoid the publicity and complaint on file status they will fix the problem.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I filed a complaint requesting the correct parts be provided as I don't want a refund. All I want is to assemble the engine and move forward and not apportion blame. Human error happens from time to time and it's not hard to make mistakes, we all make them and if I do, which does happen occasionally, I'm big enough to step up to the plate and admit it.
    Why would I go the trouble of calling and talking beforehand and then order the incorrect parts? :confused: Why would I buy a 350 kit when I already had a good serviceable engine. It would have been easier and more cost effective to install rings, bearings, timing chain and oil pump etc as bore and pistons etc were OK. I could have saved $$$$ this way but that's not what I wanted after discussions with them. If I lived locally I gather this wouldn't be such an issue. We'll see what happens.:confused:

6. SKIP W

SKIP W

mgtstumpy, You ordered a 350 rotating assembly. Below is an exact copy of your order sent to Stacie. You even provided the item number. As far as the rust on the crank, we certainly never sent it to you like that. You had this assembly sent to Los Angles to await a container. The conditions and time this assembly spent from the time we shipped it to LA and when you recieved it were out of our control. The crank looks to have been in a very damp, (wet) enviorment, and rest assured that enviorment was not at our place. We balanced the assembly one or two days before we shipped it, and the crank was not in the least rusty. As a matter of fact all Scat cranks have a thin protective barrier of oil on them. Scat cranks are shipped from overseas and stored in a wharehouse, then shipped to us, and stored, yet never ever have we seen any traces of rust.
    Below is your order in your very own words. This assembly is still listed, and clearly says 350 several times and no mention of 383 is in this add.

This is what you sent Stacie, and you even gave the ebay item number, so we were 100% sure of what you wanted.

Stacie,

Apologies for all the confusion as I’m a little flustered at present as I’m trying to sell my house and like you, have a lot of things on my plate.
    Anyway, Fred’s e-mail bounced back ‘as undeliverable’ so I’ll go with my most recent order confirmation where I cc’d you in. I just need confirmation as to what length pushrods I should purchase, OEM standard length or other to suit that cam and valves I previously purchased. I’m running 1.1:1 ratio rockers.

Order is:-
    • SBC CHEVY 350 STROKER FORGED ROTATING ASSEMBLY +30 FT (E-Bay 350369989080)
    • 1pr SBC copper exhaust gaskets;
    • 2 bolt SBC main stud kit;
    • SBC freeze plug kit
    • 1 x set SBC chrome-moly pushrods; and
    • 1 x set SBC cylinder head stud kit to suit my 1989 Corvette aluminium heads.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  7. SKIP W

SKIP W

merc49, I have just one question for you, if we sell such junk, why in the world did you buy a $900.00 rotating assembly from us. You say we sell oil pans that don't seal, and faulty water pumps, but would that not eat us up in returns, or do you think we don't warrantee such items. Why do you think we have the highest ever score known on ebay motors, 90,000 at 99.9%, this aside from Summit Racing that has 147,000 or more listings. We only have 600 listings. You also say that a complaint to the BBC to avoid publicity is what it's going to take to make us do right. Please do tell me why did you recently spend so much money with us. As for getting a call returned promptly, this I can believe as were in the race build season, and our sales quadruple from the other 8 months of the year. You also say our parts are $40.00 cheaper than the name brand items. Where did you come up with this $40.00 number.
    It's as if your trying to be the great informer of dirty deeds, a sort of hero to all that read your postings. Also may I ask why you think all of our items come from China. Are you sure about that or are you just sprouting nonsence hoping to be the great informer.

8. SKIP, its one thing to come here to the forum and defend yourself, but you also owe the people of the HAMB so respect, and do a intro. Let others get to know you, and then you can start a brawl. I also had bad dealings with your company and your so-called e-bay department, but couldn't lower myself to this nonsense ragging on your company, without you here to defend yourself. Well now your here, so you took my money for items you didnt have in stock-PERIOD and FACT. I too have had a VERY SUCESSFUL RACE SHOP, and now that I'm retired I have sold some remaining items on e-bay. NEVER would I take someones money, when I dont have the item in stock- THATS BAD BUSINESS- PERIOD. You earn your respect on this forum, not come out from nowhere with both barrels blazing, not how its done. I would never have represented my race shop with such a aggressive attitude. I would have discussed the situation like a man, a business man, and seen how things could be worked out, calmly and professionally.

9. SKIP W

SKIP W

You say you would not take someones money without having the product, as if we did this intentionally. I'm sure you were rufunded on the items, but you failed to mention that leaving people to wonder. We sell several thousand items per week, and it is not uncommon to run out of an item now and then.
    So your telling me how to react when someone is saying that I sell junk parts, and is telling many readers such. You are telling that I should act calmly, and professionally, and do an intro. I came here to set the record straight on two very disturbing issues. I really don't need you to tell me how to act like a man. You say let others get to know me, and do this intro thing, then present my defence. That is exactly what a con artist would do. Someone with integrity would not take lightly to such accusations I would think. Integrity is one thing I do have.
    In short I will choose my own way of defence. Please don't tell me how to be a bussiness man anymore.

10. Weasel

Weasel

Having had several smaller transactions that went well, I am afraid I had a difficult experience with Skip last year on an engine that I ordered, I spent months trying to sort it out. In the end Skip made good on some of my expenditure but informed me he was unable to supply what I had ordered as 'we are no longer building these' after I had already purchased and received the cylinder heads which I had polished and ceramic coated for the engine. Somehow I was left with a bad taste in my mouth, as every time I called or e-mailed there was an excuse and this was just a load of hassle and time wasting I did not need. Everybody has problems, but personal and staffing problems should not intrude into business deals and quite frankly, I don't wish to be sucked in to someone's personal or business life when all I did was oder something in good faith, based on the information I was given pre-sale.

I hope this manages to get sorted out and that Skip is on a better footing than he was previously.

11. Jagman

Jagman

So, how will this be resolved? Is the man going to get the crank he needs? Is the one he got fixable? I would expect shipping to almost be as much as the cost of the parts. Aren't there people in Oz who do this? Considering how long the SBC has been made and sold in Oz, I'd think it would be avaialbe locally to him....

Just FYI to anyone considering container shipping, if parts are going overseas they need to be protected either with a good coating of cosmoline or wrapped and sealed in an almost airtight wrapper of some sort - this rust is very common on overseas shipping in containers.

Air freight of course has no such issues, but costs a ton!

12. SKIP W

SKIP W

We did contact the customer, and told him that we would sell him a 383 rotating assembly at cost, and that he could have the 350 crank turned and we would give him a set of ten under bearings. He most certainly would be able to sell a 350 rotating assembly with forged flat top pistons. It is unfortuanate that he selected the wrong assembly but this was not our fault at all. As for the rust, as he said there were shipping delays on his end, and this crank is no doubt sitting around in an enviorement that must have been outright wet. The oily film on the cranks would certainly protect it from any airborne moisture, but it's not enough to protect it if the box becomes soaked.

13. BRAVO- your again proving yourself, your beligerant attitude, and the way you run your scam- I mean business. Your not letting anyone down. Thank you again for proving your exactly the way you have been portrayed. You dont have a clue what integrity even means, you just know how to quarrel. No-one is telling you how to run your business, we have been discussing common courtesy here. There are a couple hundred thousand members listening to your rant, listening to you and how your treating and disrespecting this forum and its members and policy. You have a nice day sir. Your making my day, I assure you. :D

14. SKIP W

SKIP W

You silly old man, please shut up.

15. brad chevy

brad chevy

mgtstumpy has to first have the crank machined,try to sell it then Pay you good money to send him another one that you knowing would be shipped was not packaged worth a shit,(a film of oil).Then you come on here boasting about how good a business man you are.Definitely lost some customers with the way you handle customer relations.Tradition racing is right,you need help.Maybe E-bay will start giving you a good rating on that too.

16. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I have never had any problems ordering parts from Skip White and never had any problems with parts that dont fit, And staff was always friendly. I respect Mr. White for defending himself from stupid customers. "The customer is always right" ? No, I own a business and most of the time the customer is just straight up stupid and you still cant help them.

17. SKIP W

SKIP W

You say this is my fault, you don't know what your talking about. I have shipped hundreds of parts overseas and never had a rust issue. Are you unable to read the original post by this customer, saying he had a shipping delay. This crank sat around in a most likely damp wharehouse in LA waiting until the shipper has a sufficiant amount to justify a container. The shit packaging you claim it to be is a 500lb rated box from Scat that alone weighs approx. 7lbs. The film of oil it's coated with certainly allows the crank to come from overseas, and sit for many months in Scats wharhouse, and up to six months in my wharehouse without an issue. We balance the cranks the day or two after they are sold, and they certainly are not rusty and the oily coating is still evident.
    Your post has a heard mentality to it, as you know nothing of the situation except what you want to believe.

18. SKIP W

SKIP W

SGO, thanks for the support. We have our share of customers that think we have wronged them in some way or the other, but overall we have a huge amount of customers that truly know were out to please them, and work with them. We offered this customer a 383 assembly at our cost, but have not heard back from him. The rust issue is like I have never seen before except for cranks that have been laying around for many years in a damp enviorment. My thought is that this boxed crank was in a very wet situation.

19. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

:eek:

I've bought some smaller items through Skip White's eBay sales and have always been satisfied. If this really is him I can understand him defending himself but regardless of what was said this response was VERY unprofessional bordering on down right childish. Justifed or not if this is in fact Mr. White that made this response he's seen the last of my money.

20. SKIP W

SKIP W

Rudebaker, you may seem to think it's ok for others to talk to me like I'm some sort of trash, and not respond, but I think otherwise. Someone calling your company a scam operation is ok to you, and making other stupid remarks about something he knows nothing about. And just what form of diplomacy would you choose in this situation. Something about calling me a scamer does a number on me, especially on a forum. What do you mean, saying if this realy is him (Skip White), as if your shocked that a business owner would want to defent himself as I have.

21. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

this says a lot about you.

22. lvlynyrd

lvlynyrd
    from Las Vegas

Well, I'm a little confused, looks like according to you he ordered a "350 stroker" assembly. So.... if you sent him a 350 assembly, I think you are as much at fault as he is. I would ASSUME that if I asked for a 350 stroker assembly, it would be understood that I was asking for a STROKER assembly, not a stock bore/stroke 350. If the part number didn't match a stroker assembly, I sure would have clarified his needs before filling the order.

23. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

I have to say that i am very pleased with Skip's stuff. I just bought a small base HEI distributor and plug wires from him. The workmanship of the distributor looks as good or better than alot of others i have seen out there. I also don't understand why some say his stuff is from China or wherever unless you have proof. I will continue doing business with Skip in the future. Just my 2 cents but i have not seen any problems with his stuff.

24. SKIP W

SKIP W

I came to this forum because I was notified by a customer of ours of a an issue with one of our products, and had to set the record straight, but it seams that some forum members for whatever reason seem to think it's ok to make extremely rude remarks to me, yet they think it's not my place to defend, or rather think I should do it in a fashion that they see fit. I really have never encountered this kind of behavior from grown men. If you go to Wall Mart and rant and rave about what a scam operation they have, those in charge are taught to say nothing but, I'm sorry and please understand this and that, but I'm sure if Sam Walden were alive, and you went up to him and said that, he would most likely had some very choice words for you if he was sure he or his company had done nothing wrong to you. Why am I not allowed to express my feelings to those that are bashing me as if I'm some sort of con artist. I don't understand this.

25. SKIP W

SKIP W

There is a core of truth in what you say, and it's possible that he was thrown off by this. The add clearly states that it's a 350 rotating assembly, and if I had been taking his order I might have clarified this, but for the customer to say that we outright sent him the wrong assembly is not true. It is because of the confusion with the terminolagy that I have offered him the 383 assembly for cost, and that's around $200.00 off our already low price we have on it. He certainly can sell the 350 assembly in his country, as we ship many 350 30 over assemblies over there. The flat top pistons are a very popular setup.

26. Weasel

Weasel

I am not sure that this remark is that of a grown man....:rolleyes:

27. lvlynyrd

lvlynyrd
    from Las Vegas

I have to say one thing in Skip's cause, the claim of $40 cheaper and made in China sounds like pure hyperbole from someone that had a chance to bash and took it. Hot rodders stick up for hot rodders, which is why people are quick to blame the vendor. We are all used to vendors giving us the shaft. That still does not excuse random rants and hyperbole. If you have facts about the vendor, share them. Don't sensationalize just because we would ALL like to kick a few vendors. Having said that, I still think the incorrect order was a mutual blame thing. How could anyone expect a "350 stroker assembly" to mean a stock 350? So, we have a bunch of rodders acting badly because they hate vendors, and we have a vendor acting badly because he couldn't handle the vitriol. Hopefully everyone learned something.

28. brad chevy

brad chevy

Well after all Skips rude ass remarks I have learned that if you look at the box it has not been underwater as he suggested and as far as the mentality remark.I have learned that Skip doesn"t have the mental capacity to spell. Skip you said you came on here to resolve an issue with a product and all you have done is rant.Do you actually think the guy is going to buy something else from you?

29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Box looks great for traveling around the world "almost". Crank was probably wiped clean of all shipping grease for balancing and never re greased for re shipping..........................

30. Thats what I was thinking also.

Bought a few items from Mr White and they were all made in China, but I knew that going in just from the price. I got what I paid for, and I didn't pay much.

If I was Mr White I would not use the analogy of comparing my business to Walmart. That alone says "made in China".

How long before this thread is closed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.