Register now to get rid of these ads!

Restore 1962 Vette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belred, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Yes please!!!:):):)

2. belred

belred
    from lynnwood

The owner wanted it restored ....He loves every car in his collection.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  3. Gerrys

Gerrys

Looks like you are doing it the right way. Just hard to beleive a collector would repaint it.

4. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

You are 100% correct. Unfortunately it's all over but the crying.To make it worst people over restore vettes by sanding out all the ripples and waves in the body and filling in the bonding strips to make them smooth.Take it from an X NCRS guy, well I still am just have a different direction now. I'm feeling much better now that I'm a Hamber :D.

5. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

That's what I was thinking.too.

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

It's his car. He's had it for a long time. He can do whatever he wants with it. Plenty of stock '62 vette's to go around.

Regardless, not really hamb material here anyway. However it is a good looking car as far as stock vettes go; nice simple, clean and understated.

7. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Which horse power 327 does it have?

What type of paint will you apply?

8. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Agreed it's his car. but they are only original once, should be left a lone and I would have the same opinion if someone was chopping up an original low milage 32 ford coupe. There are plenty of stock looking restored vettes but not to many low mileage originals. From the pics it looked purty good before. The body looks unhit on the passenger side and you can't easily buy acrylic lacquer any more, which is what the factory sprayed it with. There's no turning back now.

With that said that's why I like hotrods, you can do what you want with them without being judged all the time.

9. 92GTA

92GTA

Nitrocellulose lacquer actually, which you can still get if you look hard enough. You would be surprised how horrible and checked they can be in person and still look really good in pictures, especially a white car. I just hope they seal the glass with polyester primer and not gel coat it so it won't check again.

Just sayin...

10. thaugen

thaugen

As you go along, please tell us each material you use at each point in the process. Fiberglass guys would appreciate it.

Thanks

11. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

Maybe I'm in a foul mood. But it seems lately like there is a whole lot of bitching and complaining on what is otherwise a great website.

1/2 of you are pissed because the original owner is getting HIS car re-painted, thus ruining the originality

the other 1/2 of you are disgusted because he isn't cutting it up and making a gasser out of it

Its a nice car. Its his car, and its his choice as to what he does with it. Maybe, since he's owned it for 50 + years he doesn't give a shit about the market value because he'll never sell the SOB.

AND, you're bitching at the guy nice enough to post pictures of the progress for you all to see. Its not even his choice. I know its a public forum, but I don't recall him asking what would make the car more valuable to YOU.

Quit your bitching!

I think what they're doing is great. Looks like some fine work, and I can't wait to see the finished result.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  12. S.F.

S.F.

well, nice starting point for a gasser. Now hack out the front suspension, put in a straight axle, radius the wheel wells. Sell the engine to a guy who needs it for a model A. Install a 409 with 6 dueces, take the front bumper off and move the front lower valance panel upword to fill the gap where the bumper used to be and mold it together, instal a moon tank.... :D....I work at a Corvette restoration shop, nice work.

13. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

ClayPigeonKiller...I'd have to say that YOU pretty well hit that nail square on the head! DD

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This isn't a restoration forum, this is a restored Corvette, whatever his owner wants doesn't take away from the fact that its glorious patina is gone, whatever life it lived and showed in its wrinkles is gone, it's now a facelifted bimbo.

Regardless, I have nothing in common with someone who owns a car for 50 years and drives it less than 25,000, that's not enjoying it, you might as well hermetically seal it and put it away like Walt Disney's head.

15. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Then why is it a freshly painted car will bring huge dollars at Barrett-Jackson.
    Half you clowns that are complaining are still driving around in primer and you think that's cool.

16. slammed

slammed

Dude that is classic Nads. The car was ruined for the sake of perfection. I ain't BITCHIN'. I am.........Lamenting.......yeah that's the ticket.

17. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

Lets not get the thread closed guys. Belred was cool enough to take pictures for us to see. I'm sure he is proud of his work (I would be, thats a damn cool car) and would like to show it off a bit.

All I'm gonna say is if you posted a build thread (even if it wasn't for your car, but one you helped on) and a bunch of people trashed on it, you'd feel pretty bad. Just because this is the internet doesn't mean we can forget our manners completely.

Hey Nads,

What do you think they're gonna do with his head? :rolleyes: :D :eek:

Adam

18. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Ya know, it's fuckin' pathetic where some of you folks keep your heads. Guys on this forum get blasted for talkin' about the PATINA on their cars, yet here we have lost the "glorious patina". Then there's the folks that get nailed for runnin'-around with anything OTHER THAN perfect paint on their rides. Maybe a select-few of you "holier-than-thou" folks need to form an official committee to approve OR disapprove of how the rest of us dumb-ass, lowly car OWNERS on the HAMB decide to paint our cars. Then, when "The Committee" speaks, there will be no doubt as to whether we're doin' OUR cars right, or wrong. I have bought two brand new Corvettes in my lifetime. Both straight from The General, and both were white. The paint on both of 'em sucked, straight from the factory. Old Vettes never had NICE paint, and it never "aged" well either. The panels and bonding seams were garbage from St. Louis. SOME of ya are talkin' straight out of your collective asses. DD

19. slammed

slammed

Re-reading this entire thread, no where was anyone flaming the re-paint. Points were made. Period.

20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Straight axle!!!!!!!!

21. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

My favorite year of 'Vette Very nice!

22. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

As long as it's not overchopped and painted flat black like so many unfortunate rods on this forum.

23. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

In my High school days, a friend used to drive his 57' Vette (Up North) year round! I told him he was crazy!
    He said..."It's fiberglass, it won't rot!"

24. badshifter

badshifter

So let me get this straight, OP posts pics of a car he's involved with.
    "Hot Rod guys" suddenly become preservationists.
    "Faddists" (my new word) want it to become another gasser (if only jokingly).
    "Your car do want you want guys" suddenly don't want others to "do what they want".
    And then the battle lines are drawn between the sides, and now we're all pissing on each other instead of appreciating that someone took the time to share their project with us. In the mean time, the OP is earning a paycheck and is happy, the vette owner is happy. The vette is happy. Yep, typical HAMB thread.

25. ^yes fiberglass will last forever....and the frame and chrome is also made of indestructable material.....right.....:rolleyes: lol

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I think it's a nice car and I like nice cars. But then again I like old junk cars. Come to think of it I like any old car. I would like to see it when it's done. Thanks for the pics. Lots of work there thats for sure, I've stripped and painted a few of those. Lippy

27. the-rodster

the-rodster

Yes, I do, and fun.

22K in 50 years? that's 440 miles per YEAR.

I put more miles than that on my PRIMERED truck... LAST WEEK !

Rich

28. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

hot rods and customs?

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Good for you.

30. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas