Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ooh, The Horror... My '36 Coupe...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Enbloc, Jul 9, 2009.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Awesome looking!!

2. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

Looks great, and I love the inclusion of your mods and tweaks along the way. I was hesitant about the louvered hood (bonnet) at first, but seeing it on the car I think it looks great, and fits what you're doing with the car.

Now I'm off to read your gas cap mod. I have the same problem with my 50 F-1 on left handers with a full tank. I have a different set up so used a different mod that made things work for me, but I'm always up to learn something new.

Keep at it!

3. Curious of your mod to the F100 fuel filler.

4. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

Without pics handy (they've been lost and I don't have truck or camera handy at the moment)...My venting gas cap would let the gas spill out on left hand turns leaving a sick yellow streak down the cab like a giant dog had peed on it.

To fix it I took some rubber gasket material (purchased for a couple bucks from the hardware store) and cut a rubber ring using the original gasket in the cap as a template. This new gasket made for a tight seal so no gas would leak out.

Obviously though, I needed a vent or I'd run into problems pretty quickly down the road. I took a 2/32 drill bit and drilled a hole at about 1 o'clock on the filler neck just beneath the rim. When you put the gas cap on the rim of the gas cap goes over this hole to prevent debris from getting in (or more likely clogging it up). If any small amount of gas makes it through the hole on a left turn I've never seen any evidence of it. Did this mod about four years ago. No problems, though I'd caution against doing this if you lived in a desert type environment. The vent hole is really small, and covered, so it probably wouldn't let in any more dust than the oem vented cap, but I'd want to play it safe if I were in that kind of area.

5. Now that is a simple way of doing it!

6. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Looks fantastic, wish I could see (and hear) it burble down the street!

7. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Like the louvres Clark.Look forward to seeing it in a nice shiney coat of black!
    Have you thought about trying stiffer shocks to reduce the body roll even further?Don't get me wrong,I've heard nothing but good things about the SoCal Speed Shocks but,mainly on the earlier,lighter Fords.

8. sololobo

sololobo

I hadn't looked at this thread since it's arrival in the U.K. Msn you did a steller job on this baby, it is ass kickin. I am glad you got the orig. bumpers chromed, way cooler than ribbed for your pleasure type. Hope the paint is a finish deal, it is so sweet with just head/tail lights in black. Wonderful man. Thanx for showing this dandy to us. ~sololobo~

9. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

KISS

Keep
    It
    Stupid
    Simple
    ;)

10. Paint, paint, paint! :D

I couldn't stand that horrible yellow primer no more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made progress on the interior.
    Dash is in fully but the biggest improvement has been getting the seat upholstered. No more bare springs and blue carpet tiles!
    The seat was covered by Ric (KFC) the tradtional way and style. All horse hair, no foam. He has done a brilliant job, highly recommended.

[​IMG]

If you cast your minds back you may remember me changing out the original 11" truck clutch and flywheel for one a little lighter, in this case a 10 lbs aluminium flywheel with 9" clutch!
    Maybe I went a touch too far with this combo. :rolleyes:
    While drivable it was hard work.
    With the car stripped for paint this gave me my chance to pull the engine and change the flywheel for a more sensible combo of a stock lightened flywheel and 9".

[​IMG]

Since I've been driving the car its always been fumey. I tried a few things which didn't really help and left it that.
    One thing that I did notice was that the engine had the 59a breather system but didn't have the vent in the bottom sump. Not blocked or removed, the sump hadnever been stamped with one. Weird.
    Reading up on PCV systems I came across a couple of posts by Bruce Lancaster talking about a factory PCV system fitted to the Canadian military trucks from '41, a particular feature being no breather in the sump.
    This was interesting as my engine came from a '42 CMP truck.
    Digging further I managed to find an original manual online that included details of the vent system.

[​IMG]

Wouldn't it be cool to put the original military set-up back. One wanted ad later and Pete at Nordian came to my rescue with both the PCV valve and the oil bath engine breather.
    I placed the PCV valve as close as I could make out to its original location upon the Edelbrock SuperDual and plumbed it into both sides of the inlet.
    Its not as neat as an under inlet setup but it hardly shows sitting under the front carb anyway and works which is most important.

[​IMG]

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

OH DEAR GOD ENBLOC that's awesome!!! The paint now only looks great but it's also a great job man. SLicker then shit!!! I also like the interior choice. Looks classy!!!

Are you planning on putting skirts on this thing because I feel like it's screaming for it!!!

12. That car is gorgeous!

13. Oh my :eek: .....beautiful man....

14. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Great job ..

Love your car, enjoy...

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great looking car and an interesting story. Well done. Looks just right.

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

man that thing is beautiful. wow.

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Oh, wow, Clark, that's incredible!! Amazing job!

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That is GORGEOUS!!!!!

19. Incredible is right. What a great looking car. Love the interior color looks killer against the black. Would love to see it with the hub caps back on.

20. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Wow Clark! This car has come such a long way, nice work! I like all of the tricks you've shown us, the stuff that makes these cars drivable everyday. Now go drive it!

21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Hotter than sex, Enbloc.

22. PDQ36

PDQ36

Clark - that just gets better and better. Love the dash & seat treatment.
    I had that fuel spill problem with my coupe... removed the filler tube & drilled a 3/16" hole in one side about 3" down. Slipped a 'P' shaped rod inside the tube and pushed the 'leg' just out of the hole then welded it there. Refitted the tube with a knotted rag between the new 'P' piece and the cap.... the fuel throws up the tube & is absorbed by the rag (which cannot fall into the tank 'cos of the 'P') when you corner... it drains from the rag when you straighten up.
    This worked perfectly 'till I developed the habit of leaving the rag at the petrol station every time I filled up!

23. bob-o

bob-o

Looks great! Stoked for you :)

24. flat34pu

flat34pu

Clark, Great job on your '36, my little '34 pickup spewed gas untill i got a large washer and ground out the hole to fit the gas pump nozle, then while the filler tube was out, placed the washer in and welded it on two sides.
    no more loss of gas.
    rich

25. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

This car makes me wish I had my 35 to work on right now. Great job and that interior tops it all off great. Your interior is one of the best Ive seen in a 36 in some time. Keep it up.

26. Retroline

Retroline

Outstanding job, it turned out real nice and looks like all that labour payed off.

27. Billet

Billet

Congratulations on getting your car up and running. I can see that you have a lot of time, effort and planning. Looks like a winner. Good luck and enjoy the ride

28. 50's dreams

50's dreams
    from colo spgs

What a fantastic car. Love seeing you beat on it at the track, and not just let it sit in the shop, bad ass and I love it

29. Thanks for the comments.

Its still a rolling project. It needs hubcaps. The flippers should go back on but need straightening and rechroming first.
    I also have a set of '39 caps but these are really plain in comparison.
    The skirts are 50% there. All the mounting bracketry is on the car, just the skirts themselves need finishing and painting.