Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Barn Find, Late 70's Drag Race Video Game

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3onthetree3, Apr 22, 2011.

1. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

i was in hampton beach nh ---8 years old---was jammin gears one the shifting game----some older kids came up and figured i didnt know what i was doin and scoffing at me----i let them give it a whirl---they couldnt even get the gears goin ---nevermind shift fast---i have very fond memories of that game-----as soon as i saw it in this thread i screamed out ''hey thats the game''!--id love to get my hands on one of those for my game room---cool find!!

2. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I am sure those little whippersnappers could kick my ass in all the new video games that you have to press 10 buttons to get the guy to kick or punch, but they go NO CHANCE at Super Shifter! :D

3. budd

budd

i remember stealing money milk from some of the neighbours so i could go play a raceing game at the poolhall, i also remember being marched around by my mom to give the money back and apologize, i think i was twelve, getting busted made me one of the in guys, thats when my troubles really started..lol

4. I collect and restore all kinds of vintage Arcade games. Super cool...

5. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Are you writing us from prison?:confused:

6. budd

budd

no, i wasent smart enough to get into serous trouble just dumb enough for every cop and every judge in town to know me, you get tired of that after awhile...lol

7. heavyc

heavyc

I played the HELL outta that drag race game a Cedar Points arcade when I was a kid! Loved it, Thanks for sparking a lost memory!!!

8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES! Thanks for posting - I have been looking for one, but could not remember the name. I was vertically challenged as a youth, and sat towards the front of the seat - the older guys laughed, but I was fast!

9. Pm HemiRambler, he has been doing a great restoration on one of those exact machines!

10. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

NO KIDDING!!! That is awesome. I am putting them both on a trailer right now and getting ready to get them home. I will try and hook up with him and see if he has any advice. This one looks very complete, I bet it is not too far away from being played!

Thanks again...that is why I love the HAMB...

11. uc4me

uc4me

so when is game night at your house?

12. Conniptor

Conniptor
    from New Jersey

I remember playing that drag race game, after you got in 4th gear, you could shift back to 3rd and keep accelerating as if it was 5th, so we would keep shifting between 3rd and 4th and got like 8 gears and that was the fastest! It was probably broken...

13. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

SUPER SHIFTER CHAMPIONSHIPS 2011...Come on over!!!!

14. ScottV

ScottV

I remember playing both of those in Seaside Heights ... long before the Shituation ever got there (by the way none of those fools are actually from the great state of New Jersey !!!)

I remember most how the nose of the 'Vette would bounce when you banged a shift !!!

15. bad ass!!
    are you going to restore it or keep it as is? neither would be wrong IMHO.

16. 1oldrat

1oldrat

I remember playing that game at the shore,when I was a kid

17. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I am just going to clean it up, getting working good, and use it. Tomorrow I will open her up and see what is inside. It does light up, Im gonna give her a good cleaning and see what happens...

18. Ahhhh... Love is "Grand" and Divorce is "250 Grand" (I found out that this was pretty accurate!):eek:

According to the Tavern owners... after one week they were all broken...!

19. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I opened her up yesterday and looks like some Rats decided to make it home...who can blame them? If you had to choose from a few bales of hay, or a hot rod game????? Everything looks to be there, just trying to get a hold of the schematic for her now.

Attached Files:

20. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Found the schematic, and parts list. Should be here in about a week. Then a small solder iron and a stool...:rolleyes:

21. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

There are very few things that scare me, and wiring is one of em.

Best of luck!!:eek:

22. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

WOW! I grew up in the Nickle Arcade era when Space Invaders & Astroids came on the scene. There were no games like this in any arade I ever visited.

My Dads buddy had a game which looked like a mix of air hockey and foos ball. It had a huge bubble top, several motor cycles on the playing table and a foos ball. The object was to push the foos ball into the goal. Sort of a socker or hockey but with bikes. I've only seen one of thoes.

Great score on the games. I'd love to see video of the thing in operation once you get it fixed up.

23. ciscokid

ciscokid

What A Score!

24. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

To the final resting place? The only way to get the game in the house, was to hoist if up into the attic. Had to take the front window out, get a Lull to the house(luckily I had my best helper), and hoist all the stuff that my chick wont let me have in the living room. We sent up the Drag Racing game, the 1964 Cadillac Couch, and the 1971 Lee Egg Chair, with ottoman. Window back in.

Attached Files:

25. Well there ain't no stopping a man when he wants to do what he's got to do.
    Nice job!

26. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

EDIT: answered my question by reading comprehension....

I searched and found a Super Shifter game semi local to me, but it looks much different and is made by Chicago Coin in lieu of Allied. I like the Allied much better because it looks more like drag racing than the Super Shifter by Chicago Coin.

This one has an Indy Car and Indy graphics everywhere. Everything else is very generic looking compared to the Allied.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  27. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Well, I have been searching for parts every day, so if I come across one I will let you know, maybe you can make a deal.

28. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I got the wiring schematic and parts list for the game today...time to get my tester, tools, and pack a lunch...I am headed to the attic. Im guessing I will need to start with the transformers...here I go.

29. Good luck!