Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is a rust free 1928 RHD model a roadster cowl and doors worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Apr 25, 2011.

1. So basically I went and looked at a rust free 1928 RHD model a roadster cowl and doors. It's very clean and It actually comes with a Sport coupe back half, a ok frame, fenders, hood, windshield and a few other bits. I am basically looking at it for the cowl and doors. They are very clean. But the rest is kinda rough....but still usable. What do you guys think it is worth? I know what I would pay for it, but I don't want to insult the old guy with a low offer. Sometimes him and I don't see eye to eye on prices, but other times his stuff is dirt cheap! He's got a lot of cool things I would like to buy someday so I don't want to piss him off. I'm just trying to get a actually idea of what others have paid so I have some idea of what I am talking about when we talk price tomorrow. thanks

2. AssGasket

AssGasket

I don't know if this matters or not,, but the roadster doors are about 2" shorter in height and 7" shorter in length than a coupe, and the sport coupe quarters are 7" shorter in length compared to the roadster... Awkward fit, unless you are Cotton Hill.....

The roadster stuff can bring a lot of money.... A nice cowl and doors can bring a few hundred a piece..... The windshield and posts are also worth a decent amount if they're not trashed.... However, I'm not sure if the RHD raises or lowers the value of the cowl or not.... Ask an Aussie or a Brit.....

3. 97

It would be relatively rare to find RHD parts in the USA wouldn't it?

Prices I have seen here (NZ) recently are
    NZ $350 for a cowl, tank, door posts and firewall
    NZ$175 each for doors,
    NZ$200 plus for a pair of windscreen posts

here's the killer someone paid NZ$3500 for a back half of a Sport coupe. Quite rough too.
    NZ dollar is about US 80 cents .
    However the sport coupe half was imported from the USA and all of that stuff is hard to find here and freight etc comes into it.

4. AssGasket

AssGasket

Damn near $3000 US for the busted-up ass of a Sport Coupe...?!??!?! Wow.... How many do they want...??? I could work my sack off and retire in a couple years....

All things considered, the prices for the roadster stuff that you have listed don't seem bad at all... I would have thought that NZ, or anywhere other than the country of origin (here) would be paying a lot more than that for Model A stuff....

5. good to know about those sport coupe quarters.

6. alchemy

alchemy

So what's different about the RHD cowl other than a different notch in the bottom of the firewall and the column mount on the wrong side of the gas tank? Nothing, I'd say. And it shouldn't be worth any extra because of that. No RHD restorers around here.

I think Brookville Roadster has hit the stock A market pretty hard. It seems different than 32's, as I don't think the A guys care as much about having "Henry steel". If the parts have any rust or are bent up much, I'd think they are worth less than half what the Brookville catalog lists them for. Maybe $600-800 for good/complete doors and cowl, and another couple hundred for the windshield stuff.

7. AssGasket

AssGasket

Build it RHD and use it to deliver mail......

8. Dang...is there an Anti RHD vibe i'm feeling here??? I think a hiboy with the steering wheel on the other side would be cool...not cookie cutter anyway !! jmo

9. But then again...I'm a newbie and just learning the ways, so disregard my comments, but if I could hire on delivering the mail in a roadster...i'm signin up...

10. I dont think theres an anti right hand drive thing, just questions on price.
    Ive said it before, history tells us that all cars were right hand drive, untill Henry Ford built the first left hook car around 1908, followed a few years later by Cadillac. ;)

Back to the original question, did you get the parts, or pass on them?

11. No, I decided I wanted a complete body.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Are they still availible? I have a pair of roadster quarters and D-lid, and wouldnt mind a RHD project? What kind of coin does the guy want? big, small or normal??

I'm very interested

13. So a rolling orig chassis, rhd, with a roadster/phaeton cowl,windshield,front fenders,radiator,grill shell,headlights and bar, Motor,tranny...well everything except the doors on back...did I do good @ my $860.00 price I got it for ?? Any and all comments welcome...Thanks
    And Thanks to all for your patience dealing with me as I am a newcomer to Model A's,so any advice is more than welcomed...

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is that a factory RHD or a conversion? I'd think the RHD would have a different gas tank as well as other features. Are the doors normal with steel inner panels or is the a wood framework? I'm thinking of a $500.00 offer without a photo, maybe up to $750.00 if really nice.