Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Rich1028

Rich1028

thanks for updating us with the pics.
    happy easter!!

2. Ebert

Ebert

Rusty,

Like others on here, I have no idea why I did not see your threads before today....and I HAD to read it ALL tonight. What an awesome story...for those of us who have been trying to find our Dad's cars (little alone have one!!!), your story with your Dad and son is incredible and quite heart warming. I hope your Dad is doing better and I would LOVE to see his face when he sees the Bad Banana!!! GREAT kudos to you and your incredible talent! God Bless!
    Eric

3. easttown

easttown

Your story and pictures are awesome,and you are blessed to still have a dad, mine is gone along time. Now, my own kids are adults,and I still have my cars from my youth,but they have no interest in them,if it isn't a import,it doesn't interest them...pity..oh well,my wife will have an epic garage sale when I'm gone...

4. pregrid

pregrid

5. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Ok... these are the last of the old pics that I have. These are mostly from 1975 and 1976. The last 3 are not dated and are sometime after that. This is what the car will most resemble when it is done.

Some on here have commented that "you need to take the car back to 1968" or "put the old steelies back on it". I don't agree. As you can see this car has evolved as a race car from 1964 and I am here to tell you, it isn't done yet!. Remember, this car almost went to the junkyard in 1964 and my dad saved it for $50!! :eek:

No reason to go backwards when it can pick up where it left off. My vision was to just bring it into the present without erasing too much of the past. I tried hard to do that. It isn't being "restored" like some old relic, it is being "resurrected" to pick up where it left off.

I think you will start to see the resemblence in these last pictures and the pic in my avatar is the latest version that I have. From here on out, there will only be current pics (unless someone else digs some up that I don't have ;))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white paper in the window was actually a for sale sign. No takers so he kept it. I think he wanted $1995.00 minus the engine and trans... :D

These are the wheels that are on it now. However, dad reversed them later to tuck them under the car without narrowing the rear. That is how they are now and in the pic in my avatar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally sold the '68 truck and built this one from an old railroad truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yea.. That's me in the crocheted "Iron City" beer can hat. What a dork..and I needed a haircut :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  6. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

You know how many people in Pittsburgh that would kill for that hat:D I understand your thought on the style of the car, the one thing is if you ever find steel wheels its just a bolt on thing and you can switch them around anytime you want to. With all the history you have on the car its nice to have options.

Jon

7. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Pictures are worth a thousand words...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ha Ha hot damn that's good to see ! Don"t break it lol

9. pregrid

pregrid

I already know the answer to this. How'd THAT feel?

10. lorodz

lorodz

wow congrats ...

11. Ebert

Ebert

Awesome, Rusty!!!!!

12. novabbc

novabbc

This is so great and I am glad your dad is going to be able to see it back in action. When I brought my 55 to the original owners sons shop he said to me, I wish my dad could see the car. The 55 had been sold in 1973 and never seen again by his son until we brought it for him to see. What a thrill it was for him to see his dads car that he hasn't seen since he was 11 years old. Best of luck with your 55!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  13. WOW, thank you for sharing this with us.
    I wish your father, stepson and yourself all the best.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

15. Mac_55

Mac_55

I think i can actually FEEL this picture . Sounds wierd but mannn that raises the hair on my arm . Im giddy like i am in the drivers seat ha ha ha

[​IMG]

16. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Okay Rusty, what road were you on in our little town???? I start mine up in the building to warm it up and I have the police over wanting me to become there new best friend.

Jon

17. ciscokid

ciscokid

Good job. Looks like all your hard work is paying off. Looking forward to seeing that thing in the west coast.

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

This is makes all the ass busting, long hours, bloody knuckles and thin wallet worthwhile. Congrats!

19. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

We aren't done yet. Found a couple minor issues. Probably still a weeks worth of work left before we can even think about making a real pass. However, the weatherman was calling for major rain all week and when it cleared up for a few hours last night, I saw that as a sign. We put fuel in it and backed it out under it's own power in a very long time. Still need to fine tune the idle but it starts and runs 100% better than it did the last time.

There might be some video evidence the police could use to prosecute me if they were so inclined. Ohh... and the witness marks on the road wouldn't help either... ;):D

20. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

you inspire me. i need it!

21. treeserv

treeserv
    from n.j.

Looks like you will be at the gasser reunion at beaver springs!!!! Good job see you there.

22. burnin8

burnin8
    from Manitoba

Wow. I'd have a hard time sleeping until the day i got to test it at the strip if I was you. Beautiful car Rusty. When I hear Gasser, I think of the Bad Banana. My absolute favorite car on the Hamb. I tip my hat to you!

23. Great job! Keep at it.

24. Awesome!

Keep us updated! I can't wait to see it doing wheelies at the track!

Sam

25. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Here is the video that was taken about a week and a half ago. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5jPfWwjys

I can't figure out how to put the picture on here that you click and it plays. You have to go to you tube to see it.

26. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

OMG! The bad banana is AWESOME BAD!!!!

Link works perfectly.

27. violet springs

violet springs

Very Cool, all the hard work you have done is paying off. Time to go have some fun.

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

rock&roll dude

29. pregrid

pregrid

Wow, amazing where you've come. Goose bumps gone yet??

30. What did your dad say ? I bet he is very proud of you.