Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ideas for my trip to Kansas City, Missouri

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinks88, Apr 22, 2011.

1. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

king is cool just wander it is so cool down there!!

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yep, please take your place in line and maybe you might get your order placed in 30-45 minutes! But the wait is worth it, great food, great prices. Try it, you'll like it.

3. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Wanda Jackson was going to 12th street and Vine. Let me know what's there.

4. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Perry used to let us BYOB, we made a whole night out of it a couple times. Be prepared to change clothes after you leave though!

My vote for local BBQ is Jack's Stack, Martin City though...

5. TJratz

TJratz

Hands down the best and only real bbq in town!

6. I must be the only person that likes Rosedale BBQ. Oh well, shorter line for me!

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I'm formerly a local...Winstead's on the Plaza for the best 50's style steakburger in the U.S.

Nelson Adkins art museum is just 2 blocks from there...truly a world class art museum. If nothing else, drive by it and see the magnificent buildings and surrounding grounds when you cruise the Plaza. Best little city in the Midwest! I guarantee you'll love the town no matter what you do.

8. 3kross

3kross
    Alliance Vendor
    from Adrian, MO

If your going down town you have to try Town Topic it's the best bergers in town been there since i think the 40's!!

2121 Broadway Street, Kansas City MO 64108

Attached Files:

9. I second the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, and right next door is the Jazz Museum, which you'll enjoy as much or more. Also, get to Westport and have a drink in the oldest building in town - Kelly's Westport Bar - at the corner of Westport Road and Pennsylvania Avenue. Kit Carson, the James Brothers, pretty much everyone from the 1840s to the present has been in that building.

And if you want to see Harry Truman's post-war DeSoto, go to the Truman Library in Independence.

10. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

Cactus 1 you are not the only one that likes rosedales.

11. CustomDave

CustomDave

I like rosedales a lot too. I ate there for the first time a few months ago, it was fantastic. There are so many good BBQ joints around here its easy to forget some.

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

yes!! might pack so heat too...

13. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

I looked and The Rumblejetts are playing an early show in Westport Saturday night. Good way to get your blood circulating. :cool:
    http://www.rumblejetts.com/

And i'm no BBQ expert, but i've always liked Arthur Bryants also.

14. sinks88

sinks88

We are going to be staying at the Court Yard Country Club Plaza. So it sounds like we are in a good spot....no?

15. We went there last 4th of July vacation, had a good time at the dragstrip, if you like to watch drag racing; Alot of things to do in KC, MO. - also Worlds Of Fun - the KC Zoo
    Kansas City International Raceway "Your Home For NHRA Drag Racing In Missouri" 8201 Noland Road - Kansas City - MO - 64138 Telephone 816.358.6700 - Fax 816.358.7059
    www.kcironline.com

16. It seems like people already nailed the good BBQ in town with Arthur Bryant's and Okie Joes. If you like Mexican food, you should check out the Boulevard and get the best (and cheapest) tacos and burritos in town at Rico's Tacos Lupe. If you want a little fancier food one night, check out the lounge at bluestem.

The River Market at about 6th and Grand has a nice mix of resteraunts and coffee shops, as well as a huge antique mall.

The National WW1 Museum is also in KC, and is a good way to spend an afternoon!

The plaza is good home base to explore from, and a really nice part of town. It's a little uppity as far bars go after dark.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  17. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

yep WW1 museum,and that revolving resturaunt in the sky,SKY'S,crown plaza for shopping with the wife.See if you can hook up with any of them dudes from "LOS PUNK RODS", I know most of them and they are straight shooters and would help you decide and find things to do.

18. I prefer Gates then KC Masterpiece if I can't find a Gates that is open.

Sorry to disagree but I just don't care for Arther Bryants.

This time of year there is a show or cruise going on about every weekend. I am completely out of the show/cruise scene any more but I can find you something if I try.

There is a really good mexican place up the road here in Raytown. But it mostly authentic mexican so if you are after texican food you would be sol.

19. sinks88

sinks88

Is there anything to do on the way thru Iowa?

20. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Nope, unless you like to watch corn grow :p

21. Lots of HAMBers in Iowa. Might post your route and at least you could stop for a visit.

Lots of times when we are traveling we stop for a leg stretch and a visit when we go past someone's place.

22. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Our car was purchased new AT 5835 Troost Ave in Kansas City Missouri in December of 1950. It was the old Jerry Smith Crosstown Motors Chrysler/Plymouth dealership. Our car lived most of its life at 435 West 58th street in Kansas City. It was the residence of Murat Boyle and his wife Claudine Boyle. Take some pics for us if you venture over that way. we will never make it to kansas city :)

23. I really couldn't suggest that anyone not from the area go down there for pics. Mid town just isn't the place to hang out if you don't know your way around.

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

well i know 435 west 58th street is in a well-to do neighborhood :). Dont know anything about troost ave other than the building that was once the car dealership is now a neighborhood housing services and troost ave is known for its tulips.

25. sinks88

sinks88

Ya, as far as hambers to visit, I would love to....we will be going down 35 the whole way!

Also Found out KC Masterpiece is closed :(

26. sololobo

sololobo

Lottsa good suggestions offered so far, if you want a great breakfast, try the Corner Cafe at 39th st. and Swope parkway, do not confuse this with a local chain called Corner Cafe, across the street and a few doors up the street was a hip hardware store turned cool stuff shop also. Always a blast, great food choices. Very hip vintage clothing and furniture store further toward county line on 39th st., The Boomerang. And Retro inferno, is also a great retro, mid-century store on main st. A little something for the lady, try Bob Jones Shoe store which is at 1914 Grand Street a couple of blocks North of Main st, a huge warehouse store of funky shoes right downtown. The new electric light district is also right in this same area which has a plethera of offerings for fun. Have fun and don't miss the beautiful PLaza area. ~sololobo~

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

There is no 39th and Swope Parkway. You're probably thinking of the Corner Restaurant at Westport and Broadway – closed for years. The good news is there are still cool places in that area. One of which being the aforementioned shop of cactus1's wife, bon bon

Retro Inferno is not on Main St. It is at the Corner of Grand and Truman.

Boomerang is now at 39th and Pennsylvania. (Between Broadway and SW Trafficway)

Take your pick of BBQ joints, everyone's favorite is the best.

The Filling Station is a short drive from the Plaza (2980 McGee Trafficway) and has the best coffee around. If you want a full-on breakfast drive a few more blocks to Succotash.

And if you see an old blue F1, DON'T FOLLOW ME. (I live in the bad part of town. :) )

28. sinks88

sinks88

HA, Im pretty used to ghettos, but I'll take your word for it! :)

29. Go to the original Oklahoma Joe's on 41st and Mission. Then go to the nelson atkins...if the weather is nice you can walk around outside and check out the new tree (you will see). Arthor Bryant's is great as well, with more history than all other BBQ joints.

Next run to the WW1 memorial, go to the top for the best view of the city. Grab a drink at Knuckheads or Grinders after that.

Tour Boulevard if you get a chance...get reservations or kiss alot of ass when you walk in (done it!).

Also, if you like beer...parkville is having a brew fest on Saturday! Good times and nice little hole in the wall town.

If you like pizza and beer...go to the Tap Room (connected to Waldo Pizza)...good beers and okay pizza.

Crossroads is fun and worth hopping around.

There is my two cents! If you do any of those, I will probably run into you for sure!

Take care....(Best in KC-Art Museam, BBQ, BLVD Smokestack Series Beer)...

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Stroud's Restaurant. KC is a barbeque town, but if you get tired of it, Stroud's is the best chicken joint around. If you're on the Plaza, you're only 3-4 miles from the south location in Fairway. The north location has a better atmosphere, but is a bit of a drive. Too bad the original place had to be bulldozed, it was the best.

http://www.stroudsrestaurant.com/