Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Roadster hand formed & other projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbuilder, Apr 4, 2011.

1. daddylama

daddylama

beautiful craftsmanship!

i've been wanting to try a shrinking disc... as is, i've always used a torch/water or torch/air... but that's a bit too much at times. plus my gas bills are getting to be a bit much :)

2. carbuilder

carbuilder

metal bender may be this will convince you.
    DSCN5786.JPG

DSCN5822.JPG

DSCN6602.JPG

DSCN6604.JPG

DSCN6605.JPG

DSCN6607.JPG

DSCN6608.JPG

DSCN6648.JPG

DSCN6673.JPG

DSCN6683.JPG

DSCN6686.JPG

DSCN6703.JPG

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Oh to be able to make metal behave like that. At 66 it's a little late to make a profession of it but I still get a kick out of taking a piece of metal ,hammer, shot bag,stretcher/shrinker, and couple of dollys and turn out a fair patch panel now and then.
    Your skill is simply amazing sir and I salute you (while being extremely envious).

Frank

4. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

wow that is art right there! i definitely wish i could do work like that. keep it up

5. carbuilder

carbuilder

The trans cover is done.
    DSCN7203.JPG
    DSCN7204.JPG
    DSCN7205.JPG
    DSCN7206.JPG
    DSCN7208.JPG
    DSCN7213.JPG

Bolted to the floor pan replacement panels.
    DSCN7213.JPG
    DSCN7214.JPG
    DSCN7215.JPG
    DSCN7216.JPG
    More to come next on the body.

Attached Files:

6. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

carbuilder what this country needs are more artists like yourself and less unemployable degreed (neither educated nor skilled)! i owed a '36 club cabriolet for a couple of years and to see you scuplt these panels is incredible. i look forward to future pix. thanx for sharing your skill! larry

7. carbuilder

carbuilder

I managed to get a little time in on the left quarter welding, grinding, hammer dolly & slap work.
    DSCN7230.JPG

DSCN7231.JPG

DSCN7232.JPG

DSCN7233.JPG
    Slow but progress. Starting to think motor & trans combo plus rear suspension type, single spring or parallel leafs.

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

So when do you start on the scratch built 3 window :D ? Nice work !

9. carbuilder

carbuilder

on the 3 window as soon as some one has the funds to have it built.

10. encswsm

encswsm

11. 79shovelhead

79shovelhead

i want one hahaha

12. carbuilder

carbuilder

I was able to put in some time on the Roadster body weld, hammer, slap & dolly work.
    DSCN7251.JPG
    DSCN7252.JPG
    More finessing then DA 80 grit.
    DSCN7259.JPG
    DSCN7260.JPG
    DSCN7261.JPG
    It still need's some more work to get what I want but getting closer.

13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

your work is incredible! what i wouldnt give to stand and watch over your shoulder for a week or two!!!

14. carbuilder

carbuilder

Look what I found today.
    DSCN7273.JPG

DSCN7267.JPG

DSCN7266.JPG

DSCN7265.JPG

DSCN7264.JPG

DSCN7263.JPG

DSCN7262.JPG

DSCN7269.JPG

DSCN7272.JPG
    1929 model A 2dr sedan has been in dry storage since 1948 has not been driven since 1956. It looks almost rust free and original. Very straight on the left side can't tell for sure but the right looks as good. Trying to work a deal. Same owner since 1948.

15. Now THAT survivor is a true barn find; looks as though the mice have spared it, too!
    Good luck with the purchase.

Will give you a call next week to see when you may have some time to massage
    some fenders....

16. carbuilder

carbuilder

Robb Phone is 425 433 0294 Tuesday thru Saturday if I don't answer leave message i will cal you back.

17. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

amazing......

18. el shad

el shad

Keep us posted on the 29. Thats one hellofa find!

**Not that it in anyway overshadowed the rest of your post. Holy shit, Man! UNREAL SKILLS**

19. tbauer

tbauer

Nice work Danny ! How are you going to form the transition of the bead over the fender where it widens to meet the tail pan?

20. carbuilder

carbuilder

Tbauer I was working on the dies for the next 14 inches of the accent section today, then I have to make the contour gage to match. After I get those panels made & tacked in then I will make the last section die's & contour to the rear center of the car. After they are done & the remaining upper panel sections I will work on the wheel well tubs & door jamb areas all being roadster correct look & fit. My ultimate goal is to build a steel buck to build & assemble bodys to I am hoping to build 8 to 10 custom versions of the 36 Roadster from scratch & maybe a couple of 3 window versions over the next few years. Some guys addiction are 32's mine is 36's
    The Rikster & I worked together on coming up with this one & hope to do more in the future just a little eye candy to drool over.:D
    Best side view.jpg

Best rear view.jpg

front shot best one..jpg

21. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Dan,

I totally agree with your addiction. I really liked my 32 5-window but I totally love my 36 5-window even more. It's hard to explain but the 36 just draws me into it in so many different ways.

What are the headlights and tail lights from on that gorgeous 36?

Regards,
    Joe

22. carbuilder

carbuilder

Joe the tail lights will be hand made & the head lights & lenses are 34 Pontiac, I have the lights & scored a set of NOS lenses, they have a real neat refractive pattern. The light buckets are about 4 inches longer then stock 35/36 type & add to the overall flow of the body. The body will be stretched 4 inches & 1 1/2 inch pie cut wedge taken out front to rear center over the rear wheel. Rik & I had a fun time on the design. I gave him several things I had wanted in the rendering then he came up with more suttle changes to make what we think will be a knock out build when done. The dash cluster is a another neat piece I have tucked away. Over all there are over 100 suttle body mods once done, I will show it for the season driving some then after show season it will be a driver I have the Monroe Swap meet this coming weekend 13/15th so I am trying to get some more progress on the body since it was shown last. Then I will build your gutter parts pictures to appear. After that a 1916 & 1921 Ames radiator Shell's So keep watching more hand fab fun stuff to come.

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

That roadster you and Rikster came up with is gonna be a slick piece ! I love the proportions . When you start selling repair or "conversion" body parts are they gonna be stock dimensions or for your custom designed body?

24. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Dan,

I'm keeping my 36 5-window body close to stock, especially since it is a totally flawless, 100% rust free all original body but I would like to tweak it a bit here and there. I almost bought some really nice early Chevy headlights that look a lot like the Pontiac ones but unfortunately I snoozed and they were gone.

I just tacked in the roof filler panel and have the firewall cut to make room for a sweet little 289 motor with a 271 HiPo cam. The chassis was all done with 8" Ford and Mustang-II front end when I bought the roller. Today, I lifted the body to get it ready to shim and bolt down properly. Then I'll remount the trunk lid (rumble to trunk)to get it all ready for the drip rails you are making for me.

I am pumped about this car. I've wanted a 36 coupe for way too long.

Regards,
    Joe

25. carbuilder

carbuilder

Koolkemp the panels I am starting to produce now are stock Ford fit that is where the market is at. My parts are hand formed to as close to original spec as I can get. I am taking the time to make things correct not sorta close & you have to cut adjust & mud a lot. For pattern reference I have here (1) lower body 5 window coupe top is cut off now, it was flipped up side down & drug into a farmers field in Kansas about 1960, I will convert to a correct roadster door's, jams, cowl top ect with a steel structure instead of wood, strong chance that will be the stretched wheel base car unless a customer comes along & wants it a roadster stocker. (#2) I also have a rusty 70,000 mi original roadster in for restoration & patterns for original panel templates then #(3) half coupe & half original roadster again in for restoration & patterns (#4) The hand formed body seen here. So I have the 35/36 5 window top line down & roadster main body very well covered for quality patterns. I am thinking about making for the front fender's, front section replacement panel also.

26. carbuilder

carbuilder

Koolkemp the panels I am starting to produce now are stock Ford fit that is where the market is at. My parts are hand formed to as close to original spec as I can get. I am taking the time to make things correct not sorta close & you have to cut adjust & mud a lot. For pattern reference I have here (1) lower body 5 window coupe top is cut off now, it was flipped up side down & drug into a farmers field in Kansas about 1960, I will convert to a correct roadster door's, jams, cowl top ect with a steel structure instead of wood, strong chance that will be the stretched wheel base car unless a customer comes along & wants it a roadster stocker, custom or rod. (#2) I also have a rusty 70,000 mi original roadster in for restoration & patterns for original panel templates then #(3) half coupe & half original roadster again in for restoration & patterns (#4) The hand formed body seen here. So I have the 35/36 5 window top line down & roadster main body very well covered for quality patterns. I am thinking about making for the front fender's, front section replacement panel also.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  27. carbuilder

carbuilder

Well the body as is, is headed for the Monroe swap meet this weekend for display stop by if you are there.

28. koolkemp

koolkemp

Take som pics of it outside for us please , I need something to drool over this weekend!

29. carbuilder

carbuilder

I wasn't able to get much out side. But when I get it unloaded at the shop from the trailer I will take some out side.
    DSCN7362.JPG

DSCN7363.JPG