Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Coolest Car In Tucson Arizona! RIP Rick.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curly Hand, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Great car but it needs front brakes.

You have every right to risk your life and those stupid enough to ride with you. You do not however have the right to risk my life and the lives of anyone riding with me.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running no front brakes, and endangering other's lives does not make you a man.
    Considering others, and being responsible, does.

Of course, no question that the car is cool.

3. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Actually the car stops really well, that mixed with the fact that the driver is literally an experienced racer, I think it's ok. This would not be true of all cars and drivers, however in this instance I feel, although it is a risk it is an acceptable one.

4. Its a OK car but Sipes has built much cooler stuff over the years...........will look good on the back of his ramp truck.Tucson is full of very cool cars and Rick has always been in the mix of that,And if you need any shirts made or hats Rick is the man to see (Sunset screen printing)..........And yeah Ive considered Rick a friend for quite some time,but I agree on needing the front brakes

5. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Hi Meatball,

Do you have any photos of Sipe's other builds?

6. not that I have already scanned,you shoulda seen his anglia,he might sill have that.....I'll look and check just in case

7. bonesy

bonesy

8. I think it looks great! I do agree brakes are a good thing but to each his own

9. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

Its Arizona, there are bitchin' rides all over the state. Probably more rods and rare cars per capita then any other state in the union. I'm not saying its not a cool car, but it is a flat black 34 Ford with a SBC in it.

As for the brakes, eh whatev. May be scary to some, but what about the guy who would drive his 32 Cadillac V16 3 window coupe all the time. Think its been sold...

Or the guy who drives his 43 VW Beetle, one of like 3 in the world, on the streets (and nobody even notices it haha)

I can imagine driving something that you cannot replace like that on the street could be much more nerve racking.

It aint like the guy is running mechanical brakes on it or something. Drive it right, which I'm sure anyone driving a car without front brakes would do, and it's plenty I'm sure.

I might have come off like I think that car isnt that great, but I don't mean to. Its fuckin rad. I was meaning to make the point that your in ARIZONA kid... you live in the best state to see rare and awsome old cars.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  10. Mike

Mike

I guess Shawn's Anglia is allright, but he really fucked up and somehow put the steering wheel on the wrong side!:D

As for the '34, it's just plain bitchin'. I'd prefer front brakes myself, but I don't see it as a big issue. Most of us here compromise some degree of safety with the old technology and race inspired eqipment that we choose to use in our machines, drum brakes, fruit jar master cylinders, bias ply tires, drag link steering, buggy spring suspension, slicks, etc. We keep our vehicles well maintained, we know our vehicles capabilities and limitations, we pay attention, and drive them accordingly.

I reckon I'd be happier to have the guy in that '34 behind me paying attention in traffic rather than some girl in a brand new Honda texting her bff, some knuckle head in his fast and flatulent boy racer machine adjusting his kickin' sound system, or a soccer mom in an suv checking the GPS for the location of Tae Qwon Do practice while dealing with a load of unruly rug rats.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  11. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

"I reckon I'd be happier to have the guy in that '34 behind me paying attention in traffic rather than some girl in a brand new Honda texting her bff, some knuckle head in his fast and flatulent boy racer machine adjusting his kickin' sound system, or a soccer mom in an suv checking the GPS for the location of Tae Qwon Do practice while dealing with a load of unruly rug rats".

Right on! 100% Right on!

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

13. dgc15

dgc15

Grew up in Tucson in the '50 & 60' eating at the Lucky Bone on North Campbell. Just down the street from Townsend Hobby shop where Frank started building his cars. Sure brings back some memories.We had a lot of cool cars back then. Usually had the upholstery done in Nogales. Bought all of the parts at Leo's Auto supply. Now Don's speed shop. Raced at the "Cut off" out on the Mt Lemon hwy. The drags were at DM air base, saw Red Greth and the Speed Sport run many times. Circle track was out on the hwy to Phoenix. Spent most Saturday nights there during the summer, otherwise cruised up and down Speedway.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yeah, we do have a good scene here in Tucson! Great weather and awesome cars!

15. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

That coupe is totally bitchin. It looks a lot like the 34 that Richcraft.spl here on the hamb built. Sam

Attached Files:

16. Brian W

Brian W

This car is Bitchin!! I drove my F100 to El Paso last weekend right along with Rick. It hasn't been mentioned that this car was built in 30 days and had not seen the road until late into the night the day before making the trip to TX. All of us in the group making the trip took a pool on how far Rick would make it before breaking down. As nice as a little extra cash would be in my pocket, I'm happy to say that Rick was the one taking the pot as he made the entire round trip trouble free! I'm not speaking for Rick when I say this, but it was my understanding that the car was kind of thrown together to make the trip and he has future plans for it. So maybe front brakes are in those plans? But hey, even if they're not I would drive in front of him anytime, after following him through El Paso at 80 MPH on the "I-10 Raceway". That stretch of I 10 through there is a friggin mad house!

To the person who asked if it is a glass car, yes it is. But it is vintage fiberglass. I think Rick mentioned the body was built by a race car body builder in the early 80's.

17. 79shovelhead

79shovelhead

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually the car is probably legal by the laws of the State of Arizona if it stops within 40 ft from 20 mph.
    read down the page a ways.
    http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00952.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Still, if I was a rodder in Arizona and was running down the road with him in that car I would want him in front of me rather than behind me unless I felt my brakes were more suspect than his.
    Hopefully his defensive driving skills are as good as his skills on the track as sooner or later he is going to need them to avoid an accident. Idiots love to pull out in front of cool cars without warning.
    As far as cup holders go, I hope the hell that the haters never look in any rod or custom I own as they all have some sort if cup holder in them and always will and no hater is going to change that just to make him happy. Road miles mean road drinks be they coffee, Pepsi, water or Gator Aid depending on the time of day and the heat of the day. But if you never take your car out of town you probably don't have need for a cup holder or a road beverage.

19. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

x2 :p

20. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Well guys H.A.M.B. member ENFO was tragically killed by some stupid guy driving an ugly "34" Ford with no front brakes. Apparently the driver was trying to remove a cool beverage from a cup holder and did not see the decedent until it was too late. Its a goddamn tragedy is what it is...

Attached Files:

21. Funny!

But no front brakes on the street is still stupid - great staged photo either way, maybe the Highway Patrol can use it for one of those Public Service Announcements.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  22. ENFO

ENFO
    from Tucson AZ

The reports of my death are highly exagerated!!!!!

23. SURF666

SURF666
    from Portland

Crime scene....

24. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Crime Scene....

Poor ENFO... He was so vocal about vehicle safety, and road etiquette. It just seems kind of ironic that his ending would come at the hands of a thirsty driver with no front brakes... This is the problem with Hot Rods. Its all fun and games until someone becomes parched...

DEADBOLT: "The Blood Stains, The Charred Remains, The Poor Bastard Who Blew Out His Brains... Crime Scene...

25. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

You only look like death.....

26. ENFO

ENFO
    from Tucson AZ

Hehehe your funny Matt... Come out to the bone and we"ll settle this mano y mano... ;)

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

French fries at thirty paces...

28. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Here he is, trying to catch up to us!:eek:
    BTW, I agree about I-10 being a mad house!:eek:

Attached Files:

29. 2-TONED

2-TONED

KOOOOL car!!

ill take a cup holder like that where'd he get it?

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

He made it.

He cut two chunks of irrigation tubing, flaired the ends, and capped the other ends