Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Plym build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jan 10, 2011.

1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Here's some photos. you'll prob be able to see some of the spottiness on the roof. oh well. looks like we'll be painting until midnight

0423111706a.jpg

image.jpg

image(2).jpg

image(3).jpg

2. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Just laid down the first coat of clear and i must say i'm beside myself. it looks amazing and i dont want to sound too "girlie" and "sappy" but it took my breath away. There is nothing like seeing all of the fruits of your labor come together into a great looking example of hard work. It certainly is rewarding. The good news is that the chemical reaction issue on the roof sanded out and came out fine with one more round of color and the first round of clear. currently shooting the 2nd round of clear with one more to go. Imust say....ain't bad for our our first time doing this...including our first time painting a car. wahooo. Unfortunately due to Easter being tomorrow the rest of the quarter panels will have to wait for their pampering until next weekend. regardless....this is EXCITING!:D

image(4).jpg

image(5).jpg

image(6).jpg

0423111926b.jpg

3. 51plyrat

51plyrat
    from CT

hey was that 51 plymouth primer black with grey scallops and skirts?

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

and here are some photos with my big camera. we are planning to do the rest of the painting next weekend. then on to some wet sanding and buffing. Happy Easter everyone!

068.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

030.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

5. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

6. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Looking good so far, nice job.

7. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Ol' Blue Betty bam-ba-lam
    Looking good. Like you said it's a very satisfying feeling to see the fruits of your labor.

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thanks very much! we are rather impressed with how her original color came out. Its hard to see just how it will look outside while its in the paint booth but she sure looks nice! maybe todaqy i'll received some cell phone pictures of her outside in the morning sun. bottom line is that we just can't wait to drive the damn thing.

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

and i'll stop bothering everyone once i get to share the photos of her from this morning

betty2.jpg

betty4.jpg

betty5.jpg

betty6.jpg

betty7.jpg

10. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Color looks good outside.

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thanks. couldnt be more excited.

12. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I am really digging that color.

13. good to see your car is coming along, mine is still sitting in the same state.....

14. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thanks we are too :D. Happy that this is almost over...even though we started this whole project after christmas 2010. i'd say we made good progress

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks real good and I'm looking forward to seeing the car put back together. I was thinking about all the work you've been doing while working on my '51 fenders, kinda helps me stay motivated.

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i'm glad we've added some motivation! We're heading back to the shop tonight to prep and paint some doors and quarters. We still have to order some weatherstrip for the doors and trunk lid. Unfortunately the current ventilation in the paint booth isn't up to par so we can only paint parts in batches to prevent overspray issues. Hopefully after tonight we will be one more step closer. My dad is making lowering blocks for her this week. Looks like she'll be dropped 3 inches in the rear. we painted the chasis over the weekend...gloss black. it looks sharp. Right now we're looking at 2 days of wet sanding and buffing before we can even consider driving it. Still have to order tires from Coker too. We're slacking in the "ordering" department but hammer down in the prep and paint areas haha. maybe more pictures to add tonight.

17. csimonds

csimonds

Wowzers, She is lookin fantastic!!!!
    Chuck

18. csimonds

csimonds

Yes, Sir! If it was you I was the one who pulled up beside you in the chevy pickup and commented on your ride!
    Chuck

19. 51plyrat

51plyrat
    from CT

yea it was me and i started a 3 1/2 chop on sat and got it all tacked back up looks great for my first chop been trying to get pics up should b back on the rd next week

20. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

quick update: the hood, a front quarter, trunk lid, and one rear quarter are now in paint and good to go. 4 doors, one front quarter, one rear quarter, and the visor to go!!! after this weekend she'll be ready to see the pavement once again!

21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

22. farmer12

farmer12

That colour looks great. We need more pics!! Keep up the good work.

23. sir_ely

sir_ely

Color is amazing....great job.....can't wait to see it come together a bit more....Is Betty single? LOL hot hot hot

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

yes, actually she is single and currently on the look-out for a roadster or a coupe that needs some love :) Unfortunately we don't have deep pockets so we'll be looking for awhile. Fortunately we know where there is a 30's lincoln business coupe that we are going to attempt to snatch up lol.

Thanks for all the nice and encouraging comments on her. I got the chance to see her outside for the first time and the color really looks great. I'm glad we went that route with her. The stainless windshield trim really looks awsome next to that blue and i cant wait to see the rest of the trim on her. thanks again, all. I will try and get more photos for you; unfortunately there wont be much to look at until we start putting things back on the car :)

Oh yes, we also picked up two vintage 50's gas pumps for 200 bucks yesterday so there is 2 more projects to add to the list. joy.

25. 51plyrat

51plyrat
    from CT

car is looking great. keep up the good wrk!!!

26. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thanks! more parts put in paint yesterday. ran out of clear again. more will be delivered tomorrow. painting the remaining 3 panels to resume on tuesday!! Almost there!!

I can't wait to show you guys the finished project. stoked is an understatement.

27. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

here's a morning photo as we start to peice her back together....

0502110857[1].JPG

28. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

sorry she is a bit dusty right now from sitting around. the clear still isnt completely dry...we laid it on pretty hefty :)

29. csimonds

csimonds

LOOKIN GOOD! I tryed stopping by Saturday afternoon, but nobody was around, I'm sure I will catch up with you guys soon!
    Chuck

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

hmmm. He was there painting!!!