Register now to get rid of these ads!

ATF+Acetone question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 23reotim, Apr 23, 2011.

1. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

so i have read on here about using atf and acetone 50/50 to unstuck engines. when i mix some up, the atf and acetone keep separating. does this matter? is there a trick to keep the two mixed? thanks
    tim

2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Shake it and apply.
    I try to just mix up enough to do the job.
    When I tried to store the mixture they did seperate. Shaking will re-mix them.

Glenn

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

Brake fluid and Acetone is the mix

Some have morfed that to Atf and brake fluid.

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I suspect the ATF by itself would work fine. Kroil is my favorite if I'm in a hurry.

5. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Not. OP has it right.

6. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I've used ATF and Lacquer Thinner to wipe down bare metal. It doesn't separate. Probably works as well as Acetone. Not sure what the purpose of acetone would be aside from the thinning properties.

7. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Tig.

8. ems customer service

ems customer service

9. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

I use acetone and ATF it works great. Only down side in summer here the acetone evaporates pretty quick so I mix it in small batches. Brake fluid wont evaporate, the idea is to thin the ATF to get it in there then the acetone evaps leaving the oil

10. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i wonder if its because the accetone breaks up the gum / varnish and carbon and lets the atf down the the rings and stuck area s im going to try this on a stuck studebaker , almost bought a couple cans of the new seafoam penatrating oil i saw at autozone ,

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

keroscene is all that I use

12. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

Depends on why the engine is stuck, if it's rust ATF ain't going to fix it. In the old days I used to wash everything in gas or kerosene. It's a wonder I never caught fire or burned down my Dad's garage.

13. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

took some digging but if you can find the mag its in the April 2007 issue of Machinist Workshop Magazine (I dont have it this is pinched from the net).
    They arranged a subjective test of all of the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a scientifically rusted environment.
    Penetrant: Average Load:
    none 516 ft lbs
    WD40 238
    PB Blaster 214
    Liquid Wrench 127
    Kano Kroil 106
    ATF-Acetone mix 53

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  14. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

A couple years ago I read the entire posting that started the acetone/ATF mix is better than penetrating oil claims circulating on the internet. Like many things on the internet, the claims are misleading. Whether they realized it or not, what was actually being tested/compared was lubricating properties, not their ability to free rusted fasteners.

But that said, some commercial penetrating oils are just thin oil, or oil thinned with solvent. In a bind I have made my own oil/solvent penetrating mix and it does work. Given enough time and repeated applications I think any of the options suggested in this discussion are to some degree viable. Formulations that are acidic seem to do a better job at freeing rusted fasteners. Many consider Kroil to be the best. If I remember correctly it is slightly acidic.

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i have never used to try to unstick engines. i use as a lube for rusted nuts and bolts. put it in a squirt type oil can and squirt away. as for the stuck engine i think maybe cutting it 25/75 trans fluid but thats just my thinking:rolleyes:

16. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

thanks for the info guys. i tried the atf/acetone cause i was out of ideas. i have used marvel oil, cans and cans of wd-40 and pb blaster. straight vinigar, and every other thing the auto parts store had. i dont have an o/a set for heat. where do you find kroil. i can find it online easy, but do any retail stores sell it? it might be hammer and chisel time soon. thanks.
    tim

17. Normbc9

Normbc9

I use Acetone for many applications. I even clean my spark plugs with it. Stuck lifters? Not a problem. Rings stuck on a piston? Again, not a problem. I even use it to clean up fuel system parts.
    Normbc9

18. Church Key

Church Key

The mechanic at work uses a mix of ATF & Diesel fuel, for penetrating oil. Anybody else try this ?

19. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Just be careful with it on aluminum. Acetone tends to eat it if left on for a long while

We had a customer at the tool store who competed in logger sports. Brought his chainsaw to us trying to find the parts he needed to put it together (custom racing saw).

Apparently the guys usually run their own concoction of a 2-stroke fuel mix with plenty of acetone and toluene mixed in.

He told me that if he didn't drain the saw and run it on conventional 2-stroke mix to flush the system, it would make all the aluminum parts of the fuel system porous after a while.

Shawn

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

a hotrod chain saw...cool flat black with a red bar maybe ...sorry:D

21. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing