Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bigcam

Bigcam
    from York, Pa.

Not to change the subject but---- for those of you who want to get Stahl Headers you need to act now. They will no longer be accepting orders for complete headers after June 1, 2011. Please check their web site for more and accurate details.

2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

AHRA Formula Stocker? Where did he race it? National Speedway? That's the only AHRA track I think of on the east coast.

Pete

3. Nope. New England Dragway.
    They had their own version of Formula Stock, with their own track class records. You could run as far under as you wanted but the next week you had to run off the new record, which was the quickest ET from the week before.(That's a story in itself, for another day)
    It was kind of like today's CIC Competition Eliminator.

Several of those guys from that era are still racing in Div 1 today.
    "Bent rod" , Jimmy Boudreau, Vic Santos, Dave Ribiero..

4. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

I WISH i could afford em!

:cool:

5. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Chuck -- C B and i sorta remember willards car as being blue -- but then you certainly had a closer "perspective" of it from "so close to his taillights"? LOL.
    Willard was a great guy. Gary Glover tells me lots of good stories about him and i did get to meet him when he was running the Smothers Brothers Century Olds. I still know I saw a pic of the car on one of these sites but cant find it!! Someone has to have one? Jimmy Parker --- When did Willard re-locate to Atlanta area from Calif? I saw his entry (SS/LA 65 chev) at one of the National meets listing his town as Atlanta?

6. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

Tweed, I don't have any memories of Willard living in Atlanta but evidently he did. I remember the '65 as being silver in color.

Jimmy

7. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Good one there Mark !!!

Jim Boudreau had a '69 GTO that held the AHRA F-3 (2 bbl) E/SA record and Ribero had a '57 2 door wagon. I met Dave for the 1st time at NORWALK @ 1971, he made the long tow from Massachusetts for an AHRA race there...here's a pic of the wagon from West Salem, OH.
    ..sorry to stray from the Jr Stock topic here, but if you lived in northern ohio back then AHRA was pretty much it. If you wanna get technical, I guess you could call them AHRA jr stockers, since it's before '72....

Hey Chuck...my memory "gets lucky" once in a while....lol...CB

Attached Files:

8. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Jimmy's right, it was silver, somehow light silver/blue was in my memory. It was an "oddball" combo back then, but a great one on paper. With '65 being the 1st year of the 396, turbo 400, and Q-jet all in one with that car. I remember seeing the column shift in it with 12DNRP on the shift indicator plastic, a 1st for the era...it was usually LDNRP, since most Chevy's back then had 'glides in 'em...CB

p.s. ...loved that '65 Chevelle convertible you had back then Jimmy !!! now that one was burgundy...i think....lol...

9. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Jimmy-
    Freddy Caine tells me that Willard lived in Atlanta a year or so around 1974 and then migrated to Florida. Freddy said he moved from the Biscayne to a 65 Chevelle 4-dr 327/250 car and then on to the 65 Nova wagon body with the same drive train. OK -- will concede the color of the Biscayne as silver! Now all we need is for someone to find that pic!!!!

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the info, Mark.

Pete

11. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Oldie but Goodie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200597503690+&viewitem=#v4-35

"1960 Pontiac Catalina 2 door hardtop race car. Silver metalflake paint with clear lacquer overcoat, stock interior, racing gauges, racing wheel. Engine is 1960 Pontiac 389 cu. in.with .030 overbore...etc.

Competed at Raceway Park Englishtown; Flemington Speedway,NJ; Old Bridge Speedway, NJ; Island Speedway, NJ; Islip Speedway, NY; Westhampton Drag Strip, NY; NY National Speedway,NY; Dover Dragstrip, NY; Lebanon Valley Speedway, NY. Set National Record for UHRA at National Speedway, NY, Class GA-1, E.T. 13.40 on August 14, 1971. Car is lettered and Win stickered as of the last time it competed, approx. 1971, and is the original Road Runner named racing car on the East Coast. Name goes with the car. Car is being sold on behalf of original Owner/Driver, who is now retired from racing. Has valid NJ title and last registration.

This car has been stored in indoor garage for last 40 years, only outside on blocks for last six months. Never wrecked, body straight and rust free."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talk about a time capsule, huh? Any of you longtime racers/fans remember this car?

Does J. Eleazer ring a bell?

Pete

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  12. Dog427435

Dog427435

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

And COOL!

Pete :)

14. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Wow and double WOW! Stuff like this just doesn't pop very often. Notice the 2x4 intake!!! What class would that put it in???

15. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Based on the modern NHRA Classification Guide, it would have to be Modified Production. There are no variations of the 389 for 1960 that are listed with 2x4 induction. There are a couple of tri-power combinations but that's as good as it got.

16. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

GREAT find Pete !!! Thanks for posting !!!...damn complicated AHRA slack stocker rules...LOL...see the "hit count" on this auction ??? OVER 10,000 what does THAT tell ya !!!...CB

17. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

It sez COOL! :) Glad you liked it.

I described this car to a friend of mine over the phone tonight and he told me that Ralph's Garage in Plainfield, NJ (on the front fenders) was Ralph Truppi before Truppi-Kling Competition. Is he right?

Pete

18. Ralph Eleazer was the mechanic, and I thought the driver too. He had a shop in northern NJ . I met him through John mason in about 1969.
    I had him build a Hydramatic for the 63 Pontiac I was racing at the time.
    Nice guy as I recall,... treated me well.

19. This picture is traditional to me...sorry, but I was not around for the the 1940's-1960's! RADD!

20. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

That poncho is SWEET! what a find!

21. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Sold for 30K

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  22. bob shirley

bob shirley

the coolest pontiac in jersey was the "owl", ed pomaroy from around trenton.
    60 hardtop with a big gear ,good driver,ran island alot

23. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Not all Jr Stockers were on the East or West coast...lol...here's one you'll likely not find anywhere else. Billy Holt's Holt Brothers '57 Chevrolet from Speed Specialties Co. in Cleveland, Ohio.
    Taken at Dragway 42, West Salem, Ohio in 1964. D42 was NHRA sanctioned at the time, even had NHRA regional championships held there.Then they went to NASCAR sanctioning from 65 thru 67. Then became AHRA from then on...I can't help but think NHRA really dropped the ball back then not picking up more tracks in Northern Ohio. My recollection is the track owners weren't too happy with NHRA's demands for them to have to go thru to become a sanctioned track. ...CB

Attached Files:

24. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Chuck is correct.....The only 2x4 Pontiac's were the SD 421 in 1962 and one in 1956 I believe as well

1960 was a 389 with 3x2's......Mckeller solid cams were dealer installed or over the counter options and at one time were legal.....eventually became illegal as a non assembly line option.......Trans could be a 4 speed or a hydramatic but I don't recall waht trans was original.....the "slim jims" were used back then and they did not have a good reputation.....

25. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

They also used Super Duty (NASCAR) heads with the smaller valves than the mid year 61's and 62 421's used with no heat riser in the casting. An Alum. and a cast iron 3X2 intake was avaliable in 1960. The 60 Pontiac was VERY heavy (over 4000 lbs). I have the engine specs in an old NHRA spec book that I kept. The 61's used a 421 with 2X4's in the "Optional S/S" class at Indy (late in the year) in 61 (Hayden Proffit had one) to run against the dual quad service package made avaliable to Strickler and Nicholson in their 61 409 Chebbies before the dual quads were production available in 62 on the 409's. A neighbor of mine ran a 60 Star Chief with the 389 SD in C/SA back in 1964-65 and used the "slim jim" 3 speed hydro with the alum intake. I hope this isnt to confusing.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  26. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

As I recall, Ronnie Broadhead of Porterville, California, did very well with his '60 Pontiac in C/S during the mid-60s.

27. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Yepper....and on the east coast we had 2 guys named Dick Hill from Penn. and Gene Calhoon from Va. who ran the same combo. I believe Ronnie Broadhead was good friends with Butch Leal and Butch won a points race and class at the Spring Nationals ??? with Ronnies Pontiac at one time. Those were neat cars. Thanks for bringing up that name. It jogged my old memory.

28. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Terry, Ronnie and Butch are cousins

29. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Ok....Thanks...I did not know that. I wished we could go back to those days. So much has changed. Some good and some not so good.

30. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Me neither.

You, me, and a good percentage of the H.A.M.B. gang. :)

More not so good than good.

Pete