Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reproduce a decal???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoneSpar, Apr 23, 2011.

1. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

I have a 1955 Roof rack for my 56 Wagon. It is the wood and aluminum, suction cup style. Anyway, my wood is bad and is being replaced. Problem is their is a sticker on the wood and I want to replace it, but it is no longer made. I have a photo of the original sticker. Does anyone know the best way to reproduce it from the Photo???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I wanted to know this too

3. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

I have the great shot of the decal but am unsure how to go about reproducing it.

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That's considered bad wood?

5. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

No!! This photo is from a friends Rack that is the same model and make as mine. My decals are there but barely able to read. I had him take the photo of his so I can try to reproduce it. I wish my wood looked like this!!!!

6. 31Hudson

31Hudson

Any sign shop should be able to reproduce the decal in vinyl. You may have to give measurements to get the correct size. Cost should be reasonable as it is not that big.

7. I'm sure someone with some good photochop skills could reproduce it and transfer it to some sort of decal media.

8. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

OK, I will give that a try!!!! Thanks!!!!

9. renrob5000

renrob5000

I bought an ink jet decal paper and made some a few years ago...

10. ^ there ya go!

11. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

WOW, that makes sense!!!! Thanks!!!!!

12. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

13. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

There is *inside* and *outside* water slide decal paper that you can buy and print with your computer inkjet printer.......I have done quite a few of these and they come out very well.......there is also *sticker* type paper if that's all you need.......

Search the internet for details.........not that hard....

CB

14. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Are there any problems with fading? I know that my printer ink fades pretty quick!:(

15. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

This was my concern....most stuff with inkjet ink fades...it's nothing like original heavy body inks....I would imagine if you print a decal for your daily it'll fade in a month or two

16. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

QUIT TRYING TO TAKE MY QUESTION KEVIN!!!:mad::p

Shouldn't you be in a hyper-baric(sp?) chamber.......healing?;)

17. lolife

lolife

That's a pretty simple design, and most anyone can do it. I use these guys for a lot of vinyl sticker designs.

Lettering Express

Take a good picture with a ruler by it, and they can give you new art.

I gave them a design I did in photoshop, and their artist redrew a lot of my stuff to make it look better.

18. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

I'd like to reproduce this one. My '51 F1 and my '51 Deluxe were both built at the Dallas ford plant.

Attached Files:

19. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Use Laser printer, then clearcoat lightly several times before putting in water. Works good preserves the ink. Better yet use uv potectant clear.
    Lee

20. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Haha probably I got injured again and had surgery.....but fact of the matter is these printer inks don't have uv protection of any kind yes you can clear coat but if you are going for a factory dry look clear isn't right...and some of us are anti vinyl...

21. I'll bet Mutley can make it.

22. Muttley

Muttley

I dont print them, all the decals I have for sale are NOS. Sorry, I cant help.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was thinking that there was someone on here who did reproduce and sell decals but may have thought that Muttley did that along with the originals.

The shops that could do it are no doubt going to want a setup fee and probably want a minimum order along with that.

24. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

If you have a good picture of the decal you want and it is a waterslide decal send it to me I may be able to do it for you,price will depend on how much work I would have to do to the item to make it like new again when printed..I work with a decal company we have the equipment to print all colors including white..here is my email [email protected] please list "Make Decal" in the subject line.

25. kwmpa, anti vinyl rash and had surgery.......is it contagious?
    matte finish clear coat......I reset my inkjet for more contrast, took a lot longer to dry.
    I then covered it with a matte clear sheet, very close to the decal look.

26. beanis

beanis

Hey LoneSpar, send the photo to me and the exact size you want it to be. I'll make you 2 or 3 of 'em at no charge. (sorry Hemiman) I can make it look aged, or brand new. BUT, if I'm ever in the PNW you're gonna haveta buy me a beer....or 12. PM for my email address if that'll help.

27. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

Inkjet, laser that type of printer will not reproduce anything that needs the color white. also the ink will need to be sealed after printing or it will rub off. If placed over any med. to dark color the color transfer will be will be affected because of the nature of the color itself it is very thin and weak the color behind the decal will bleed through and affect the color so to speak. To get white or any good color transfer an Alps type of printer or other commercial printer must be used. Also be very careful what type of paper you use Bell for example sucks, TangoPapa is one of the best

28. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

No Problem Beanis.. long as he gets what he needs..

29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Send me the image and I will do it for Free.

The image we be recreated in vector graphics and it will be printed on a commercial printing machine and should last outdoors for years.

Take a look at my web site and everything you see I have recreated over the past 10 years. http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Make sure to give me the exact size you want because sometimes that's hard to figure from just looking at an image.

Call me if you have any other questions. 727-455-6141

Jim Hill Nostalgic Racing Decals

30. pastlane

pastlane

The ink-jet /laser printer stuff won't work satisfactory for you in this application. Cut vinyl would look like total crap.
    You either need to have them screen printed like the original or someone with a direct to vinyl printer. These days any real sign shop should be equipped with one of these printers (think vehicle wrap graphics). Those inks are uv stable.
    I used to screen print all sorts or decals, posters & apparel but walked away from all that several years ago for bunch of different reasons. #1 reason was I got tired to doing things right only to have my work ripped of by others selling junk.

I dug through my collection but have an original for you.