Register now to get rid of these ads!

Longroofs: nine passenger wagons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead50, Apr 23, 2011.

1. I'm starting to plan my next project, and it's time to really build one for the kids (yes, dear, they're ALL for the kids!). With two sets of twins, that means a long roof (at least until the kids are big enough to sit up front).

My first thought is a 1960 Ford Country Squire. What other factory nine passenger wagons are there, mid-50s to 62 or 63? Any other suggestions on what vehicle to look for?

Pics are always welcome.

Thanks guys!

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My mom had a series of Country Squire station wagons through those years, all nine passenger. Good memories.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    osage orange likes this.
  4. I think the coronet wagons could be had with the way back seat. plus there the best looking in my opinion.... and can come with a 440! :D course I am biased oh yeah.. and you could make a superbee clone with the wagon... with an a-833 4 speed so if the kids are being unruly, lay the hammer down and pin em in their seats lol

osage orange likes this.

5. 58 Edsel Villager wagon came as a 9 seater

67 Olds Vista Cruiser was a 9 seter as well-really cool roof line !

Oldmics

osage orange likes this.
  6. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Didnt a model of 60's Chrysler have two rear benches that faced each other and closed flat when not used?? I swore there was one up here like that

7. Toner283

Toner283

8. 1oldracer

1oldracer

Almost any full size wagon built by the big three had 9 pass available.

9. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

How about an old suburban? Three bench seats and lots of cargo room.

10. The old Buick Superwagons (w/ a straight-8) are soooo cool looking... would love to build one of those for momma one day!

11. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I think any of the big three made 9 pass full size wagons. How about a Caddy hearse or limo?

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yep, all the brands made them.

How about a Mopar...

[​IMG]

13. Don't think I could convince my wife to let me put the kids in a hearse, but the limo idea is pretty cool.

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep 'em coming.

14. I like the Desoto. That would look sweet sectioned a couple inches at the beltline with the headlights pushed down into the grill.

15. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

Here is my 9-passenger Bel Air. Try to find a complete car since wagon specific parts can be hard to locate.
    [​IMG]

16. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

We have a 56 Pontiac 4 door with the 3rd seat. 2nd seat is 90/10 split jump style that fold down flat. Also has wing windows behind the rear door. Cool car but HARD to find parts for.

scotts52 likes this.
  17. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Some mid '60s Vista Cruisers had a 3rd seat. My '65 has a 2 person seat facing forward.

Attached Files:

18. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Im the youngest of seven. the nine of us, two canoes, firewood, and a drum of water would pile into one of these and travel the U.S....Everyone had a door with their name on it, then I was born so I got the cargo area!
    This one isnt ours, just an example of what we had, I will try to dig up a pic of ours.
    I shed a tear the day I sent it to the family truckster final resting place...

19. codeblu

codeblu

I have a 72 Coronet wagon...

20. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

oooppss forgot pic
    [​IMG]

21. chevyshubox

chevyshubox
    from Australia

I have this car which is a friend of mines. It is a factory RHD 62 Bel Air 9 seater wagon. I just finished fitting a 454 with a t 700 trans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. jangleguy

jangleguy

23. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

mine started its life as a 6 passenger - iconverted to a 9 Passeneger prior to re-doing my interior

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Not until 1968, could you get a Coronet nine-passenger wagon with a 440 in it. The 440 came out in B-bodies in 1967, but were then limited pretty much to the Plymouth GTX and Coronet R/T.

I had a '63 Dodge Custom 880 nine-pass wagon with a 361 2-bbl, and a '67 Dodge Polara 383-2 bbl nine-passenger wagon - you can see them in my Pictures. Both were fantastic cars! Also had a '67 GMC Suburban that had '69 Blazer front buckets and both stock rear seats. Now, I have a '71 IH TravelAll with a Perkins turbodiesel! Lots of cool nine-passenger wagons are out there, and all of the US automakers built them over the years.

25. codeblu

codeblu

71 Coronet wagon the biggest you could get was the 383, from 72 up was the 400. I apologize for being somewhat OT.

26. havi

havi

I wouldn't mind finding a '59 Mercury Commuter, myself.

27. Murch

Murch

What about an early 50's Chevy "Tin Woody" or Handyman wagon, they have a third seat option, unfortunately it's hard to find one that actually has the third seat, but it's a pretty awesome wagon probably my favorite of the time.

Murch.

28. fordride

fordride

thats mine. 63 ford country sedan , 390 4 speeds,,, a very fun driver !

Attached Files:

29. NIKKI_C

NIKKI_C
    from Winder

I have a 63' Country Squire thats a 6 passenger but I'm looking to add a rear facing 3rd seat very similar to what "jonaboo" did. That may be another option for you to add 3rd row seating. There is plenty of room to add it.

30. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER