Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Speaker Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Apr 21, 2011.

?
  1. Organ Pipes

35 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Music Notes

56 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

OK. Found these for you in a 1960 Custom Craft.

[​IMG]

And if you click below you'll see the fur lined trunk, angel hair decor, and tons of decorating garbage that just clutters the display area!:D Still...it happened.:cool:

Attached Files:

• fur2.jpg
      fur2.jpg
      File size:
      449.6 KB
      Views:
  2. "I don't give a fuck what you guys do, your grown men..."

"Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

3. Thanks, I love that stuff. I'm totally torn on that shorter stuff I showed you in that one picture, angel hair, or pleates, or just leave it the way it is.

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

YES. Just as long as the fabric dosen`t fray to bad. you have to cut the foam away on the backside. The pic I posted earlier, has 1/4 inch closed cell foam. Use a hole punch and go threw the vinyl and foam at the same time. On your backer board, cut the opening the size of your speaker. I always leave the speaker raised up a little, so the vinyl dosen`t sag.

5. I found a set of 50's or 60's kar tones covers for my panel.....sorta like the musical note one but has a "K" in the middle.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  6. Got a picture? Where did you get them? Sounds exactly what I am looking for:eek:

7. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

HA! Well ok then, I think the whole thing is F%$&ing ridiculous too!

...Not really!

8. Mutt

Mutt

We used just plain chrome speaker covers at the end of the 50s - early 60s on our cars that we showed.

Angle hair is not carpeting or cloth - it's spun glass, and was used by decorators since the early 50s - was noticed by customizers and used mostly in connection with exhaust pipes/lakes pipes before things got stupid in the 60s and it was placed everywhere. This picture of the '55 shows how some ladies did their car in '58 with angle hair around the perimeter.

Mutt

Attached Files:

9. Hmm, do you think any spun glass would have ended up on a package tray in the late '50's? Also were could I get a set of plain chrome speaker covers like the ones you guys used in the '50'?

10. Mutt

Mutt

It could have been placed there for a show, I guess. We didn't use it much because it was a pain in the ass to clean out. It was a bitch to get it out after you use it - the glass fibers will stick to everything just like regular fiberglass insulation does. It's basically the same thing. The only difference I remember is that angel hair was longer strands than insulation and you could get it in different colors.

I would imagine you could find the covers you need at any large custom show/swap. We bought ours at the local Checkers or whatever parts store you had in your town back then. Usually just chrome ovals.
    Mutt

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

12. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

13. Scott K

Scott K

Organ pipes are HOT!!!!!!!!!:p

Attached Files:

14. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Organ or music note speaker covers - I cant wait to see the poll results :rolleyes:

15. I'll post one when I get home, found them on ebay.

16. Awesome thanks!

17. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Still no luck on speaker covers but you might enjoy these from the summer of '63.

Attached Files:

18. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

thats how I did mine...

[​IMG]

19. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Final post on fur.

I know I've see the speaker covers somewhere because when I saw it I couldn't believe it. Still tacky. Just use the one speaker up front. Worked fine then, should still do the job.

Attached Files:

20. Here you go................

Attached Files:

21. Wow, those are exactly what I want. If you plan on selling them let me know. Anybody have a set they would be willing to sell?

22. I would guess the K in the center stands for Kraco.....a company that
    made less expensive radios and car stereos.

Don't know that they're made any more.

[​IMG]

23. modelAfan

modelAfan

why dont you use just stock 56 speaker grills. Ford did make an accessory speaker for the rear deck with a cool speaker grill.

24. look at the second picture I put in, the "K" stands for Kar Tone.

If I remember correctly he had a few pairs, I'll see if I can find his info.

25. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Here ya go...from 1957 JCW. Sorry for the pic quality, the scanner ran it as an illustration.

Attached Files:

26. Thanks, I appreciate it! Now only problem is finding a set like the ones in the picture.

27. Squablow

Squablow

Anyone know what this guy is using? I love this car and I love these speaker covers.

Attached Files:

28. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Hard to say, but that looks like a Dodge Pioneer IIRC and that package tray is kinda big so my long shot guess would be a pair of those vintage ceiling air conditioning vents that look all "space age" with the cones within cones and surrounded with a panel? Who knows? Unique and stylish for sure.

29. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I just used simple flat mesh in my 62 fairlane which is the exact same color as yours inside. Those music notes ones are too much $$$. And organ pipes are more 60's. Clean and simple is better.

30. The chrome music note covers fit that year of car.