Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Barn Find, Late 70's Drag Race Video Game

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3onthetree3, Apr 22, 2011.

1. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I guess not really a video game, more of a mechanical game, but very cool. I plugged it in, and it lights up but I have not tried to play it yet. It has a Camaro as the car in the game, and a cool Hurst shifter for the 4 on the floor, and a bucket seat. I think it would go great in my sons room (he is 2.5), my chick doesnt seem to think so...

And the cool Demolition Derby Game, this one is video, but early, like the Atari 2600 graphics....

Attached Files:

2. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Actually the car in the game is a Corvette....not a Camaro

3. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

The steering wheels on the demolition derby game should be Superior 500's if the game is actually Atari. I had a 10" Black Superior 500 that still had the shaft and horn button from Atari.:cool:

4. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

The Demo game is Chicago Coin, but the steering wheels sure are cool.

5. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

"Your son's room" - I'm thinking living room! Very cool.

6. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Living room is good with me...how do I get my chick to go for it?

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

its easier to beg for forgivness then ask for permission.

8. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I remember playing that game. It made cool noises and the car would wiggle back and forth such that you had to counter steer to keep it "going" straight.

Guys would bang the hell out of the shifter and clutch!

Hope it still works!

9. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Quick info for you...

The Super Shifter game is from 1974, and was made by Allied. Had sounds, a clutch, a shifter, and a working tach. As redlinetoys said above, you had to keep the car straight. Think it had a strobe light type thing too, to mimic moving and speed. You also got 2 races for a quarter.

The Demolition Derby game is from 1977, and was made by Chicago coin. The games screen looked a lot like the Death Race, which was made in the year before by a diff manufacturer.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  10. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

...Double Post...

11. thats cool as hell:cool:

12. We had those games in one of our local taverns... those games took a lot of abuse from drunken patrons!

13. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Wont be much different at my house.

14. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Just got an extension cord and a few quarters. I will let you know....:confused::confused:

15. felix37

felix37

Lucky find! I hope everything works on it. After some clean up and detail work your gal might look at it a bit different?

16. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Plugged her in again, the christmas tree lights worked in sequence, the car make a hot rod sound, but nothing when I put a quarter in...I will try and get her going once I get her home. The demo derby game works well for about 20 minutes, and then it goes out, kind like the tube on an old tv, bet it is not too far off.

17. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Maybe just start referring to the living room as the "game room" and see if it raises any red flags. :)

18. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

:cool: I will give that a try and let you know. She has at least conceded to the attic, so I am in the house. Now just have to work my way downstairs. Bummer with the attic is, I would have to take the window out of the front of the house, and get a LULL to lift the machines up thru the window that is about 30 feet up. Might as well send up the Cadillac Couch the 1971 Egg Chair that she hates just as much as the arcade games.

19. I have been looking for one of those for years!
    If she wins please let me know.

20. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

that is awsome!

21. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Check in the coin box and see if someone has set the drop so you don't need coins to run it . Turn it on, then flick the little spring wire the quarter is supposed to hit several times. It should show games remaining on the back screen and be ready to play. Most arcade games of that era breakdown for shipping and moving easier than you would think. Also they came with a setup/trouble shooting guide and a shop/parts manual. Cool find.

22. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I will keep you posted, but even if she wins, it will most likely go to the garage, I hate to use up precious shop space for it, but might be my only choice.

23. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

Why not just get rid of the girlfriend?

24. There is a manual for that game and sales brochure flyers for sale on feebay for that game. I'd say that's a must have item for your barn find.
    "Chopper" was its two wheeled sister game.

25. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I did see that on Ebay, youre right, must have, Im sure I can get it fired up with that literature. Now I have a mission...Chopper, I have to have one!:D Any pics of the Chopper game?

26. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Here is a quick picture of the Chopper game...I must have one!

Attached Files:

27. looks like you've become addicted:rolleyes:. not hard to see why, i'm sure i would too

28. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

Why didnt I think of that?! But just so you know, she is my wife, isnt that more expensive than just adding on to the garage for the arcade games?

29. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

omg,those are awesome

30. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

Just a word of advice which I'm sure you plan to do...take the back off and with your air gun...gently blow all the dust out of it.. sometime the dust will cause a problem with some of the connections. Good luck...that's a neat find.
    Sonny