Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

1948 setting up to sell Speed Age magazine and other souvenirs.

Attached Files:

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Anybody else notice the fine print that says, "no women...shall be allowed to drive a car or act as pit crew members."?

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I still have a "more tits in the pits" bumper sticker, from the sixties, on my toolbox...

4. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

I asked Jiggs how he was able to stay fresh in the long races at Trenton. He told me he would put newspapers in a bucket of water. then he would stuff them in his uniform and that would keep him cool. He also cut slits to let the air out the back of his helmit. You couldnot get away with that today. He latter gave me that helmit with a note about it.
    Anybody want to see it remind me at the movie party in Nov. I would be happy to show it to you.

5. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

Here's another of the Shanebrook coupe....

[​IMG]

Restored

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  6. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks Bob, thats actually the first car... I have a bit on that one... but not a lot on the 2nd car when it was first run

thanks
    Zach

8. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Here's a couple midgets and 1/4 midgets from the 2010 Winchester Speedway Oldtimer weekend. enjoy! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Buildy

Buildy

Nice!

Love that #51 Quarter midget!

10. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Tommy, there is a push truck behind Jiggs so the fueling has stopped. The push trucks weren't that close while fueling. I don't see a hose or fuel can in the hands of the crew.

11. doctordarryl

doctordarryl
    from NJ

Anyone have a good picture of the #19 Schaefer Gear Works Offy midget that could post or IM to me?

12. baldtireman

baldtireman

I have seen this car at vintage events in the last 10-15 years in Ohio. Still looks the same!!! John S.:D

13. baldtireman

baldtireman

Moe: Glad you thought that was funny. I was serious!!! I also am a racer looking for an advantage! John S.:rolleyes:

14. baldtireman

baldtireman

Internationally famous racer under another name.......Phil Walters!!!:D

15. TommyA19

TommyA19

Tappett was one of the very best from "Back in the day". After midgets died out, he switched to stock cars and excelled in them. After that, he hooked up with Briggs Cunningham with some road racing and again, excelled, winning more than his share of races. He was good enough to land a contract to drive Ssports/racing cars and Formula One Grand Prix cars for Ferrari, which would have started right after Le Mans in 1955. The Levegh accident in which about 100 people were fatally injured, causd Tappett (Walters) to retire on the spot. He's in a few Halls of Fame - the National Midget Auto Racing Hall of Fame (although still not listed on their website, I should add), the New England HoF and the Sebring HoF. He was also voted in as the last "Driver of the Decade" for Watkins Glen.

http://www.near1.com/HALL-OF-FAME/phil_walters.htm

http://www.theglen.com/Articles/2008/09/Phil-Walters-Honored-As-Final-Driver-Of-The-Decade.aspx

An excellent photo of him: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20080924/free/809249997

16. RacingRay

RacingRay

John, you have put some great stuff on this site....love those old pictures. Dad must have past down a wonderful collection....how about some pictures of you?

I was born into the midgets and was a big fan before getting into stock cars.

The picture of Danbury Fairgrounds brings back early memories being there...the picture was a fair date as you can see by the crowd and midway....but if it was a fair day in 1949 that the ARDC midgets were there, Johnny Rice would have been driving the Lataille-Miller #1....the reason I remember that day at Danbury was becasue my mother won me a big panda bear for me !....In later yrs.... late 50's early 60's the midgets ran there once a month and I attended many....one of my favorite cars was the #98 Jim DeMarco Offy driven by Ray Brown...car is now a Ray Everhams Shop on display.

17. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

2010 Himes Museum event

18. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Happy Easter!

Attached Files:

19. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Jim Hendrickson #8
    Ed Brunnhoelzl Sr. #55
    Billy Spade getting into Al DeAngelo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  20. TommyA19

TommyA19

I had the opportunity to do an article about Jim DiMarco and his car - with lots of info from his brother, who, believe it or not, has a different spelling to his last name. Some nice photos, too.
    Interested?
    Go here: http://newenglandtractor.com/racereport/backintime3/pg3-1.htm

21. RacingRay

RacingRay

Tommy19

Thanks for putting the story about Jim DeMarco out....that 98 KK Offy looks great sitting in Ray's place.

In looking at all the names that drove for Jim I did not see Ray Brown's name and perhaps he only drove a few times....or I may be "mixed up" on my drivers....I also remember Ray Brown in the DV 83.

Ray

22. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

TOmmyA19, What a great post Thanks. I put that website in my favorites. Denny Z

23. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Old Bridge, N.J.

Attached Files:

24. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Trenton, N.J.

Attached Files:

25. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

1965 A.R.D.C. standings

Attached Files:

26. coolcorvette

coolcorvette

IMG00149.jpg im not sure if this is one

27. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

There are quite a few guys in the NY/CT area on this board. Has anyone thought about maybe meeting up as a group at some point?

28. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

CT to PA, Good Idea, set a tenative time and place then we can adjust the time and place to get the maximum number of folks. I won't be around for the last half of May and won't be around 6/18 7/16 8/20 9/10 but any other time. Denny Z

29. Surfref32

Surfref32

While at the races Saturday night, a fellow racer pulled up with his new home made two car trailer hauling his and his son's micro sprints. I immediately thought of Pappy Hough and his multi-car trailer. My friend never heard of Pappy. I think I saw it in "Eastern Midget Classics" but I haven't been able to locate a picture online. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Andy Cardinale Jr

30. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Just a suggestion for a possible meeting place for you guys is The Himes Museum of Motor Racing Nostalgia located in Bayshore NY on L.I., Marty has more stuff to look at than you could see in a month! I put together a fb Islip Speedway reunion there last year and we had a awesome time and a great turn out! Give him a call, he would love to hear from you.

http://www.thehimesmuseum.vze.com/