Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Traditional Car Club Association

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoozi, Mar 13, 2011.

1. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Washington State Poised to Take Its Place as
    Hot Rod Nirvana
    Washington Governor to Sign Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Into Law on April 18, 2011

Anyone who has ever tried to license a homebuilt car knows how difficult it can be to title and register it. Not only is the process lengthy, it's frustratingly arduous.

But all that is about to change.

On Monday, April 18, Washington Governor Chris Gregoire will sign into law Senate Bill 5585, which will enact new classifications for custom vehicles, street rods, hot rods, kit cars, replicas, etc.

According to State Senator Michael Carrell, sponsor of the bill (and collector, restorer, and avid car enthusiast in his own right), the new classifications will help streamline the registering and titling process, making it faster and a whole lot easier to take that creation of yours to the street.

"If someone puts a 2009 Ford engine in the body of a 1949 Ford Coupe," says Senator Carrell in a written press release, "there shouldn't be any confusion about how to legally license the vehicle. Moreover, if someone builds a car from the ground up from scrap parts, aftermarket items or custom-manufactured pieces, it could be classified any number of different ways. The new law will establish constancy, and clarify previously unclear registration requirements."

Classifications will break down as follows: Altered vehicles manufactured before 1949 will be categorized as street rods, and altered vehicles at least 30 years old and manufactured after 1948 will be categorized as customs. Kit cars and replica vehicles will be assigned certificates of title bearing the same model years as the production vehicles they most closely resemble.

The law will also acknowledge that original parts may no longer be available, and that technological advancements have created improved materials. It will allow for the use of non-original components and will create a titling criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.

Further, the law will exempt street rods and customs from a range of standard equipment requirements and emissions inspections; vehicles in this class will be held to standards applicable to the designated model year. Finally, the use of "blue dot" taillights will be permitted, a favorite among restorers of classic automobiles.

Mike Dingell, director of the SEMA Action Network (SAN), who worked closely with Senator Carrell to draft the original bill, expressed great satisfaction with the new law. "This type of legislation is a top priority for SAN," he says. "We want enthusiasts to express themselves by building their dream cars and to share them and enjoy them on America's streets." Similar laws have been successful in helping hobbyists title their rides in 21 other states, and SAN is working to add more to that list.

Larry Johnson of Corvette & High Performance and producer of a yearly swap meet in Puyallup, was a great proponent of the bill. "I urged my legislators to vote in favor of it," he says. "It offers a much more rational approach to vehicle equipment requirements for hot rods, customs and kit or replica cars. We owe a big thank you to Mike Carrell for sponsoring the bill, and to all of those in the hobby and industry who took action to let their legislators know of their interests. It definitely made a difference."

To say thanks to Senator Carrell, send your message to him in care of [email protected]. Anyone wishing to attend the bill signing ceremony in the Governor's Conference Room in Olympia as a guest of Senator Carrell's should contact Michelle Lewis at (360) 786-7654 or by e-mail at [email protected].

To say thanks for the help from SEMA/SAN, you can contact Mike Dingell by email at [email protected].

2. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

This helps to make a case for us, as it creates another way to obtain title and registration here. If a car is scratch built and legally titled and registered in another state, and someone here in California buys it, California has to accept and recognize that car/title/registration as valid. As explained in the following statement from Robert Morgaster, Asst. Attorney General...

The States Assistant Attorney General Mr. Morgester confirmed in the March 2010 issue of Sports Car Market that the State of California MUST accept valid out of State titles. That means that if a Cobra replica is legally registered as a 1965 in say Oregon (which would be correct in that State), the State of CA must accept that registration and the car would essentially be smog exempt.

3. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Thanks again bruce for posting legislative updates, I hope you will continue to due so, I shure apreciate the help.

4. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Alot of you have sent me e-mails asking how you can help the T.C.C.A., you can send e-mails, fax letters and phone calls to try to convince law makers to oppose this bill, Tell them how the T.C.C.A. represents a younger generation of hot rodders and custom car builders, and how our hobby keeps younger guys off of drugs and gangs, list positive things aboat our hobby, how we do charity work and offer a social life for a younger generation. be unbias in your political comments , for we need help from both camps in preventing the passage of this bill, once a bill is passed, it is nearly impossible to revoke, it takes an army of lawyers, thousands of dollars and endless years of litigation to repeal a bill, contact organizers opposing this bill , and ask how we can help.I think that even if a lot of us are not residents of the state of Connecticut, we can influence lawmakers juggments, and together we can make a difference.

5. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Guys, this is'nt an april fools joke, $2500.00 personal property tax , on every vintage vehicle you own!

6. Good to hear that, now make that fucker pay:eek:

7. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

We are getting closer to getting organized, I'll try to get some of the work done this weekend, I am looking into an event insurrance policy that the different car clubs can purchass for any show they would want to organize, are they any insurance brokers in the T.C.C.A. ? The San Diego Car Club Concil used to offer an event insurance for around 200.00dlls for any car club that wanted to host an event. I think this is an important service we could offer the T.C.C.A. members, though each event should make the atendants sign a release of liability form , it's always good to offer a little extra protection. They are other things the T.C.C.A. could try to get a group rate on , if anyone has suggestions , please post them.

8. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

The T.C.C.A. is a tool that the clubs can use to socialize, the event insurance is for a show that a group of clubs will be charging admision, the minute you charge someone admision, you incure in a liability, what you guys call the show or how you run it, is up to you. The T.C.C.A. will be having one , maybe two oficial santioned events, for informal get togethers, cruizes , you guys should be alright , as long as you don't charge anyone to attend. the reason I am posting this , is that their are always going to be people looking to trip or fall on a banana peel or ice cream cone, also , you should always use part of your profits towards a chairity, this makes good public relations with the city or town you are having your show at, as well as keeping the tax man off your back.

9. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Got this email the other day:

Thought you might like this. I just sent it to our paper, The Union. We'll see if it get published.

Ron

Inherit the Wind: E-15 and Worldwide Famine

In January of this year the EPA approved E-15, which raises the ethanol requirement in the fuel for our cars to 15%. Made from corn, ethanol absorbs moisture while in the tank, which causes lower octane and reduced engine efficiency. Also, many car (especially pre-2007) and small gasoline engines will be ruined by this mixture. A example of this is a Craftsman snow blower I bought about a year ago whose warranty is voided if gas with an ethanol content higher than 10% is used. How many boat engines, chain saws, lawn mowers and such have the same caveat? Obviously the manufacturers of such engines are aware of the problems with ethanol, even if lawmakers are not. Or they don’t care.

Why was this enacted? Greens (normally Democrats) think this will reduce emissions, which has dubious substantiation, and because it is a “renewable energy.” Republican Congressmen from farm states support it because farmers see higher profits in producing corn for fuel than in raising food products. Obviously, this is not a party issue, but one of logic.

What we have done in haste in the name of the environment and “renewable energy” may well give us no time to repent in leisure.

In 2007, Fidel Castro (a man with whom I have little common ground) wrote: “The tragedy does not lie in reducing those energy costs but in the idea of converting food into fuel. . . . It is known very precisely today that one ton of corn can only produce 413 liters of ethanol on average, according to densities. That is equivalent to 109 gallons. . . . Apply that recipe to the countries of the Third World and you will see that people among the hungry masses of the Earth will no longer eat corn. Or something worse: lend funding to poor countries to produce corn ethanol based on corn or any other food and not a single tree will be left to defend humanity from climate change.”

But is this merely a Castro polemic against capitalism, one that has little credence with experts in food production? No.

“Turning food into fuel for cars is a major mistake on many fronts,” said Janet Larsen, director of research at the Earth Policy Institute, an environmental group based in Washington. “One, we’re already seeing higher food prices in the American supermarket. Two, perhaps more serious from a global perspective, we’re seeing higher food prices in developing countries where it’s escalated as far as people rioting in the streets.”

“This is the new face of hunger,” said Josetta Sheeran, director of the World Food Program. “People are simply being priced out of food markets. … We have never before had a situation where aggressive rises in food prices keep pricing our operations out of our reach.”

Robert Zoellick, president of the World Bank, recently cited rising food prices as the main threat to poor nations who risk "losing a generation." From 2010 to 2011, corn (maize) prices have risen the most, a whopping 74%.

What of the argument that at least it reduces pollution? In an interview with NPR (not a bastion of Conservatism) on April 18, 2007, Professor Mark Jacobson of Stanford University stated, “What we found was that in certain parts of the country, in fact most of the country - like in Los Angeles, in the northeastern U.S., in parts of the Midwest - you get increases in ozone due to converting to ethanol. If you weighed the changes in ozone by the population distribution of the U.S., you get a net increase in the death rate and hospitalization rate due to ethanol.”

A “renewable energy” that is inefficient, destructive, raises pollution and contributes to worldwide hunger should be opposed by all, no matter what their political persuasion. Instead, led by politicians with no scientific expertise, we blindly rush like lemmings over the precipice.

10. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I put 5 bucks of gas in my 46 ford, it sat for 7 weeks and I found that part of the gas turned to water, I had to drain the tank , and clean the carburador, the new gas also eats fuel lines, I guess our older cars are not made to run on this newer gas, I usally buy Tijuana gas, it has a higher sulfur content, but I have never had the problem with it turning into moisture, so I guess I'll put up with the smelly mexican gas, maybe it's made out of beans and not corn, I did hear that a mexican scientist was able to make gasoline from tequila, man , that would make your car fly.

11. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I'll be having some meetings with some of the regional group representatives this week , so we can get back on track.

12. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Another email sent to me yesterday:

To all,
    While this is a subject that I would just as soon forget about, there is still a little ugly unknown out there, in the form of AB -2461, the vehicle amnesty bill. From time to time, I do a bit of searching and checking on this little bugger, to see if anything is quietly moving with it. I'll share my latest findings with you...

For a bit of history, AB-2461 is a revised version of AB-619, the vehicle amnesty program, authored by SEMA and Sen. Emmerson. This bill requires anyone with an "improperly registered" vehicle to go down to your local DMV, hand over your current title and registration, and restart the registration of the offending vehicle. In addition, the vehicle's actual value is to be determined, and any past deficiencies of fees are retroactive. They appear to have dropped the "undervalued vehicle" portion (of the AB-619 bill), which could have affected anyone that had under reported the value of any vehicle.

The original amnesty bill, AB 619, was replaced by amended version, AB-2461 (chartered 9/28/2010), and is supposed to go into effect from July 2011 to June 2012. The last recorded activity was 9/28/2010. It is unknown if there will be any effort to implement it, or if it will quietly go away. We can only hope.

A few portions that I find interesting, are the wordings in AB-2461 vs. what's actually written elsewhere, and the inconsistencies. By the way, the following Sec. 1.5 was NOT in the original AB-619, it was added in AB-2461.

SEC. 1.5. (supposedly current law, per AB-2461 chartered)
    Section 4750.1 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read: 4750.1. (a) (1) The department shall annually register no more than the first 500 vehicles that have model years determined in accordance with the requirements of Section 44017.4 (SB-100) of the Health and Safety Code that apply to the department for registration pursuant to this section.

Well, the following is what is actually listed on the DMV site as "current law"...

Section. 4750.1. (a) If the department receives an application for registration of a specially constructed passenger vehicle or pickup truck after it has registered 500 specially constructed vehicles during that calendar year pursuant to Section 44017.4 of the Health and Safety Code, and the vehicle has not been previously registered, the vehicle shall be assigned the same model-year as the calendar year in which the application is submitted, for purposes of determining emissions inspection requirements for the vehicle.

(b) (1) If the department receives an application for registration of a specially constructed passenger vehicle or pickup truck that has been previously registered after it has registered 500 specially constructed vehicles during that calendar year pursuant to Section 44017.4 of the Health and Safety Code, and the application requests a model-year determination different from the model-year assigned in the previous registration, the application for registration shall be denied and the vehicle owner is subject to the emission control and inspection requirements applicable to the model-year assigned in the previous registration.

Now the red wording above WAS ammended by by AB-619. But NONE of this wording is consistant. The latest ammendement listed to Sec. 4750.1 (as posted on the DMV site) was done Jan 1, 2011, and isn't even close to what's being listed as "current law". They obviously aren't done playing with this.

Sec. 1.5 of AB-2461, also added the following wording, which does not show up in DMV...

(2) The 500-vehicle annual limitation does not apply to the renewal of registration of a specially constructed vehicle that was previously registered by the department.

Now enter SB-165 (Sen. Lowenthal). This bill was an add on to AB-2461. It appears to me, he was trying to alter the supposedly "existing" wording above...

Sec. 4750.1. (a) (1) The department shall annually (provide a registration or change of registration to) register no more than the first 500 vehicles that have model years determined in accordance with the requirements of Section 44017.4 of the Health and Safety Code that apply to the department for registration (or change of registration) pursuant to this section. (wordings in red gets removed in the amended version)

Yet the ammended wording above, seems to already have taken place, if you read the "current" version of Sec. 4750.1 above. How can a bill that's "inactive" have ammended existing law? SB-165 ain't been doing much...

SB-165,

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 08/31/2010
    LAST HIST. ACTION : Placed on inactive file on request of Assembly Member
    Charles Calderon.
    FILE : ASM INACTIVE FILE
    FILE DATE : 10/07/2010
    And then there is this wording at the end of both SB-165 and AB-2461...
    SEC. 3. Section 2.5 of this bill incorporates amendments to Section 4750.1 of the Vehicle Code proposed by both this bill andAB 2461. It shall only become operative if (1) both bills are enacted and become effective on or before January 1, 2011, (2) each bill amends Section 4750.1 of the Vehicle Code, and (3) this bill is enacted after AB 2461, in which case Section 2 of this bill shallnot become operative.

So that's about all I know, and it's clear as mud. To summerize, it looks to me, that Sen. Lowenthal was trying to tweak something in his follow up bill (SB-165), probably trying to remove the option of re-registering an amnesty vehicle through
    the SB-100 program. This was one of their major reasons for wanting to kill AB-1740, they wanted the amnesty vehicles to be smogged as new cars. While I think it's best not to ask questions, and risk stirring up something that may die on it's
    own, we do need to keep a close watch on this, and be ready to act if something starts up again. And please, let's keep this amongst ourselves for now, as to not create a hysteria.
    Let me know what you all think.
    Thanks, EddieB.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  13. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I agree Bruce, Thanks again for holding the fort for me, I have been busy lately , and I really apreciate you posting this stuff,

14. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Going to the ACCC LAG meeting tomorrow and will post up any info that comes from it.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Willie, Bro as 1 of the first 3 in. Do the Hamb and me a favor, Give us an intro ;).

16. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

For those of you in California, I have just been appointed to the Association of California Car Clubs (ACCC) Legislative Action Group (LAG) for Northern California. We will be keeping on top of all the bills be brought before the senate and also suggest or ralley for new one or changes in old ones. That's where you come in. If you have any suggestions pass them on to me and I will make sure they are heard.

For those of you that aren't familiar with ACCC, check out the web site at http://acccdefender.org

ACCC has been around for 39 years and has been very helpful in some of the laws passed that allow us to drive our older cars on the road today.

17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Johnny, please excuse my friend Willy, he is not familiar with the hamb. protocol, I have been inviting a lot of my close friends from other car clubs to join the hamb. Willy spends most his time building model A hot rods for a living, so you will always find him with a wrench in his hand, or at all the So.Cal swappmeets chassing down parts, willy goes to almost all the car shows in So .Cal. Besides me , he is close friends with Aces 52, Justin B. and the Shifters, and the Gearheads . His personal car was a nicely built Brown model A two door sedan, which he just sold, and he just finished a A roadster that was in the Suede Palace, Willy is a stand up guy, and is always helpful, I hope this helps out a little with his intro. and I feel Willy will be a good asset to the Hamb.

18. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Congrats. Bruce, as always , keep us posted with any legislative news, or if there is anything we can do to help the A.C.C.C. ,

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Magoozi, just yank'n Willies chain is all ;). Willie knows I posted that. And yes, he is good a man.

20. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

The Association of California Car Clubs (ACCC) Legislative Conference will be held May 11-13, 2011 at the California Automobile Museum located at 2200 Front Street in Sacramento, California.

This is a conference that all car enthusiasts should think about attending. It is a time when you can get the undivided attention of legislators and regulators as well as agencies like the CHP and DMV. Representatives from both the California State Senate and Assembly will be making a presentation and will be available to answer your questions and concerns about any current or future legislation that may affect the hobby. Also representatives from the Air Resources Board and Bureau of Automobile Repair will be presenting. A special guest speaker from the Historical Vehicle Association of America will be flying in from Michigan to speak on Thursday May 12th. On May 13th there will be a tour of two private collections that you must see.

Registration forms can be accessed on the website at acccdefender.org or call one of the ACCC directors posted on the website as well.

21. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Subject: Three Regulatory Notices for a Public Hearing on June 23-24, 2011

The California Air Resources Board is announcing a public Board hearing for
    the following regulatory items: Area Designations for State Ambient Air
    Quality Standards, Heavy-Duty Diesel In-Use Compliance Regulation, and
    Ocean-Going Vessels Within California Waters and 24 Nautical Miles of the
    California Baseline.

Date: June 23, 2011
    Time: 9:00 a.m
    1001 I Street, 2nd Floor
    Byron Sher Auditorium
    Sacramento, California 95814

Directions: http://www.calepa.ca.gov/EPABldg/location.htm

To make comments or view the hearing notices for each item please go to:
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/lispub/comm/bclist.php

1) Area Designations for State Ambient Air Quality Standards

This notice and the associated regulatory materials can be accessed from the
    Air Resources Board's website at:
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2011/area11/area11.htm

Inquires concerning the substance of the proposed regulations may be
    directed to the designated agency contact persons: Ms. Gayle Sweigert,
    Manager, Air Quality Analysis Section, (916) 322-6923, or Ms. Marcella
    Nystrom, Staff Air Pollution Specialist, Air Quality Analysis Section, at
    (916) 323-8543.

2) Heavy-Duty Diesel In-Use Compliance Regulation

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2011/hdiuc11/hdiuc11.htm

Inquiries concerning the substance of the proposed regulation may be
    directed to the designated agency contact persons: Mr. Stephan Lemieux,
    Manager, On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Section, at (626) 450-6162, or Mr. Dipak
    Bishnu, Air Resources Engineer, On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Section, at (626)
    575-6696.

3) Ocean-Going Vessels Within California Waters and 24 Nautical
    Miles of the California Baseline

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2011/ogv11/ogv11.htm

Inquiries concerning the substance of the proposed regulation may be
    directed to the designated agency contact persons, Peggy Taricco, Manager of
    the Technical Analysis Section, at (916) 323-4882, or Bonnie Soriano, Air
    Resources Engineer, at
    (916) 327-6888.

22. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

is this A union? also we still have SEMA out there too.

23. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

subscribing. count me in, btw

24. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Of coarse we have SEMA, and we are here to support SEMA in any way we can , we are all fighting the same battle, the purpose of the association is to make the younger generation , aware of the problems we are facing.

25. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Well thanks to Jason Sharp from the Aces, I won't have to scrap my trailer full of vintage car parts, he lent me a shed at his pad, As always, my brothers from the Aces to the rescue!

26. The Helldivers will be at Ink N Iron with all our cars on display, do you want us to take any flyers for the TCCA there? We will be with Huggy the whole time so I'm sure he can give them to us if need be. One of our cars will be in the dome so I'm sure that we can use that as an avenue to get some more word out about the TCCA.

27. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I'll try to make it to the foster's freeze this thursday on warring rd. maybe we can meet up.

28. Sorry I didn't see your post until today. I'm working late all next week but maybe we can meet up sometime next weekend for a few minutes. PM me and let me know whats a good time and place for you.

29. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I have been busy too, I drove my 39 to work that day, so I could go to foster freeze later, but my fuel pump started to fail, so I went home, it turn out it was just the fuel filter, I will get in touch with you later.

30. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Another email I received:
    Just wanted to throw out my two cents on what I think may be happening here...

From what I know, the big push for green rod engine packages came from SEMA and the amnesty bill. The original intent was to force these amnesty vehicles to be current smog compliant, and the E-ROD engine package was to provide the means for this to take place. SEMA was in to help GM cut a fat hog. But there was a hiccup, in that CARB, BAR and the rest, couldn't agree, and the engine manufacturer (GM) couldn't quite meet all the lofty demands. The end result, was to drop the visual inspection portion from the amnesty program, and go with a tailpipe only test, of which the exact standards are still a mystery. It is unknown if something other than an E-ROD package could comply. I spoke with Chuck Cole at length about this, and didn't get an answer.

But I believe SEMA and the Detroit boys (GM, and now Ford) have their sights set on something bigger, and that's what this is about. They want CARB to certify their engine packages, as 50 state legal, plug-in-and-go, for special construction vehicles. This would allow anyone who wants to build any type of vehicle, to be 100% smog compliant, by simply buying and installing one of the engine packages in said vehicle.

The impact would be profound; now all those new steel bodies (Camaro, Mustang, tri five Chevy) being built would have a smog legal powerplant and could be registered at will, without the need for an SB-100 exemption, as currently there is no limit on registering SCV's that are current smog compliant...

4750.1. (a) If the department receives an application for registration of a specially constructed passenger vehicle or pickup truck after it has registered 500 specially constructed vehicles during that calendar year pursuant to Section 44017.4 of the Health and Safety Code, and the vehicle has not been previously registered, the vehicle shall be assigned the same model-year as the calendar year in which the application is submitted, for purposes of determining emissions inspection requirements for the vehicle.

Anyhow, that's my theory. We'll see how it plays out.
    EddieB
    Eddie is an excellant anylist and right on. I can see also, additional legislation that will adversely affect our hobby. As SEMA represents the Mfg's & Distibuters, they are only concerned with selling us product and this doesn't always blend well with the Hobbyists best interest.

As you can currently register your SCV or whatever (4750.1) as a 2011 and comply with smog reg's, why do you need to change anything? All that is needed is an CARB Exec. Order letter to make these engine kits legal. I fear CARB may be starting a process to eliminate the "500" limit and posibly change 44011, the "older than 1976" law. Beware, CARB is not our friend.

Keep the Faith.......Don B.