Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock / Henderson Roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zaemo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

I am looking for any photo's/specs of these two roadsters. My next project is going to be in this vein. Unfortunately, the pics of the Henderson roadster in TRJ are very dark. If you are a fan of these roadsters, could you please share your full sized photo's with me via e-mail? Any pictures of the restorations of these would really help. Much appreciated.

Z

[email protected]

2. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

So.... a thread on "hot rod car couches" has 42 replies and 2,684 views yet there is not one reply regarding these two hot rods that were instrumental in starting all of this.

Wow.

This place has changed.

3. alchemy

alchemy

Was it Rod and Custom that featured the Edelbrock roadster after it's resto a couple years ago? It was on the cover, pictured on a dry lake. You ought to get a copy of that magazine. Probably 2008 or so.

4. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I feel you buddy, I posted the whole history of my car with pictures I was so exited about what I wrote and found out. I got one reply since. I guess it was only neat to me and in the big scope of things thats all that really matters. I wish I could help you out with pics but I unfortuatly don't have any. I will look around though and update if I find anything.

5. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

6. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

Thanks Alchemy, I'll look that up.
    Yeah, I have seen that thread, gunswanted. I may contact A32flathead and Mike Longley directly.
    Judging by your wanted list, you're up to something fun.
    Now back to the traditional furniture chat...............

Z

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The Rodders Journal 32 Ford DEUCE book ( 75 top 32's ) has a good photo of the the Edelbrock roadster. I saw it in LA back at the 75th anniversary and it is PERFECT now.

8. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

I'm hoping Santa brings me that Deuce book for X-Mas!

Z

9. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

10. You should have asked about motor homes or the Amercican Graffiti cars.

11. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

.....or posted some of my cartoon "art" of yet another monster in a hot rod and called it original.

Z

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

DAAAMMMNNNN!!!

Bump because I want to see pics of these too.

13. MikeLongley

MikeLongley
    from Florida

I am so low tech it isn't even funny. But I know the Henderson '32 like the back of my hand. Grew up in it. Restored it with my dad. Reunited Pete with it. Before it went to Whitworth's collection we took measurements and specs in order to possible clone it later. I'd be happy to answer any tech. I can try to find someone with computer smarts later but feel free to fire away.
    Regards- Mike

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you can get a hold of rodster on here, he is the current owner of the henderson car. He just finished having it completely restored, I am sure he can provide any info or pics you need

15. slammed

slammed

How many times does a historical car(s) need to be praised? How often? There has to a new infusion of fresh builds, evolution and tech.

16. alchemy

alchemy

You can't over-praise the classics. And where does fresh evolution and tech fit into "traditional"?

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

exactly

18. slick a&t

slick a&t

A couple from my saved pics

Attached Files:

19. slick a&t

slick a&t

Yet a few more.Hope these help.

Attached Files:

20. slammed

slammed

New blood. To continue the hobby. Yes you can over praise the classics. Power tool's. for one in the tech, plasma cutter, ect.

21. alchemy

alchemy

I agree that modern tools are nice, but they don't show in a finished traditional car. As for modern tech on cars (LED lights, serpentine belts, radial tires) I would not call such cars "traditional". Those builders may try at traditional, but they fall short.

22. MikeLongley

MikeLongley
    from Florida

This thread is all about a guy asking for something specific. Info on 2 historic roadsters. He wasn't overpraising them. Just saying he likes the style. If you want to start a thread devoted to all new built and styled rods then go for it. It would be apprciated just as much as all of this traditional stuff. Some guys are tired of people praising the period cars over and over. I'm kind of tired of finding posts on this message board, which is supposedly devoted to traditional hot rods and kustoms, basically slamming them. If it aint' for you then find another thread but don't crap all over this guy.

23. slammed

slammed

Not 'crapping' on the thread. I am fully aware of the 'non-traditional' threads that abound the board. The original and minimalist style of OUR predecessors is to maintained and held in regard, without fail. The heading of the thread drew me to see (maybe) new pix/story of the old flames. Not to fan flames. It then spun where it did. I will not be misunderstood. Nor told where to go.

24. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

I thought this thread was dead. I was really surprised at how little actual information or pictures were present here on the HAMB concerning these two hot rods . I could probably find hundreds and thousands of posts and photo's regarding more modern builds here using a mixture of early and late parts yet practically zero info on two cars that were painstakingly rebuilt to their original specs with the most authentic and correct to original parts and techniques. If these two cars have been "over-praised" here on the HAMB, where are all the pictures and discussions regarding their construction, restoration and impact on our hobby?
    The early cars are far more interesting to me because of their history. These are the actual cars that started this hobby. It shocked me a bit when I started this thread that only a few people seemed interested; kind of like visiting the Library of Congress and finding only current magazines. I'm stuck in the past as far as cars are concerned and that suits me personally. My builds keep getting earlier and earlier in style with my next build being from the 40's, hence starting this thread. I also want a 55 Chevy Wagon to drive my girls around in and can appreciate that era also. I drive a 2007 Chevy pick up because I love it and need it too, not that I would post about it here. I did not check back on this post because I contacted Mike Longley directly and he has been kind enough to share a few things about the Henderson roadster that will guide me through my next build. Maybe I will run a thread about that build that will maybe help another person connect with the history. The sign on the door here says "Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs."

Thanks to those that posted pictures they have. I may scan some photo's I have if anyone is interested.

25. slammed

slammed

Rod and Custom magazine had the Vic Sr. car on the cover w/ article inside the past year or so. Remember, this web site roll's way faster than it did even a few years ago. Threads get buried. Quick. The sign on the door is correct. You do work for Hetfield?

26. what's up Chad, it's been awhile...ya outta post a few pics of the new build. I'd assume the chevy is gone, as the flathead in avatar

27. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Mike, this quote piqued my interest. Other than the chopped windshield, top, headlight bar/ sealed beam headlights, hopped-up flathead, and '35 wires w/ big & little whitewalls...the Henderson roadster looks to be an essentially restored stock '32 Roadster with the fenders pulled off.

Sure there is the filled grille shell, the dash insert/gauges and steering wheel that are departures from original, but externally there isn't much else that really sets the Henderson Roadster apart.

I can't make out anything suspension-wise that's any different than a stocker. What did you take measurements of to clone later? I could see taking measurements and a pattern of the top and top bows, but is there something else to the Henderson Roadster that makes it unique?

To the casual observer (me), this seems like it would be a relatively easy car to clone.

I am not down playing the significance or beauty of the car, I think it's great. I saw it at the 75th Deuce gathering at the GNRS, and there is definitely something about the car that draws you in....maybe it IS the fact that it is essentially a fenderless stocker with a good wheel/ tire combo and chopped top.

Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience with the car...it's more appreciated than you know.

-Brian

28. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

Brian,
    I think that if I had returned this car to it's first incarnation, I would have measured everything, also. I think what Mike has is all of the things that made it what it was. How high are the front and rear frame horns off the ground? How many leaves were taken out? How and where were the top bars cut? How many snaps are used to hold the top on? How is the gauge panel positioned, exactly? What steering wheel is that, anyway? What cam is in it again? What are the lobe specs on that? Were any factory rivets removed or replaced? Is the seat stock height or has it been lowered? How, by tying the springs tightly or cutting the seat riser? Does the steering box have the original ratio or were later gears used? Does it have a GEMMER steering box? Was it an early or late frame? Does it use the inner frame shock plates that were added as a service upgrade? The front spring isn't an original tapered end spring, it has square ends which is a service upgrade or just a 33-34 spring. ??? I can't tell what pitman arm is on it. Exactly how is the copper line run for the tank pressure pump? What's the OD of that tube and what kind of pump was used? Was that pump stock or modified? How was the ignition wired? Is it 6V or 12V? What are those tail lights, anyway? Are they Yankee's? What model number? Did they come off of a Harley? What year? What gears are in the trans? LZ's? 25 or 26 tooth LZ's? Should I continue?
    I was hope to pick this info from Mike's brain a little at a time.

Chad

29. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Sorry to open this up again but does anybody have pictures of the interior of this car? What year headlights? What year flathead is that as well? I love everything about this car and I really can't find any stats on it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014