Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shift a 350 trans with a 2spd column shifter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin LL, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Hi.

Just got a '63 Biscayne last weekend and I dont like the floor ratchet shifter thats in it. I know theres kits to hook up a trans and such and I could probably just make the linkage to hook up the trans to the column shifter. And right now there is no shift lever on the column. So my question is before I get into a pointless project is will the column shifter that worked with a 2 spd power glide work with a 3 spd turbo 350? What mods will I have to do to the column shifter?

Thanks ahead of time for any info.

2. potshot

potshot
    from MT

The PG linkage is quite a bit different than the TH 350/400 type. It would take some fabrication/adaptation to get a decent working linkage. If you have the funds, the Lokar shifters are high quality and work well.

3. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Low buck is the only option for me, the Lokars are sweet though. Im not worried about the actual linkage itself. if need be I can make one or modify one to work from a 350 trans if I had to. I would have to figure there are detents in the column for P R N 1 2 only right?. If so other than swapping a newer column in, is there a way to modify that?

Reasoning for this is I want a more original look. My wife will drive it also and a good working column shifter for a auto is easy to work. It has some goofy shifter in there now where you have to lift it to get it out of park, reverse, and drive, and it is a p.i.t.a. I can do it now, but I just dont like it. The car is a good driver, with a few details to attend to, this is one, and car money is tight right now. And if Im stuck with that fugly hole in the column for now I might as well use it if I can. lol.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The detents are not in the column, they are in the transmission.

5. mj40's

mj40's

Correct me if I'm wrong; but aren't the column detents only in Park, Reverse and Neutral? From drive down you would have to have enough travel to add the extra gear in a 350th.

6. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Gimpy thats what I was looking for. Now to find a correct pr321 lens around also.

7. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Cut master, thats the type of linkage I was thinking of.

Thanks guys. Gotta get rid of the fuggly tunnel shifter. lol.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  9. 63 linkage should work with a little adjusting.

10. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I have a Turbo350 in a '65 Olds Vista Cruiser that came with a two speed trans. My column shift works just fine after a little adjustment. I left the original lens and all that stuff. I just put it in drive and away we go.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Detents, no, safety stops, yes. The mechanism that keeps you from just slipping it out of park, or jamming it into reverse are in the column. The mechanism that makes the lever stop at each gear, park and neutral, are in the transmission.

12. my first car a 68 firebird originally had a power glide in it i had a turbo350 put in ran the column shifter with no problems when its in low you can see the indactor outside of the prndl lens

13. kirby1374

kirby1374

We used the factory column on a 55. I went to the wrecking yard and bought a rod and shift cross piece from an old chevy truck. I then just started bending and grinding and it all worked. I also ground a bit on the column shift safety detents.

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done it on 55's and a 66 Nova--used kugel shift rod and arms-I think the safety notches for park and reverse are very important-also do it on stock 40 Ford columns and make a safety detent/lock plate for safety-

15. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

We have a retro kit with detents, park only start , & linkage for $130 or use your own linkage to trans for $100 easy stuff & safe, no starting in gear !!! no shifting into reverse while going forward !!! You can check it out on our web site.

16. I put a powerglide into the wifes rambler american and used the stock column shifter, like everyone says the detents are in the trans. It actually worked really well. that extra gear on yours should be no problem

17. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

18. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Lol. Yeah, it needed to be super low budget. Car funds come from me either selling parts (Ive sold most everything) or from money I get from side work. So low budget is the only way. Sometimes I realize its gonna save ya $ to spend more on certain parts. But in this situation I think what I found will do the job fine. As long as the stuffs not paper thin. Ill report back. Now to find a cheap shift lever, anyone got a good used one for a non tilt column cheap or even better?

19. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Got all my parts to do this. And also a trans to replace the one in it, doin seals and a shift kit while its out. Its giving me a headache but I keep pushing on. Once the new trans is in and I try it with the old shifter I will swap in the new linkage, already have the shift lever on and it has all the right stops in the column working. Getting there.

20. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Thanks for the insight, got it done. Ended up extending the bracket at the trans so that it would have less throw. Was gonna try and drill out the arm on the column to move the mount in, but that is some hard metal and it didn't like holes, a small sharp drill bit didn't do much so I extended the lower bracket instead. Also ended up using a 2" (I believe) bolt and cut the head and a coupler and two jam nuts to extend the rod itself, so it would reache the bracket on the trans and be in a good position. Very happy with the results, I get all gears and they line up with the stops in the column and detents in the trans. I'm a happy Hot Rodder. Perfext timing to get it to the JCW show sunday, would love to go to Torque fest but I'm short on both time and $

21. Kevin LL

Kevin LL
    from Plainfield

Drove it all summer, worked great. Thanks for all the input.